Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
the guy sounds like a plonker and deserves the roasting, but why would you want to deny him his livelihood over it?also, why does the postman have to open your front door?
do you have a letter box?
Let's face it; the postmans actions could have cost the dogs life if he'd run infront of a car. Not to mention the safety of the home in leaving the front door lying open. Negligent on the Postie's part and he's been given warnings about such things before.

Thank goodness he was found safe and sound.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 01:04 PM
Yes he sounds like he was careless..but my dogs are never,ever allowed to come to the front door with me, they are behind a gate or a closed door. It's not worth the risk.
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 05:22 PM
I think asking for this postman to be sacked is a bit extreme. Why would you want to do that. Ok he did not shut the gate which he should have done, but in my opinion it should be your responsibility to ensure the door was closed and the dog did not get out.

Glad he was found safe and well.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 05:34 PM
We had a similar experience, three afghans and a basenji got out, I was in Switzerland and my parents were dog sitting.

We put a postbox outside of the gate.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 05:41 PM
Oh so scarey
It must be very difficult for you, it's not like you can get to the door or the gate to check that they are secure.
The Postie only needs to put a bit of thought into this, it takes hardly anytime to shut a door.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Am glad Thorgeir is back home safe. We were always taught to shut gates and doors behind us if had found them so, unless told otherwise.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 06:04 PM
Whilst I am very glad you got your dog back it isn't the postman's responsibility to ensure the dog is kept safe, we have built an inner door so ours never get to the front door without a lead on, I wouldn't expect a visitor or trades person to ensure they can't get out. Very harsh to deny someone their livelihood over this very harsh indeed.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Whilst I am very glad you got your dog back it isn't the postman's responsibility to ensure the dog is kept safe, we have built an inner door so ours never get to the front door without a lead on, I wouldn't expect a visitor or trades person to ensure they can't get out. Very harsh to deny someone their livelihood over this very harsh indeed.
Shutting the door is just common decency that takes no time at all.
It is obviously something he is known for and it sounds like others have complained before.
I would imagine in a fairly remote area like Snorri lives in and with his disability he must be well known and so I would expect people to be more helpful.
But maybe thats just me
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 06:24 PM
I would expect the postman to leave the gate as he found it! He must know that Snorri would find it difficult to sort it out, it's common courtesy IMO.

Off topic but our dustmen ( years ago) brought down our electric cables and drove off without saying anything! Caspar was jumping over it as it was sparking, it's a miracle he wasn't electrocuted! Needless to say we complained very loudly!
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-03-2011, 07:03 PM
From some of these replies, it appears that aspects of the OP have not been understood.

1, I do have a letterbox: this was a parcel.

2. This was not an attempt to deliver; it was an attempt to correct an earlier error.

3. I do have an inner door: he left it open, too.

He should be sacked, because clearly, he cannot do the job.

It was only luck that my Thorgeir wasn't killed. Then the sod tried to lie about it, saying that Thorgeir had jumped the gate.
I SAW him leave the gate open.

Stupid and careless.

Snorri
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >