View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 06:34 PM
How on earth did you come to the conclusion that most big families live inner city? or that it's their kids that are causing the schools to struggle?
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
You dont know EVERY large family so stop tarring them with the same brush! I was only one of two, from a (god forbid) lone parent family, I work, my brother works, no doubt ppl like you would have had us down as no-hopers though! Simply cos we grew up on benefits! BTW my mother now pays plenty tax from her good job too. My mum was one of five, the five grew up to work. My Dad was one of 9, they grew up in care but they all work. A client of mine had loads of kids, don't even know how many, but they owned homes all over the world and paid their own way.

Yet again I floored by the quick judgements and pessimistic attitudes on here when it comes to giving people a chance.
Actually I'm on benefits and my children are growing up on benefits, so we can remove that from the equation If you notice I did not say every family, I said most! And simply put that is because of personal experience and knowledge. I do know of large families where they work every hour God sends to provide for their families and I commend them for that. However, simply put, in todays sadly tarnished society, the general rule is that the large families belong to the poorer sections of the community and they produce lots of kids for the benefits. If CB was provided just for the first 2 this would grind to a halt. If people want large families then that is their right and I certainly wouldn't condemn them for it AS LONG as they are paying for them.
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 06:43 PM
Shall we just agree to disagree Doberman?
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 06:48 PM
Think of it this way, your not paying for yours whilst living on benefits, so what makes you and your family any different? Are you a cut above on benefits if you claim less than the next family? Does CB no longer reduce in amount for each child?

How do you know that *most* large families are inner city and getting 10k?

Nobody has said that people should have kids instead of working as a means of income. But not all large families are doing this and there are plenty kids in semi-rural and rural areas too.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
I was interested to watch this because my hubby is one of 15 children.
He was born in the '30s, before child benefit. His Father was a farm labourer, on a low wage but with free milk and vegetables which helped. Mother never worked.
They got through and ended up a happy, healthy, well adjusted family.
I was pleasantly surprised at how well the two families managed and what nice kids they were.
I didn't watch it...

But my Grandad was one of 19 1 Dad, 2 mums.
Obv before child benefits etc! His Dad killed one of his wives by 'accident', went on to find another wife to look after his kids and have even more!!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 06:54 PM
I have had to actually research stats on children, poverty, income, benefits etc, so it just bugs me when people state these opinions as fact when it's usually a couple of families they have seen etc etc
And a lot of assuming.
So yes we will need to agree to disagree here!
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 07:01 PM
Think of it this way, your not paying for yours whilst living on benefits, so what makes you and your family any different? Are you a cut above on benefits if you claim less than the next family? Does CB no longer reduce in amount for each child?

How do you know that *most* large families are inner city and getting 10k?

Nobody has said that people should have kids instead of working as a means of income. But not all large families are doing this and there are plenty kids in semi-rural and rural areas too.
I am on benefits through disability, my husand works part time, until my health deteriorated we both worked, therefore I feel I have contributed to my childrens upkeep! CB is currently £20 for the first child and £14 for susequent no matter how many you have. I stopped at 2 because I could no longer work and did not wish to place any further burden on the taxpayers to help raise my kids. If I had been on benefits before that I would probably have stopped at one!

And having been brought up in some of the toughest areas of Glasgow and lived in one of the most deprived area of Aberdeen I have seen far too many play the babies/benefit game.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 07:10 PM
I have had to actually research stats on children, poverty, income, benefits etc, so it just bugs me when people state these opinions as fact when it's usually a couple of families they have seen etc etc
And a lot of assuming.
So yes we will need to agree to disagree here!
I think it's probably because that type of family does stick out and people remember them, iyswim?

I know of a family with 4 kids - 2 different fathers. Mother never had a job and brought first 2 kids up on her own. Got with BF, then split up after his first baby was born, got back together, very briefly, decided they would have another baby, then split up before baby was born. Now, a mother of 4, on benefits, living in a nice house and seems to have plenty of spare money to splash out on things. Why have the fourth child, which was very much planned? On the other side of the coin, I know a family who has 5 children who don't claim (apart from tax credits and CB).

When I had Sam, I claimed for child tax credits, working tax credits and CB. I actually felt guilty for claiming for the first two but it was the only way we were going to manage. I am self employed so work is a bit hit and miss, but I wouldn't miss bringing Sam up for the world. I don't want to go and work full time and leave him somewhere for 6 hours a day - why have him? We manage, and the tax credits are very small part of our income now I am bringing a bit it (only been going for 18 months so just starting out really). I do still feel guilty about claiming for them but I do think why shouldn't I? The next person would. I don't think our world would end if they stopped and I doubt I will get them next year as my income has gone up since the start of the last tax year.

There are so many grey areas regarding benefits and it is incredibly difficult to sort the good 'uns, from the bad 'uns so they ultimately are all tarnished with the same brush.

Helen
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by alexgirl73 View Post
I am on benefits through disability, my husand works part time, until my health deteriorated we both worked, therefore I feel I have contributed to my childrens upkeep! CB is currently £20 for the first child and £14 for susequent no matter how many you have. I stopped at 2 because I could no longer work and did not wish to place any further burden on the taxpayers to help raise my kids. If I had been on benefits before that I would probably have stopped at one!

And having been brought up in some of the toughest areas of Glasgow and lived in one of the most deprived area of Aberdeen I have seen far too many play the babies/benefit game.
Agreed. What a tonic you are! I completely applaud your decisions and responsibility - if only more people did the same!

Sorry for your ill health though....

Re. bit in bold, I live just outside of Glasgow (in Greenock, to be precise) and it's exactly the same regarding the babies/benefits/council house thing. That is a fact.

In fact, on One Born Every Minute Last night there was a pregnant teenager - no boyfriend, no nothing (irresponsible) - yet she received a text message from the alleged father or the baby stating 'doesn't having a baby mean we are entitled (!) to a council house or summit....". Quite frankly, this disgusts me and it DOES go on, people can deny it all they like!

Whereas myself, who works full time and has done since 18 (now 26) cannot get a council house. Been on the list for over two years now. I would be paying all my own bills etc. I don't have any children. However, if I was to become pregnant, I would no doubt be offered a house pretty quickly! Sickens me.

I cannot afford to buy a house on my own. I would if I could. I know there are other housing associations as well.

This country seems to reward irresponsible decisions.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 07:11 PM
On paper your on benefits, so are they, in a way.

There are large families on benefits who also now don't work due to circumstances outside of their family size, they don't necessarily shout out from the rooftops!

You just can't tar everyone with the same brush.
Closed Thread
Page 7 of 13 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »