Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 10:55 AM

Winter has finally hit!!!

We had the longest, most beautiful Fall in my lifetime, I think... We've never gone this long without snow... well today it finally hit... with a VENGENCE!!! it's been blizzarding since 9 PM last night (now almost 4 AM) I got home from work, and took the dogs out for a potty break... it was soooo funny! Our yard isn't fenced, so we have to go out with the dogs on leashes... but I couldn't not let Ollie run... for a dog from Texas, he sure does like snow! He ripped around doing zoomies, and leaps and dives... when we came in his face was froze solid... his wire fur really collects the snow. Mouse WAS. NOT. IMPRESSED! I put on her booties and coat... she would not get off my feet! I would take a step, she'd get right back on my feet! after about 10 minutes (I was frozen) I brought her back in... she peed, but I dont know what she's going to do when she has to poop! she cant hold it all winter! LOL

Next time, I'm bringing out my camera! Silly monsters!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 11:05 AM
Awwww bless them, Louie loves all the thick frost we've got here, cant wait til the snow comes and if it doesnt, I'm visiting Scotland with him.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 12:58 PM
If we had snow like that here you wouldn't have got home from work as this country grinds to a halt after a few little flakes.
I have never understood why other countries can carry on whatever the weather throws at them but here if the leaves fall off the trees too quickly it causes a problem on the railways etc. Too hot and the roads melt and too cold and the grit doesn't work if they grit in the first place
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
If we had snow like that here you wouldn't have got home from work as this country grinds to a halt after a few little flakes.
I have never understood why other countries can carry on whatever the weather throws at them but here if the leaves fall off the trees too quickly it causes a problem on the railways etc. Too hot and the roads melt and too cold and the grit doesn't work if they grit in the first place
We actually dont get alot of snow here compared to other parts of Canada and the US. Our climate is too dry... but it does get DARN cold! this 'little dump' gave us 4" maybe, tho it's hard to tell as it's drifted up. In Ontario, 4" is a skiff, 12" is a 'little dump' LOL

I did have a bit of trouble getting home, as I live out of town and have to drive on the highway... the time of night I drive there's no traffic on it... there were some nice sized drifts... I had to slow down to 80km/h tho I drive a 4x4 truck... I did fatch up to a car going 50... following his tracks, it looked like he was having a bit of trouble with the drifts. I imagine there will be some accidents on the roads today, as it rained last night before it snowed, so the roads are really slick!

Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Awwww bless them, Louie loves all the thick frost we've got here, cant wait til the snow comes and if it doesnt, I'm visiting Scotland with him.
They are really fun to watch in the snow. Louie's first experience with the stuff could be alot of fun to watch. Oliver, my dog from Texas, seriously disappointed me... I thought I'd get to watch some prancing, pawing or something funny... but he just dove right in the first time he saw snow! which was right off the airplane as I picked him up in February. silly guy, he was soooo excited to see the snow last night!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2010, 07:18 AM
It is true that we tend to grind to a halt when it snows hard (or even a little ).

I think it must be amazing to live somewhere like Canada!!

I hope your dogs continue to cope well - it must be weird after all the sun and lovely weather

Wys
x
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2010, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
It is true that we tend to grind to a halt when it snows hard (or even a little ).

I think it must be amazing to live somewhere like Canada!!

I hope your dogs continue to cope well - it must be weird after all the sun and lovely weather

Wys
x
Well, the temp dropped even more today, it was -20C tonight!!! YIKES on Sunday it was +6C! Mouse did well tonight tho, she did her busy really fast then I picked her up in my coat while the others did theirs, and Ollie played! btu everyone had cold feet really fast, including me! so we didn't spend much time outside! LOL

here's something I learned yesterday, when driving in the winter, it's best to have a back window in your truck!!!!!! DARN that was COLD!

so a plywood window it is, until I can get the glass installed!
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-11-2010, 11:57 AM
I hate snow and ice ..I live on a hill that does not get salted so get stuck in when weather is bad ..Its a right PITA
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2010, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
I hate snow and ice ..I live on a hill that does not get salted so get stuck in when weather is bad ..Its a right PITA
ahhh yes, the lovely stuck on a hill.... There was a semi truck stuck on a hill last night on my way home, he couldn't get up the hill! so a tow truck had to pull him up and over! it was really funny looking!

we had both snow and ice yesterday, as it rained before it snowed. then got windy and polished everything up nice!

There's a heck of a snowdrift out back of my place and Oliver was sure enjoying playing in it! he was tearing around, sticking his face in, jumping it, man can he jump. He had to have had 10-12 ft bounds! I swear his prints were that far apart! The silly monster certainly loves the snow and ice... even when he's trying to keep all 4 cold feet off the ground! LOL
ume chika
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-11-2010, 02:42 PM
our jack loves the snow but gets confused as it hides familar smells, and the first time he saw a snowman he backed up and barked at it and we had to teach him it was ok, after that he got cocky and peed on all the snowmen he could find!
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2010, 04:13 PM
[QUOTE=Sara'n'Scout;2094174]Well, the temp dropped even more today, it was -20C tonight!!!

OMG - that is so cold. I think everything would grind to a halt if it was that low here and I thought it was chilly today at about +7. Look forward to seeing pics of yours in the snow.