Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
paul10june
New Member!
Male 

21-07-2011, 11:46 AM

My dog will not settle inside the house at night

Hello, I have a 3 yr old fox terrier. Recently we had some feedback from neighbours that our dog was being a nuisance in the garden if we went out and left her. we assumed it was separation anxiety and tried to treat her for this.

We have a cat flap in the kitchen she can squeeze through - and it seems she has been spending her nights largely going out and in at will.

We have tried now to confine her to the house. But unless we cage her she escapes outside through the cat flap.

If we stop her going outside she seems to have panic attacks - fast breathing, fast heart etc.

we can't have her going at at at will, and she has to stay inside at times. but what on earth can be wrong with her?

During the day she is with us most of the time.
yet at night she would rather be tied up in the garden where she is totally relaxed than be in the kitchen.

we hate to see her stressed at night, so now we put her out on a chain where she is happy. but what is stopping her being relaxed at night in the kitchen?

We are worried and puzzled.

Paul
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2011, 03:35 PM
Sorry to hear this. I don't really have much of an answer though I'm afraid so hopefully someone will get back to you with some good advice!

All I can think of is, is there something in the kitchen that makes her fearful in particular?
Anything at night that could be scaring her, like noises eg foxes, people outside, street lights etc? In my kitchen it helps if we shut curtains/shutters at night to keep noises out.
Have you tried leaving her in there with something to keep her occupied such as a stuffed kong or buster cube?
If she feels safe in a crate can you not use this to help you?

Perhaps you need to go back to basics and build it up slowly, only leaving her in there for a min or so before you return, slowly building up the time she's left alone.
SusieL
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-07-2011, 03:41 PM
Have you tried letting her sleep on a dog bed beside yours? That's usually the easiest and most successful option.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2011, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by SusieL View Post
Have you tried letting her sleep on a dog bed beside yours? That's usually the easiest and most successful option.
This is what my dog likes best
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2011, 07:02 PM
I wouldn`t tie her up out there. Especially a small dog - what about if another dog got in or a fox? Or if she tied herself up in knots?
I`d look at medical stuff first - is she perhaps incontinent and anxious about it?
If not - is there something in her history that would explain it?
paul10june
New Member!
Male 

21-07-2011, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by WhichPets View Post
Sorry to hear this. I don't really have much of an answer though I'm afraid so hopefully someone will get back to you with some good advice!

All I can think of is, is there something in the kitchen that makes her fearful in particular?
Anything at night that could be scaring her, like noises eg foxes, people outside, street lights etc? In my kitchen it helps if we shut curtains/shutters at night to keep noises out.
Have you tried leaving her in there with something to keep her occupied such as a stuffed kong or buster cube?

Perhaps you need to go back to basics and build it up slowly, only leaving her in there for a min or so before you return, slowly building up the time she's left alone.

Thanks for this. We have tried her in the cage - she goes to jelly when the door is closed....yet is happy to sit in their when the door is open! We are going to try blacking out the room.

We are more convinced now she has a form of separation anxiety.
paul10june
New Member!
Male 

21-07-2011, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by WhichPets View Post

What is odd is that she is content left alone in the kitchen when we are eating our meals......it is just when we go to bed or go out the troubles start
paul10june
New Member!
Male 

21-07-2011, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by SusieL View Post
Problem is we are being advised to not let her sleep near us...it reinforces the bond and when we have to leave her makes her even more anxious.
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-07-2011, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by paul10june View Post
Problem is we are being advised to not let her sleep near us...it reinforces the bond and when we have to leave her makes her even more anxious.
How is she when you are out at the shops for instance?

It may be that there is something outside. like a fox, which she wishes to keep on eye on - and some dogs just genuinely do LIKE being outside especially in the evening and at night.

Shaking in small dogs is common as a form of excitment - an expectant excited dog.

or it maybe that something bad has happened to her whilst alone inside when you where in bed? The fuse box blew, or the washing machine had a flood?? There was an attempted break in?

I tihnk to know more someone needs to see the behaviour - can you video it?

When did it start? IS there any stress in the house? ANy more info??

Whatever happens I wish you good luck.
Denise Mcleod
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2011, 10:15 PM
If she used to be fine, perhaps something has happened or happens whilst you are out. I do think blacking out the room could help but look in to other things too.

Do you turn the lights out, maybe keep a lamp on. Many dogs like the radio on a talking channel like radio 4 kept on low.

Crate training has to be done gradually when you are going to shut them in there.. most dogs will get very anxious if they get shut in there with little prior time to get used to it. There are lots of sites on line that explain how to crate train in greater depth.

I think Lotsadogs' suggestion of filming it is a good one. Either use a standard camera, or you can buy little CCTV units from as little as £60 on amazon. These have sound and infra-red, and motion detectors. You can hook it up to your computer or phone to see what's going on at all times.

If she has made bad associations with the kitchen, and you do not want her in the bedroom as you want to increase her independance, is there another room you can use.. laundry room, hallway, another bedroom? Where you can start from scratch.

I think like someone else already said, it's safer not to keep her chained up outdoors so best to find another soultion if you can. Maybe consider consulting a trainer who can evaluate her?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >