Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2008, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by lovezois View Post
I had finished my Library books last week and the weather was so awful I decided not to venture out to the Library, and instead read a book which I had been given by a friend a couple of week's ago, she actually gave me two.

It is a true story of a girl who is sexually assaulted by her father from the age of six . It is not the sort of book I usually read, but I have to say it was very enlightening and well written and took you through all the heartache and trauma attached to a Child when something like this happens. It is set in the 50' 60's and it tells the effect this had on this child's decisions in later life. The Book is called "Don't Tell Mummy" by Toni McGuire and the follow up which I am just about to start is called "Wait Till Daddy gets Home" and if this is as well written as the first one I think it will be a very good read.
Just finished reading those two books myself. I have to read stories like this but then I can't get it out of my mind how people can make children suffer so much.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2008, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by Moonstone View Post
Snap!! Linda, I am on book two now and to be honest I can't get into it, they are great books but you have to really want to read it. I have all four books in the series and have had to take a break and I am reading "The Bad Mothers Handbook" by Kate Long, Very funny
Yah something else in common! I'm really impressed that you have got to book two!!! Now I really must make more of an effort to get into it . Once my 'easy reading' book is done I will start.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

06-02-2008, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by shaza View Post
I've just finished Wait Till Daddy gets Home - brilliant! I'm just starting the last in the series of 5 of Flowers in the Attic! the 1st 4 were great - so I'm sure this will be to!

I read all the four a number of years ago.

Let me know if you enjoy the 5th one and I may have a look for it if it is any good.
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2008, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Yah something else in common! I'm really impressed that you have got to book two!!! Now I really must make more of an effort to get into it . Once my 'easy reading' book is done I will start.

I have read the first few chapters several times of the second book and have gone to an easy reading book too
I think they are hard books to get into, but several people I know have really enjoyed the series, so I am going to try again The first one, I was fine once I really got stuck into it,but this second one I am struggling OH has given up on the first book.

Good luck, and I will try to get back into book two and let you know how I get on
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

06-02-2008, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
Just finished reading those two books myself. I have to read stories like this but then I can't get it out of my mind how people can make children suffer so much.

I know exactly what you mean.
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2008, 11:49 PM
Just started reading Mercy by Jodi Picoult. I love her books and think she's totally fab. Only started reading it yesterday so haven't really got to the plot yet, but from the blurb:

"What does it mean to love someone to death?

When Jamie Macdonald killed his wife, he knew he might face a life sentence. But what was life in a world without Maggie?

The case divides the small town of Wheelock. James Macdonald has confessed to premeditated murder - Murder One. For his cousin, Police Cheif Cameron Macdonald, theres no question this man should be arrested and tried - family blood ties or not.

But for Cameron's wife Allie, it's not so clear-cut. She loves her husband more than life itself. If he were suffering and asked for her help to die, she knows she would do anything for him. Now, for the first time in their marriage, she finds herself set against Cameron, siding with Jamie and wondering if what he says is right: that in a relationship, there's always one who loves more..."
pam2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2008, 06:59 PM
Fudgeley - The books are Split Second, The Soul Catcher and At the Stroke of Madness.
Im reading Split Second just now and really enjoying it, it features an FBI agent called Maggie O'Dell, have you read it?
What about Ed McBain, Jeffrey Deaver, Michael Connelly and Lee Child, do you like any of them?
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2008, 07:09 PM
Pam I have read two of the ones you mention.....I have also read all of the other authors. JD and MC are my favourites. I discovered this genre through reading red dragon and Silence of the lambs yesrs ago, even before the fim.There are loads of authors doing it now, I read them but don`t really remember the books after I have finished. The RED Dragon and Hanniball really stood out. The early JD ones are pretty scarey too.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-02-2008, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
I also read Atonement recently which was fantastic - havent seen the film so will look forward to hiring that on DVD if only to get my James McAvoy hit !!

I also love Alex Kava books, and anything silly and girly - particularly Jill Mansell - absolutely love her book "Good at Games" and would recommend that as a really light and funny read
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I have Atonement in the car from when we went on our hols last year...didn't get a chance to read it then either...I will try now though....
I read Atonement on holiday recently and really enjoyed it, although the ending took me a bit by surprise and brought a tear to my eye. Give it a go Ailsa it's well worth it.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I read Atonement on holiday recently and really enjoyed it, although the ending took me a bit by surprise and brought a tear to my eye. Give it a go Ailsa it's well worth it.
couldnt agree more -i cried to as totally didnt expect that !!!! is the film the same ???
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >