Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2007, 08:14 PM

Bailey's Third Acupuncture Session

Well, I have to admit to being a bit sceptical about it but decided to try it as a last resort seeing as the pain killers weren't working.

When he went for his second session the vet was really pleased with the progress.

Today he went for his third session, I explained that he had been a bit moany at times today, when he was trying to get comfy, but I have been having to stop him from bouncing about on the furniture as he is so full of beans.

She examined his neck, which had been so painful and he didn't flinch, I said that I could see she was pushing quite hard into it and she did the same pressure on my arm, it hurt me and he didn't feel a thing He was a tiny bit sensitive on his back again but she hadn't treated that last time, apparently you only put the needles in the pressure points that react at the time of treatment.

She told me that he is obviously a "reactor", and only 10% of dogs react that quickly. I asked why he had reacted so quickly to this yet both the Rimadyl and Metacam, (both high doses) weren't working on him. She explained that the acupuncture sends different messages to the brain than the painkillers do.

She is so pleased with him that I am to reduce his tablets to 1/2 a day for three days and then stop them completely. She thinks he will be in some discomfort by the time he goes for his next session next Tuesday but nothing like he had been, and he will be off the painkillers, something I'm pleased about as they are steroid based but I was told he would hopefully only be on them for a couple of weeks, knowing the pain he was in I didn't feel I could refuse them.

So, all in all, a good result
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

11-09-2007, 09:44 PM
So glad things seem to be going in the right direction for Bailey and it will be great if he can come off the steroid based tablets.

Big gentle hugs to him and hope his next session goes as well as this one. Look forward to the update. Positive vibes to you darling Bailey.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2007, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by lovezois View Post
So glad things seem to be going in the right direction for Bailey and it will be great if he can come off the steroid based tablets.

Big gentle hugs to him and hope his next session goes as well as this one. Look forward to the update. Positive vibes to you darling Bailey.

Thanks Eunice, I can't believe the change in him, I hadn't thought he was particularly poorly, just assumed he had slowed down with old age. It's so funny to see him bouncing about with the others and being even more active than he was.

The tablets make him hungry too, he's always looking for extra food but I have to be careful as I don't want him to carry any extra weight and make his joints worse, he does get some extra treats but I just give him a half portion to be on the safe side. xx
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2007, 09:52 PM
Good results for Bailey may it continue x
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2007, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by Trixybird View Post
Good results for Bailey may it continue x
Thank you very much xxx
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2007, 09:58 PM
Im so pleased that your seeing an improvement in the Lovely Bailey - long may it continue!
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2007, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by shaza View Post
Im so pleased that your seeing an improvement in the Lovely Bailey - long may it continue!
Thanks Shaza, such a relief I can tell you. I hope little Ozzie's foot is on the mend too xx
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2007, 08:36 AM
That is excellent news, it worked miracles for my boy Winston so I'm pleased it's helping Bailey so much.
Becky
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2007, 09:17 AM
Oh I am so so pleased for you and Bailey Sheree - give the boy and tickle on his tickly spot for me!

Fabulous news !

Just goes to show doesn't it that you have to try anything doesn't it! Like you I prob. would be sceptical about it.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2007, 10:38 AM
Oh what great news for Bailey, so pleased the acupuncture is being a success! Big, albeit gentle, hugs from me and Jamie x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >