View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DanishPastry
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-11-2007, 05:55 AM
Get her along to a vet ASAP, and if she turns out to be pregnant, ask to have her spayed. It is the only right thing to do.

If she turns out not to be pregnant, you will need her off that puppy food or she will get fat!

Out of curiousity, where did you get her from?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-11-2007, 11:23 AM
I'm sorry but I just think that you have been irresponsible in allowing her to go near another male when she is in or has just come off of season.

Why did you not get her spayed if you have no intention of having puppies in the first place and by the sounds of it has very little knowledge of what you are doing or how to keep her or them.
I think we have to remember that not everyone is well informed about all aspects of dog ownership (although we all wish they were ) and unfortunately accidents do happen, then it is a case of damage limitation and trying to help if we can

Pixydust welcome to Dogsey. I would take your bitch to the vet asap and get her checked over, if mated on 18th October + she could be around 6 weeks in whelp and due around the 20th December. If she is in whelp it is important she is wormed correctly and you are advised on correct feeding.

Also I would talk to your vet about getting your bitch spayed in the near future whether she is in whelp or not .

PS I would recommend you buy 'The Book of The Bitch' by Evans and White ASAP , you can order it online from Amazon and it should arrive in a couple of days. It is good source of information for anyone with a bitch and should be a great help to you if your bitch proves to be in whelp .
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-11-2007, 11:31 AM
Welcome to Dogsey, can't help you about whether she's pregnant..just thought i'd mention once upona time people coming here seeking advice wouldn't have been hung, drawn and quartered before even being given a chance.
We are here to advise, and to help..not to bully and make feel bad. As Mini said, not everyone is 100% dog savvy.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2007, 11:36 AM
If she was mated 18th October, she could be 6 weeks pregnant, so should be showing signs by now, but if it's only a small litter there may not be any signs, I would get her to the vet and scanned ASAP, and prepare yourself just in case.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-11-2007, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by crazycockers View Post
If she was mated 18th October, she could be 6 weeks pregnant, so should be showing signs by now, but if it's only a small litter there may not be any signs, I would get her to the vet and scanned ASAP, and prepare yourself just in case.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.
Thanks CC I typed 3 weeks instead of 6, although if the mating only 'took' a week later ( stated as a possibility) it could be 5 weeks.
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2007, 12:36 PM
Welcome to Dogsey Pixydust

Go to your vets and get her checked out, and take it from there. Let us know how you get on Good luck with everything

I do think it would be good if you are going to keep and male and bitch together it would be more practical and kind to get them neutered. Not having a go, it's so easy as you have now found out for "accidents" to happen I am not being judgemental, just trying to help. There are loads of people on here who will be able to offer you tons of advice if she is pregnant, I have never had a litter,so can't help you there I am afraid
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2007, 01:51 PM
Welcome Pixydust.
You say on your profile that you've had an accidental litter before under "do you breed". So it this the second time. Your vets should be educating people on their options
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2007, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
Welcome Pixydust.
You say on your profile that you've had an accidental litter before under "do you breed". So it this the second time. Your vets should be educating people on their options
I too was wondering about that Megan , you piped me to the post , Or is it that you think your bitch might be in pup you have stated that in your profile ,
Accidents can happen hun, my advice is the same as everyone else take her to the vet and have her scanned and if she is pregnant good luck with it ,You have a lot of hard work ahead , but i would also suggest to have either the male neutured or the female if your not Planning a planned litter , take care and keep us updated xxdk
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-11-2007, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
I think we have to remember that not everyone is well informed about all aspects of dog ownership (although we all wish they were ) and unfortunately accidents do happen, then it is a case of damage limitation and trying to help if we can
I agree with you if this was the first time, but it isn't.

She has had other "accidental" pregnancies.

My point is that people should start to be more responsible and take the proper precautions.

It doesn't matter how long she has owned the bitch. If she had no intention of breeding her, she should of had her spayed in the beginning.

I must admit that I'm a little surprised that it wasn't already spayed if it came from a rescue centre, because all rescue centres around my way spay bitches before they are rehomed.
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-11-2007, 02:33 PM
I wanted to add another "Welcome to Dogsey", and let us know how she gets on at the vet.
Welcome to Dogsey, can't help you about whether she's pregnant..just thought i'd mention once upona time people coming here seeking advice wouldn't have been hung, drawn and quartered before even being given a chance.
We are here to advise, and to help..not to bully and make feel bad. As Mini said, not everyone is 100% dog savvy.
I don't think anyone is trying to be mean and bullying, but when it's the same story that we've all heard a million times, and we are aware of how many dogs remain in rescues, it can feel frustrating that the message of responsible breeding just doesn't seem to be getting across. I hope Pixydust realises that no one means to pick on her, and that we have her dog's best interests at heart.

My vets run a "dog workshop" occasionally - a chance to get the dog owners on their books together and advise them on care, exercise, worming, flea treatments, neutering, etc. It's all pretty general (as care for different breeds varies), but they give out free information, samples of food and vouchers for spaying/neutering. Pixydust, I'd recommend seeing if your veterinary clinic does anything similar. Even if the information is stuff you're already aware of, they're fun events to go along to, and you get to find out about new or veterinary approved products on the market.
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »