Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2005, 10:15 PM

Mobile phones.

Can anybody tell me whether you can swap mobile phone companies or not and is it legal to do this. My daugher Laura wants a Pink Samsung E350 phone for Christmas and this phone is only available in Argos but it is on T Mobile which she hates and she wants O2. We were meant to be getting the phone for her and then last week her lovely dad decided that he wanted to buy it for her so we agreed to this and now this week she has been down again and he's now decided he doesn't want to get it afterall and that we can buy it again He was going to get it and have it chipped so that she can have O2 on it but I wouldn't have a clue how and where to have it chipped or if it is okay to do this

Can anybody enlighten me please
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2005, 10:22 PM
Course it's legal if you buy the phone You would need an O2 sim & an unlock code I did mine over the net when I went from Orange to O2 I also took the number I had from Orange as I have loads of people who have my number & I'm too mean to text them all with a new number That cost me a tenner !

The unlock code cost me £4

Have a look Here
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2005, 10:32 PM
So where do we need to go to get a code then - Laura told me you had to take it to a shop and they do something to the phone - is this not true then
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-11-2005, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
So where do we need to go to get a code then - Laura told me you had to take it to a shop and they do something to the phone - is this not true then
You can get it done that way but Im not sure how legal it is A lot of our local phone shops unlock your phone for a few pounds.

I had to phone for an unlock code for an old phone of mine. It cost me £30 at the time from Orange but that was years ago.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2005, 11:33 PM
Originally Posted by Carole
You can get it done that way but Im not sure how legal it is A lot of our local phone shops unlock your phone for a few pounds.

I had to phone for an unlock code for an old phone of mine. It cost me £30 at the time from Orange but that was years ago.
Thanks Carole She is really doing my head in with this phone now because I have just asked her if she wants us to get the phone but she decided that she wants a Sony PSP as her main present from us and knows that if we get the phone that she won't get that because there is no way her dad will get it for her. The phones are in stock at Argos at the moment too but she wants her dad to get it again now The Sony PSP is out of stock and I don't know if anywhere else has any in stock or if they will before Christmas Why is there always something every Christmas that goes in short supply and gives parents headaches I remember a few years ago keep trying to get the Harry Potter castle that Daniel had set his heart on and we just got the last one.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-11-2005, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
Why is there always something every Christmas that goes in short supply and gives parents headaches
Tell me about it Im trying to get a pink Sony Walkman Bean mp3 player and cant find one anywhere.
sambo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-11-2005, 05:15 PM
Hi Foxy here is a site i have used previously they will give you the codes to unlock it yourself, your daughter is right you can take it to most shops and they will unlock it for you for a small price round by me they charge 5 pound.

[Mod Edit: URL removed: Rules stipulate no links to other forums]

If you visit the o2 site you can get a free sim card aswell they are called genie chips they give you 300 free txt messages per month as long as you top up 10 pound every month.