Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2013, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by Brandykins View Post
Aw he is a beauty - and so big! Tonks is a wee beauty as well. Those are lovely photos

Thanks for sharing
Thank you. He makes Tonks look tiny...and she is actually big for a staffie, especially a bitch, she is 22 inches tts.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-09-2013, 05:49 AM
Both Remus and Tonks are absolutely gorgeous! xx

When you first got him did you have any idea he would grow so much? He looked so little and innocent in the "first day" photo - now he looks ginormous and innocent!
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-09-2013, 06:36 AM
I can't find enough adjectives to convey how gorgeous your two dogs are - beautiful.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2013, 07:40 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Both Remus and Tonks are absolutely gorgeous! xx

When you first got him did you have any idea he would grow so much? He looked so little and innocent in the "first day" photo - now he looks ginormous and innocent!
Well...he was predicted to stop growing 3 inches ago! I guessed he was going to be pretty big though. The first time are vet saw him he was amazed and said 'wow! He's growing like a weed! Look at those growth plates!'

I don't know much about growth plates really...do they to close until they are completely mature? We do have fairly long walks an hour and a half upwards now, but I bend the walk rule a little because when we are walking with the girls we can be in same spot for five or ten minutes often..you know how toddlers and preschoolers are! Tonks will go off charging through undergrowth and wrestling with logs, sometimes Remus joins her but mostly he mooches with us, the sprints, then trots, then more mooching.
Originally Posted by Baxter8 View Post
I can't find enough adjectives to convey how gorgeous your two dogs are - beautiful.
Thank you. Like I've said before, I just don't understand why black dogs aren't seen as special or attractive! They are so low maintenance and stunning! All I do is feed them their individual types of kibble, give them water, stroke them....and very very occasionally run a brush over them. Tonks has quite a bit of medication fir her atopy..but the vets always amazed at how good her coat is for an itchy dog.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-09-2013, 08:13 AM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Well...he was predicted to stop growing 3 inches ago! I guessed he was going to be pretty big though. The first time are vet saw him he was amazed and said 'wow! He's growing like a weed! Look at those growth plates!'

I don't know much about growth plates really...do they to close until they are completely mature? We do have fairly long walks an hour and a half upwards now, but I bend the walk rule a little because when we are walking with the girls we can be in same spot for five or ten minutes often..you know how toddlers and preschoolers are! Tonks will go off charging through undergrowth and wrestling with logs, sometimes Remus joins her but mostly he mooches with us, the sprints, then trots, then more mooching.
Putting it simply, it is like a human - starts off as a baby and grows until they have finally reached their adult height. Until then the growth plates carry on growing, lengthening arms [in a human] and legs in both humans and dogs. Once adult height is reached the growth plates stop growing and the bones are solid and permanent at that length.

Sort of like the fontanels in a newborn do not close until their heads have stopped growing. Then the fontanels close and the skull is solid.

I hope you understand my very simplified explanation!
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-09-2013, 10:21 AM
Just.. wow!

They're both so gorgeous, I love their shiny coats!
Remus must be crossed part horse, look at the size of him! lol
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2013, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Putting it simply, it is like a human - starts off as a baby and grows until they have finally reached their adult height. Until then the growth plates carry on growing, lengthening arms [in a human] and legs in both humans and dogs. Once adult height is reached the growth plates stop growing and the bones are solid and permanent at that length.

Sort of like the fontanels in a newborn do not close until their heads have stopped growing. Then the fontanels close and the skull is solid.

I hope you understand my very simplified explanation!
Ah yes I do, thank you! He often limps after a sprint, but never one particular leg... And it can change legs in the course of one walk. I've put it down to growing pains/clumsiness/not sure so far. It never lasts long and he's fine again by the end of a walk. I'm just keeping my eye on it.

Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Just.. wow!

They're both so gorgeous, I love their shiny coats!
Remus must be crossed part horse, look at the size of him! lol
Haha... I think so too!
Vicky88
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-09-2013, 06:00 PM
Wow, I had no idea that he was that big. Still a lovely dog though.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2013, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by Vicky88 View Post
Wow, I had no idea that he was that big. Still a lovely dog though.
I'm a big dog person really..but he's the biggst I've had.
TazJas
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-09-2013, 10:23 AM
Lovely dogs, their coats are so glossy. Remus looks huge, especially in the table and chairs photo.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >