Our sister sites
jaynecobb
New Member!
Male 

09-05-2017, 02:22 PM

Anybody else have this experience??

My first post here.

Just looking for some others opinions.

My Golden Retriever is almost 12. About 4 months ago he was diagnosed with a terminal cancer in his nose. The vet said she did not think he would live 6 months and more than likely in 2 months we might have to make a decision, it was an incredibly aggressive cancer.

At this point the cancer has progressed that his nose has grown to 3x the size it once was. For the past 2 weeks he has had almost daily nose bleeds. In the last week I can see him really trying to itch his nose which is more indication for the vet that it is starting to bother him. A few weeks back he would still go for walks but seemed to lose his enthusiasm for it. Same with playing if coaxed I can get him a little bit interested, but he has lost interest on his own. It has affected his breathing, he is purely a mouth breather at this point and while doesn't show signs of distress does sound like he is snoring pretty much 24/7

All of these signs make me think he is getting close to the end. I am very mindful of the phrase a day to early is a day to late. I don't want him to suffer purely because I can't let him go.

With that said when I talk to people about signs they look for that a dog's time has come, some of the most obvious my dog is not showing.

He still eats like a champ, bathroom experience is fine, walks/stands well enough for a 12 yr old. Still comes to the door to see me when I get home(happy that I am home)

Even some of the other dogs I have had, had a more traditional decline that I did feel like I was ultimately making a decision for them not to be in pain.

So I find myself incredibly torn. When I describe the later symptoms (eating, walking etc) to others I think they say, it sounds like he still has some life in him. Yet when I describe the nose bleeds, breathing, swollen nose, lack of interest in walking/playing, other say maybe he is trying to tell us something.

I think my biggest worry is he is such a sweet dog who loves to eat and I worry he won't show those signs until he actually is in distress.

I realize my dog is dealing with cancer and not old age, the later of which I am a little more familiar with. So I guess my question is have others out there had an experience of a dog with a healthy appetite/walking etc but that displayed other signs that his time has come?

I just find I am getting really mixed signals. I will come home, he wags his tail to see me, I give him a treat that he inhales and it doesn't seem so bad. Than an hour later I hear him breathing/snorting. He scratches at his nose and draws blood and no desire to go for an evening walk or play and I think maybe I've already let it go to far.

Just very confused
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2017, 04:08 PM
Sadly I have lost two dogs with this and as sadly I have to say this I did have to make the decision to let them both go. One was 9 and one was 4. I feel for you but I know you will do what is right. Hugs.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-05-2017, 04:10 PM
There's a big difference between a dog suffering from an incurable illness and a dog naturally reaching the end of their days due to old age. I had to make this decision for all three of my Dobermann's my male appeared to be full of the joys of spring with a real lust for life but he had bone cancer in his front leg which could snap at any time the way he was still charging about. It was a no brainer, for me better a month to soon than a minute too late. It broke my heart to let him go but it was in his best interest, there was going to be no happy outcome and probably a lot of pain along the way. He was only 8 and in his prime and that's how I'll remember him.
Just let him go while he's still the dog you love, don't leave it too late.
Dr. Dennis Thomas
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-05-2017, 08:40 PM
There is never a correct answer for this question. I have struggled with this for over 30 years as a vet and as a life-long pet owner. A couple of things I have learned. When we go into an emotional situation such as the one you are going through, out of conditioning, we go to our intellectual mind to try to figure out when it is time. Unfortunately, this just muddies up the water and will just cause suffering. The intellectual mind uses duality for its function. It can understand hot by comparing it to cold. So, when we try to get the intellectual mind to help us out, it will begin to make a mental list of why you should make this decision (putting the dog to sleep) and about the time you decide that it is the right thing to do, it does its reversal and will make another mental list as to why you shouldn't put the dog to sleep. This back and forth mind process is the only way that it knows how to work.

Instead of using this part of our mind for guidance, we have to learn to use the part of our brain that can give us guidance; the intuitive mind. The intuitive mind is that part of our brain that sits back and observes what is going on in our lives, including observing the busy mind chatter of the intellectual mind. It can only give its guidance when the busy mind is quiet. I teach my clients how to get their mind's quiet so that the intuitive guidance can come through. I use a technique where I have the client spend time along with the pet focusing on how grateful they are that the pet has come into their life. In a short time, the mind will quieten as you connect with your pet on a deeper level. At that time, you will be aware of your pet's desire and you will absolutely know what needs to be done. You will find compassion that overrides the rational mind. Then, when the time comes to let the pet go, you know that there was no decision made, just moving with life guiding you. This perspective eliminates the rational mind control and keeps worthless emotions such as guilt, etc. from being part of the process. You are near the end of your time with your pet. You want to spend it with quality time, not anxiety over choices.

If you want to stop the nose bleeding, find some Yunaan Bia Yao herbal pills and start using them. The bleeding will stop. Good luck. Life is on your side.
jaynecobb
New Member!
Male 

10-05-2017, 12:39 AM
Thank you for all your responses.

Just listening to other stories is helpful. I find he doesn't appear to be in distress and thus its not time, but than I think to myself, do I really want him to get to the point that he is in distress, purely as evidence for me that its time. The fact that he still loves to eat confuses me, but I can't help but wonder if he'll love to eat the rest of his life.

Part of the stress is because I feel there is a weight to it all that Im unsure how to deal with. My wife has entered a zone where she is having a hard time not thinking about the inevitable. We have cancelled various activities to be with him and we are happy too because he is a member of our family, but this weight adds to the decision. I almost feel like thats why I am wanting to see that definitive sign so that when the time comes I know it was the best choice for him and not because of the weight of it all.......but in having that viewpoint I worry that I am missing less subtle but nonetheless obvious signs of his decline.

Thank you for your comments Dr.Thomas, I will spend some quiet time with him and just see what it is he is telling me.