Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2014, 02:04 PM

Looks like I'm getting a cat

Alfie is coming to pick me up on Monday at 10am to go and see the mum and 2 kittens at the vet who is giving them shelter until they can find homes.

I am still hopeful about the cat. But Alfie agrees that kittens can get used to a dog (Bella) being around but that the mum cat might already be scared of dogs or had bad experience with dogs. And she has already had enough bad experiences what with her broken leg and being shot at.

Alfie, bless him, he says - I am coming with a cat carrier, a little cat house, a cat litter tray, some food ... lol! Only thing he hasn't got is a bag of litter!

We both agreed waste of time taking Bella to the cats - the only place really to see how they get on is at home.

Anyway he says go and see them and make up your mind when you are there. He did say that the mum cat (bless her) is very friendly. Amazing eh? After what's happened to her.

I know kittens are cute but also that they don't stay that way for long. They soon grow up.

Both kittens too young to have been spayed or had jabs yet.

Still wondering about taking them both - whether that would be better for them and for Bella or whether they'd just cut Bella out and stick together?

Oh watch this space. I think first thing I will have to say to Alfie is I'M NOT TAKING ALL THREE ALFIE!

*and to think all this came about because I contacted him in response to his appeal saying sorry I couldn't help out by having any of them, but would happily chip in and pay half the costs he's stumped up for the mum cat's ops and their stay in the vets when I see him down at the Tavern.
ndidi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-05-2014, 02:57 PM
Good for you for helping out a cat in need. I am sure which ever you choose will love being with you in a safe happy home.
I managed to introduce both adult cats and kittens to dogs. It was easier with kitten as they grew up with the dogs but I was getting on quite well but then my cats which were 12 years got ringworm which they didn't manage to get rid of for ages. So I gave up introducing them and they just lived upstairs happily. I am sure had they been younger they would have got on fine.
I got the two younger one a few year apart and they seem happy to mix with dogs.
The two older cats were brother and sister and the only two in the litter. They seem to like being together and kept to them selves but that was mostly because they came many years before the dogs.
So what I am really saying is whether you go for one or both kitten or the mum I am sure with some work they will be fine with Bella.

So good luck and I will be waiting for some pics.

Ndidi
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-05-2014, 03:07 PM
Both of my cats have grown up around dogs, one is an honourary dog, the other while not remotely fazed in any way by the dogs prefers his own space but he's 16 now so guess that's understandable.
You'll probably end up with all 3
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2014, 03:27 PM
Core you don't half change your mind I'd go for one or both kittens. As I mentioned to you I grew up with one dog and two cats at any one time. All got on really well and a few of the cats would curl up with the dog ... some being more independent but none of them ever had a fight

Just bear in mind cats love scratching furniture but I guess when you come to the end of the tenancy you can always mice and lizzards

Having one or two cats will not guarantee that they will actually interact and play with Bella but as they are young they are more likely to as they'll be growing up with her.

Remember your camera on Monday 'cos we'll all want to see the choices
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-05-2014, 04:05 PM
I am sure the kittens will get on with Bella after all she is the boss and I am sure will let them know that. On the other hand they may well take the house over and put Bella in her place either way I am sure they will eventually get along.

All my cats 3 of them at one time and dogs got along fine.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2014, 04:51 PM
Does this mean we will be losing you to Catsey?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2014, 04:54 PM
My biggest worry with the kittens is the fact that the door is open all the time here. I'm happy enough to keep the front door closed but am not going to incarcerate us all inside in this heat. I sit outside working overlooking the patio and garden every day anyway. I sit out here just to browse the web too. I am out here right now!

Lots of nice places for a cat to sleep and hide and get cosy and safe but the whole place is 'open plan' with low walls.

Bella doesn't try to escape. And no cats I've ever had, although all had catflaps and freedom ever went outside the confines of my garden.

I am thinking it will be easier with an adult cat where that's concerned. And much easier to see where it's got to as well! I can keep bedroom doors closed and all beds are too low for a cat to get under.

Cat would have to wander a long way from my L shaped garden to actually get 'outside the complex' and it would be on the open fields then anyway - no traffic on that roadway - it's a dead end and doesn't go anywhere.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2014, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Does this mean we will be losing you to Catsey?

Didn't even know we had a CATSEY! But yes, I will immediately decamp to there and terrorise them instead!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2014, 04:59 PM
http://www.catsey.com/

But beware Azz runs that as well, so no nonsense
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-05-2014, 06:38 PM
The mad cat woman !!

I am sure it will all go well x