Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lucyf
New Member!
Female 

15-01-2007, 12:17 PM

Peeing in the house!!!

My Staffs three months old now and usually when she needs a wee she goes to the door and if i let her out regually now she is fine her bladder seems to be geting stronger but sometimes she just squats and does it in the house and its as if she cant be bothered to go to the door??

When is it with young dogs that they stop weeing in the house and can sleep all night and hold it in untill morning i know all dogs are diffrent but what age roughly???
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2007, 12:42 PM
She's still only a tiny baby and it could be that she has quite simply forgotten that she needed to go then when she remembers it has to be quick. Instead of waiting for her to ask you to go out let her out every couple of hours. It can be 6mths or more before they are clean.
Becky
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-01-2007, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by lucyf View Post
My Staffs three months old now and usually when she needs a wee she goes to the door and if i let her out regually now she is fine her bladder seems to be geting stronger but sometimes she just squats and does it in the house and its as if she cant be bothered to go to the door??

When is it with young dogs that they stop weeing in the house and can sleep all night and hold it in untill morning i know all dogs are diffrent but what age roughly???
Hi Lucy it sounds as if your puppy is doing very well but at three months she is still too young to have full control of her bodily functions, that usually comes after four months.

When puppies are sleeping they don't wish to relieve themselves. Some puppies don't wake until morning and don't need to go out in the night, they vary puppy to puppy and breed to breed.

When your puppy squats it is best to take her outside to the place you wish her to go and to say nothing, clear up any accidents and wipe the area with white vinegar then wash with biological washing powder. If you get cross your puppy may be scared to go in your presence and may go elsewhere or eat the evidence.

I would continue with the housetraining until your puppy has learnt what is expected of her and this means taking her out at the times she is most likely to want to go, after sleep play/food/excitement/every hour/when she indicates a desire to go by sniffing and circling. You need to take her out to the place you wish her to go and to stay with her rather than just letting her out of the door ,when she relieves herself in the correct place use a word that she can associate with the action like 'be clean' while she is actually going then praise her and give a treat when she has finished. This will teach her going outside brings a reward, going inside doesn't.

Gradually stop giving the treat but always praise her. Eventually going to relieve herself outside will become learnt behaviour and she will always do it.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2007, 12:58 PM
Hi Lucy, Roxy was 6 months before she stopped weeing in the house. It takes every pup different times. and she still had the odd occasion up until 8 months of ages

Takes a while. be patient, you'll get there.