Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2010, 06:48 AM

How & where do yours eat their wings?

I've just given Tilly 2 chicken wings for her breakfast, I'm new to this too so didn't enjoy the noises when crunching though she looked like all her Christmas's had come at once.

Do you give your dog all their chicken wings at once & they just sit there working their way through them, or do they take them off somewhere?

Anything "carryable" usually gets taken to Tilly's bed ! I wanted to give her 2 for breakfast this morning & the cat was lurking about on the worktop eating her food so I thought if I give her 2 at once in her bowl,she may take one off & then get the hump if the cat sniffs around the other one being that it's such high value - she's not bothered if the cat has her kibble, but a chicken wing could be a whole different story!
So I gave her 1 in a bowl which she took out of the bowl & layed on the kitchen floor eating. When she had finished that I put the other in the bowl & she took that to her bed.
Ideally I'd like her to eat them in the kitchen, not in her bed, but I don't want to un nerve her or have any food guarding (although she hasn't for over a year now)
I was pleased that she was happy to eat the first one in the kitchen with me pottering around.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2010, 08:08 AM
Big bones are fed outside, smaller bones they get indoors but I insist they stay in the kitchen - not that I mind but my brother's girlfriend lives with us and is a bit weirded out by the raw, so at least with the slate tiles, the kitchen is totally wipe-down-able. They do often try to sneak them off to their bed, but I always watch them with bones just incase and a quick "Ah ah" stops them - then they tend to just lie down in the kitchen to munch them
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2010, 08:25 AM
My lot eat them where they`re given them in case one of others pinch it.
The amount they get depends on the size of the wings and the dog.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2010, 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
My lot eat them where they`re given them in case one of others pinch it.
The amount they get depends on the size of the wings and the dog.
so if they are having a couple each, do you give them one at a time so there's no need to guard the other one?
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2010, 09:26 AM
I put wings into their bowls outside in the yard. They tend to munch through them in situ with wings but if it's something bigger like a leg and thigh they wander off to find a flower pot to rest it on. I always supervise them now they are fed raw because their enjoy it more than kibble and are more likely to try to pinch each others.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-10-2010, 09:30 AM
I put whatever they're having in their bowls and they stand and eat them in situ the only things they eat on the floor are large recreational bones, everything else is eaten just like kibble would be and yet some of the chunks they get are quite large.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the replies - just wondered what others did
I don't really want her going outside at the mo as I want to keep an eye on her. She wouldn't stand & eat anything other than kibble - she likes to lay down & get her paws around it
I guess if she really wants to take to her bed, I could put a small towel on it so save the bed getting raw meat on it!
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2010, 09:51 AM
Zymi eats about 3 times as fast as Cava so mine get them handed out one at a time. Zymi eats where he's handed his and Cava hides under the table
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2010, 11:32 AM
I hand feed the wings to mine, as Codee and Deacon bolt food given half a chance and then whip Jamie's!! But they eat in the kitchen, as it has a tiled floor, so easily cleaned!!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Jake usually gets his outside, coz he will take things to his bed and never eats raw out of his bowl (unless its liver as thats gone in about a second ). but now it is starting to get colder and wetter, i am giving him it in the kitchen (where his bed is). so i have a blanket thing i put over his bed, so he eats on that. the blanket is only down when its dinner time.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >