View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-10-2012, 07:15 PM
I couldn't believe his explanation of how he got started as " The Dog Whisperer ", he used to walk dogs, people asked him to fix their dogs, so he started his dog psychology centre .....gimmie a break , he didn't do himself any favours with that one.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2012, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by RROOBB View Post
Although his techniques aren't the best, I think ITV/Spun Gold played a dirty game here. They did tons of research and made a very strong argument. They clearly didn't give CM any head up to prepare a good argument back. Even the best arguers wouldn't be able to respond to that under the pressure of the TV. It would have been good to hear CM's side of the story, which he couldn't say when thinking on the spot.

Unfair play here ITV, shameful.

Considering how many people have made their opinions of his methods known over the years, I'd have expected his counter argument to have been a well oiled machine by now.
RROOBB
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-10-2012, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by Beth17 View Post
Surely he shouldn't need to prepare an argument back if he believes in his method and knows it works so well. Also I'm sure he is well aware of the people who do not like him and so you would expect him to have an argument prepared already.

He is also used to being on tv so I doubt that flustered him. He just wasn't expecting to be asked questions such as those.

Originally Posted by alexgirl73 View Post
Really

I personally find it refreshing to hear an interviewer call him out on his disgraceful techniques, rather than the grovelling and fawning you tend to get from the american shows. I also don't think we need to hear CM's side of the argument, we've all seen it!!!
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
CM uses TV to put his spin on things - do you not think his shows are heavily edited, with anything too negative for him cut out of it?

As Beth says - what argument does he need to prepare if he truly thinks his methods are OK? Surely you would just answer the questions honestly and be happy that you are in the right.
Looking at both sides of the story, clearly Spun Gold had done their research. CM also clearly hasn't been given a heads up to what would be discussed. I think Spun Gold were worried that he would come back with a good argument if they told him that his training techniques were going to be criticised, so they chose to spring it on him and surprise him.

He did answer with 'It's not a punch, it's a touch' which you can only judge if he does it to you. It could look like a hard punch but it may just be a light 'touch' that makes the dog jump, which makes it look like it was a harder punch. He also said it 'Snaps the dog out of that frame of mind' which some people agree that it does. He babbled between those sentences which made those points stand out less. Why did he babble? Because of not being able to prepare and being on TV. If he is on TV he is expected to keep talking otherwise it would be awkward for both of them, which makes it look less professional (Using awkward silences is a great way to get people to talk)

I'm not sticking up for either side here. I'm just saying that Spun Gold played a dirty game in order to get publicity and viewings.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2012, 07:37 PM
And CM abuses dogs to get publicity and viewings. I know which method I prefer
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2012, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by STGSD View Post
HAHA I was the same, thinking how did he go from food to parrot!?
Clearly, he had trained the parrot to say TSSST!
RROOBB
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-10-2012, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
And CM abuses dogs to get publicity and viewings. I know which method I prefer
Are you sure you don't mean he 'touches' dogs for viewings?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2012, 07:59 PM
I thought AT was pathetic!! I was expecting something far more robust after all the hype! I watched the Youtube clip very carefully, and the only time I could see CM getting uncomfortable was when he started to talk about "using food" ... clearly, to me anyway, he was lying then, or at least grossly exaggerating. I think AT let him off very lightly, and I think he handled himself well.

I think he was surprised by the course of the interview, but he didn't seem to be unduly worried to me. I would have far more respect for the man if he just fessed up and admitted that he cocked up in a big way with the lab, with Shadow. With both dogs, in my opinion he completely misinterpreted both animals. You do not handle aggression with aggression, you do not act robustly with just plain nervous/frightened dogs, or dogs who are fear aggressive (like my Ben). As much as I like CM's basics - the calmness, the assertiveness, the setting of rules, boundaries and limitations - he just lost the plot with both Shadow and the labrador - for sure, both dogs were very frightening - both reminded me of my Ben - and when you have been bitten, particularly if you are a man like CM who being mexican, comes from a matcho society where Men Rule OK, your immediate reaction is understandably an aggressive one. I do not condemn or blame him for hitting and kicking, but I do condemn him for not confessing that he lost his temper - something a good dog behaviourist shouldn't ever do, even with the most severe provocation - he was scared, he was hurt, and he lashed out. He made a mistake, he misjudged both dogs, both dogs would appear to have been allowed to get away with bad behaviour - through misplaced love or fear - both dogs were fear aggressive, and the very worst thing CM could have done was to strike them in any way.

With my Ben, I have always been able to click my fingers, to nudge him gently with a knee, to stand over his food bowl when he has been barking aggressively at me because he thinks I am being to slow in mixing his food - I make him sit and he is not allowed to move and approach his bowl until he is calm and has stopped barking. But anything more robust, a hard nudge, or a kick or a punch, and you would be in trouble. He is a lot, lot better now than he was when we first got him, 2 and a half years ago it must be now, but we would be very foolish indeed to lose our temper and strike him on the odd occasion he is possessive of a bone, or the sofa, or his table in the garden. We firmly but gently put a hand on his collar and whilst not looking at him tell him to get down, and he does. This is what we do on the rare occasion he refuses to get down when given a verbal command.

I feel that CM has lost his way, lost the plot.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2012, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by RROOBB View Post
He also said it 'Snaps the dog out of that frame of mind' which some people agree that it does.
It obviously didn't work with the dog he had punched (or as Milan would try to have us believe 'touched') as the dog retaliated and bit him so far from 'snapping the dog out of it' it actually made the situation ten times worse.

I was actually surprised by how 'wrong footed' he was because he's been in the celebrity business for a long time and so should have been prepared for awkward questions - unless, of course, this is the first interview that has had free reign to ask whatever they liked
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-10-2012, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I thought AT was pathetic!! I was expecting something far more robust after all the hype! I watched the Youtube clip very carefully, and the only time I could see CM getting uncomfortable was when he started to talk about "using food" ... clearly, to me anyway, he was lying then, or at least grossly exaggerating. I think AT let him off very lightly, and I think he handled himself well.

Well AT ain't no Paxman it's true, but as we were all expecting AT to be sucking up to him, it came as a pleasant surprise that he had done his homework re the accusations, and made some very good points.
I don't know how much further AT could have gone given the nature of the program and the time allocated to CM.
RROOBB
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-10-2012, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by celli View Post
Well AT ain't no Paxman it's true, but as we were all expecting AT to be sucking up to him, it came as a pleasant surprise that he had done his homework re the accusations, and made some very good points.
I don't know how much further AT could have gone given the nature of the program and the time allocated to CM.
He wouldn't have done any homework, the research team for the production company would have just told him what to say.

And your last point, I don't think he could have gone much further than he did unless he wanted to find himself in hot water with CM's agent/ legal team!

Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
It obviously didn't work with the dog he had punched (or as Milan would try to have us believe 'touched') as the dog retaliated and bit him so far from 'snapping the dog out of it' it actually made the situation ten times worse.

I was actually surprised by how 'wrong footed' he was because he's been in the celebrity business for a long time and so should have been prepared for awkward questions - unless, of course, this is the first interview that has had free reign to ask whatever they liked
Do you know of a link to that video? I had a quick look but I can't find it. (I'm not saying that as in 'I don't believe it happened', I just want to watch it )
Page 12 of 18 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »