Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 11:10 AM

How do you leave two dogs together

If they have a playful relationship that has been known on occasion to get out of hand and end in tears. Both are food aggressive but not territorial or toy aggressive.

Ideally I would like to leave them together in the garden with access into the conservatory where their beds and toys are. Obviously I can't leave them with a kong or treat ball as they would fight over the treats. Do you think they would be enough company for each other? What if they had a spat when i wasn't there?

How do others of you with packs of dogs cope when you leave them alone? I have never had two dogs before who play together. Though I have nearly always has three dogs they have always been independant and don't play together.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
If they have a playful relationship that has been known on occasion to get out of hand and end in tears. Both are food aggressive but not territorial or toy aggressive.

Ideally I would like to leave them together in the garden with access into the conservatory where their beds and toys are. Obviously I can't leave them with a kong or treat ball as they would fight over the treats. Do you think they would be enough company for each other? What if they had a spat when i wasn't there?

How do others of you with packs of dogs cope when you leave them alone? I have never had two dogs before who play together. Though I have nearly always has three dogs they have always been independant and don't play together.
We have 3 who share the dinning room (everything has been taken out but the dog beds and it is now the dog room!) Cassie sits in her basket and sleeps most the day but she does join in the odd play when she wants. The other two are non stop players/boxers though. I was a bit worried at first that it may get out of hand or be a bit much for Raina being the younger dog but she is a bossy madam and when she has had enough she lets ela know and then settles down.

Thanks to Dog cam (when it was live) i was able to watch them and they were really good and understanding each others limits. Failing that if it got too much then Cassie would often tell them off as well and send them to there beds. Tugga toys, sqeaky balls and the wubba are there fav toys for play as well.
tokiayla
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 11:21 AM
I look after someone's Bernese regularly and I always worry about leaving them together in the house, as they play constantly.
Though it doesn't usually end in tears, Stone tells him off proper when he as had enough (the Bernese is much youger than him). Will one of yours back off when it gets too much?
All I do is take their collars off incase they get caught up, but not sure if that is an option if you are leaving them in your garden?
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 11:23 AM
My two share the downstaires of the house, beds, toys, treat, water and bones (only large rawhide, no knotted end ones or small bits left) when they are left. Collars removed.

I am very lucky I have an EXTREMELY submissive male who has never once had a scrap with our female since we got her (nearly 3 years ago) - she's gentle with him too, at the most may charge at a bone if she thinks we're not watching and thinks he is going towards it and she's halfway through chewing it - just left it to go for a drink or something, but the male will roll his eyes and walk in the other direction.

Only you know if you trust yours to be left alone together?

Personally, if I had any doubt that they would fight, I would seperate them, I would worry all day? Also, without kongs, toys left they may become bored, I wouldn't dream of leaving mine with nothing to do? (even with each other!) this may only lead to fighting. If they were seperated they could have everything they wanted left to play with!

I know of two labs with an up and down relationship who were left and unfortunatelty one managed to injure the other so badly presumably through a scrap it got put to sleep
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 11:31 AM
Dog that might play I don't leave together. Too much room for accidents.

rune
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 01:12 PM
I`ve always left my lot together with run of house and garden. Because they have room to get away from each other they are fine.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 01:17 PM
mia is crated in a giant crate
ben sleeps all day on the sofa

they have only had one fight in 18 months but i would worrt too much
also i expect them to chill when i am not there not charge about wrestling
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 01:28 PM
I leave all four of mine together, but they have never given me reason not to.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 01:35 PM
I don't think I would leave two dogs that have fought in the past together.

I keep my big two together when I'm out but crate Tilly. Tilly and Bo wind each other up and are often playing, but due to their size difference I can't risk it. Bo is a klutz and unaware of her size, and vice versa.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 04:28 PM
I'm not sure I would want to crate one and leave the other out it would seem cruel although I suppose I could alternate it. One thought i had was to buy a kennel and run for the garden to keep them apart but close.

They are the same size but are two bitches which means when they do fight they show no signs of letting up! Every time they have squabbled in the past I have dragged one off then given them a time out to calm down. It's all blown over in a matter of minutes and they would be back to playing again in no time. But I do worry how far they would go if I wasn't there to break it up.

I don't have anywhere else I can split them. The oldies have the house so that only leaves the garden and constervatory. It would be too hot to leave one in the conservatory without them being able to go in and out when they want to
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >