Our sister sites
Our sister sites
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-08-2009, 07:30 PM

Lasting Effects of Kennel Cough

Hi guys,

I am in the process of adopting puppy from Dogs Trust but for the last 3 weeks she has been stuck at their kennels suffering from kennel cough.

Does anyone know if there are likely to be any lasting effects to her health from this? We have been told again today that she needs another few days of tablets.

Whilst I am not adverse to rescues with problems (a 3 legged springer spaniel and a gsd x with elbow dysplasia) and I know you can't ever predict the future I don't really want to set myself up knowingly with a dog that may never be fully healthy.

Any experiences or thoughts would be welcomed, thanks.

Alison
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2009, 07:49 PM
Usually they recover without any lasting effects, although complications are possible. I have a dog that developed pneumonia whilst suffering kennel cough, he was extremely ill, it left him with a heart murmur.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2009, 07:53 PM
I was once rescuing a spaniel and it developed kennel cough so they wouldn't let me have her, and although I kept pestering the life out of them, it seemed to go on for weeks, so I gave up, but I can't tell you whether that was complications with the kennel cough or not, sorry!

Maybe your dog came to them unvaccinated, or maybe unboostered so didn't get the KC vaccine each year like it should, and even if they gave it to him/her on arrival, maybe it didn't have time to work before she picked it up. I think some kennels can be rife with this once it starts hence the name of it I suppose!

My previous dog had this once (we think!) and she got over it pretty quickly. She caught that whilst out on a walk and I met a lady who told me her dog HAD kennel cough at the time Hmmmmm, that's what I thought and my poor dog ended up with it even though she was vaccinated each year.

Hopefully your dog will get over it and you can carry on with the process of picking her up, got everything crossed that this will be the case for him/her.
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-08-2009, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Usually they recover without any lasting effects, although complications are possible. I have a dog that developed pneumonia whilst suffering kennel cough, he was extremely ill, it left him with a heart murmur.
Thanks. This is what I am beginning to worry about now extra complications. I guess we will only know that when she is recovered.

Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I was once rescuing a spaniel and it developed kennel cough so they wouldn't let me have her, and although I kept pestering the life out of them, it seemed to go on for weeks, so I gave up, but I can't tell you whether that was complications with the kennel cough or not, sorry!

Maybe your dog came to them unvaccinated, or maybe unboostered so didn't get the KC vaccine each year like it should, and even if they gave it to him/her on arrival, maybe it didn't have time to work before she picked it up. I think some kennels can be rife with this once it starts hence the name of it I suppose!
The pup is only 12 weeks and has been ill for 4 weeks. She was found dumped on the street with her mum and litter mates so not a good start. I am having the same trouble you did with the spaniel. I am pestering but we seem to be getting no further, I am not allowed to visit her and have not seen her since the end of July. I am beginning to wonder whether or not we should give up and look for another rescue as there are plenty more
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2009, 10:27 AM
You are lucky they are being so cautious, a few years ago I picked upa puppy from a rescue to foster with tablets for a runny nose. It turned out to be kennel cough & it took 3 courses of different antibiotics & 5 weeks to clear it. Problem was until it was cleared she couldn't have her injections for parvo etc so she was really vulnerable. When she finally fully recovered she went from strength to strength though, & had no lasting effects.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2009, 11:00 AM
Hi,

You are wise to wait. I know it's hard when you want to be with your newly chosen pup and it's such a shame that she's so young and poorly but she should recover without further problems - most dogs do.

My youngest GSD, Yiannis (now 10 months old almost) came out of Birmingham Dogs' Home with a nasty bout of KC. They sent him home with antibiotics but didn't refuse to let him go. He recovered compeltely within a few days. Zane cught it from him and other than a little sniffle, he was fine and didn't need any medication or extra care.

Ellie on the other hand was very poorly with it. Her nose was compeltely blocked at one point and I had to sit up and hold her upright so she could breathe whilst she slept for 4 nights. It was hell and her tablets didn't do much to help.

They'd all been vaccinated against it but I suppose it was a different strain.

last year (Sept-Dec) I had a rescue dog, Murphy (naughtiest dog I've ever known) who caught it. Only he had it and Zane and Ellie didn't catch it at all.

So I think it depends on the strain of KC, how healthy the dog is to begin with (although my dogs getting it shows it doesn't make much difference as Ellie seems to be the healthiest generally) and the environment they're in, both when they catch it and whilst recovering.

If your new pup only needs another few days of tablets then I take it she's gettign better? If so then pester them to let you visit her adn hopefully you'll be able to takre her home with you very soon. I wouldn't give up on her just yet. If you've waited since July then another few days or a week, although it will seem longer, isn't so long really.

Good luck.

Laura xx
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2009, 11:29 AM
My PRT had terrible kennel cough and a chest infection when he came home to us. He was on antibiotics for a while and we weren't allowed to walk him whilst he was still infectious with the KC.

I would say he was fully recovered in about 3 weeks (but that was mainly because of the chest infection) and has had no lasting effects. This was over 2 years ago
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-08-2009, 08:33 PM
Thanks everyone,

I know it is wise to wait as I don't want to expose Molly to it if it's not absoloutly necessary! The dogs trust also tell me there is a possibility that she could transfer it to my cats and rabbits too

I feel more confident now that she will have no lasting effects. But sadly she has just been given another 7 days of tablets. Good news tho that the ban on visiting has now been lifted and we can now go and see her!

So as soon as they open tomorrow that is exactly where I will be