View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
fetchmyslippers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-03-2009, 09:53 AM

How to get him to sleep in his bed on the landing ?

Hi all, my black lab Rocky has been with us for all of 2 days (he's 5 years old today), and he is just fantastic. He knows all the basic commands and is soooo gentle and soppy. During the day he will sit/lie in whichever room I am in, not looking for attention but just wanting to be with me (awww). His previous owners said he has always been like this - a "people" dog !

When he came to us he brought his own bed with him. We have put it in a cosy corner of the upstairs landing, near all the bedrooms but a bit tucked away. The problem is, he won't stay in it at night ! He comes into our room and sleeps on the floor. Not a problem in principle, but he's pretty noisy what with snuffling, licking and wagging his tail against the skirting board (must be having happy dreams).

Last night we tried taking him back to his bed (he knows the word bed) several times, but he would only stay briefly. Later we put my slippers next to his bed and he stayed a bit longer, but eventually came through and slept on the bedroom floor.

Any ideas about how to get him to stay in his own bed at night ?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2009, 11:29 AM
He probably needs reassurance, being in a strange place. Why not bring his bed in for a while then after a week or so when he`s settled, move it out again?
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2009, 11:41 AM
I too would move his bed in with you .When he is settled in it I would move it towrds the door, then out the door and then a little further away atc so that he gradually builds up the confidence to sleep in its end position.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2009, 12:09 PM
Sorry no advice...but reckon he will be on your bed and under the covers in no time, lol!!!! He IS a lab after all!!
fetchmyslippers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-03-2009, 02:29 PM
No chance of him coming into bed with us - he weighs 43 kg

Thanks for the advice. I'll try that tonight. Also I'm going to try stuff during the daytime, like leaving the room and coming back, so that he knows I do come back.
Mirren
New Member!
Female 

20-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Our dog refused to sleep in the kitchen after we moved house. We put him into the hall, then the stairs, then the landing....Then we put him into the kitchen and braced ouraelves for a long campaign of going into him during the night. It took 2 nights! Not a sound out of him now till breakfast!
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2009, 07:45 PM
If you don't want him in your room, maybe put a worn t-shirt or something in his bed on the landing so he still has your scent with him.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2009, 07:54 PM
Baby gate the entrance to your room?

My Lab is always farting around...fidgeting, licking, stretching, etc., so he sleeps downstairs.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2009, 08:32 PM
Hello, i adopted my last dog when he was ten years old and he wouldn't sleep anywhere but in the bedroom with us initially. He would cry and just would not settle if we tried to put him out of the room and shut the door.

He wanted the reasurance of us being close. We brought his bed into the bedroom and encouraged him to lie in it. If he got out in the night and tried to go on the bed with just encouraged him back into his bed and then gently praised and reassured him. After a week of him sleepy soundly like that we inched the bed out of the room.....literally inched it closer to the door night after night.

After a couple of weeks we had the bed outside the bedroom door, and then gradually inched the bedroom door more and more shut until it was closed.

It took a good few weeks but he just couldn't cope with the cold turkey method!
fetchmyslippers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Thanks for all the advice everyone. Rocky is sleeping on his bed in our room, and we have been gradually inching it towards the door and putting some big cardboard boxes at strategic places around the bed !

His bed in near the door now, so I think I'll give him a couple of nights there before shuffling it through the door a little.

I never knew dogs could be so noisy in the night ! (he snores more loudly than my OH )
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >