register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: At what age did you dogs 'ask'?
3-4 months old 16 50.00%
5-6 months old 5 15.63%
7-8 months old 3 9.38%
9-10 months old 4 12.50%
11-12 months old 0 0%
1 year - 2 years old 2 6.25%
Still hasn't asked/too young 4 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-09-2006, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by Tigger2 View Post
Oooh, maybe its a Springer thing. Ultimate bladder control.
Very well could be! They are such responsive dogs..plus the fact Ralph was slightly obsessed with Polly, our old JRT bitch and used to mimic a lot of what she did-however, he was going toilet outside before he came to us according to the breeder.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2006, 12:05 PM
well...my dogs never bark for anything serious ...(only ever in play)...I get a bit of whining from Takoda and pacing from me to the back door and Keena paces and herds me to the back door...so with them it really is about watching them. Although mostly they don't have to ask as I always seem to be one step ahead of them and just open the door up door them sporadically (unless it's warm weather and then it's just left open).

Kody, the youngest of the two, especially was very quickly housetrained and I can't remember him having an accident past 3 or so months he was a good boy with his toilet training...Keena took longer but once she got there she was great and both are completly trustworthy.

Just to add: they are also trustworthy in other 'homely enviroments' but when we went to the vets Takoda did pee there as we were on our way out.
paulabgv
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-09-2006, 12:11 PM
Hi all

Out of my lot Toby was a nightmare and he was 18 months old before he would ask to go out and he had quite a few accidents up until then.
JJ was really good and was asking at about 4 months old and Georgie well she is only 10 weeks old and she runs to the door and yaps, we take her out and she goes straight away. She does have night time accidents still though.
Radar Ears
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2006, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by DobieGirl View Post
Following on from my 'embarrasing' thread, I would be most interested to know how old your dogs were when they first started to 'paw the door' or whine/scratch/bark to be let out for a wee.

Roxy is almost 8 months now, and still not a peep apart from the obvious puppy indications, sniffing around in circles.

Also please post what they first started to do to let you know they needed to go out, and what they do now.

It is a multi-vote poll for those of you with more than one dog.
Sorry, I can't vote, as mine isn't there.

Mick, my Labrador did it from the day we brought him home, (Saturday 8th May 1994 it was )when he was a pup, he was eight weeks old, he stooped down to do a wee, my hubby picked him up quick, plonked him outside and from then on, he went to the back door and squeaked (like a mouse) to be let out.

We reckoned that Roger and Patricia (where we got him from, had started partially training the pups early.)
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2006, 01:14 PM
Have to admit Roxy is getting better, if we say "wee wee's" to her she will generally tilt her head if she does, otherwise she'll just ignore us. and we have had no wee accidents in our home, however over-night we've had a few number 2 accidents.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2006, 01:28 PM
Have you ever tried that tip I got off somebody once, where you put the one she did in the house, outside in the yard where you want her to go??? It really works!! Try and find a spot where she might regularly have a poo in the garden, and next time she does one in the house, pick it up and put it out there - try it, apparently it works every time! p.s. don't forget the poo bag though!!!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-09-2006, 01:39 PM
Consistantly asking to go out was about 4 months. She started to scratch at the back door to be let out, now if I don't notice her scratch she will bark as well. The problem was only ever with her wee's though, she poo'd outside consistantly from very early on.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2006, 01:42 PM
normally they 'ask' at about 3 to 4 months...at least they start to!!!! They tend to stand by the door (patio or back) Saturn now jangles the keys...he sits there and hits the keys ion the lock so they make a noise!!!!!
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-09-2006, 08:34 PM
Wouldnt have believed this if I hadnt seen it with my own eyes but I had one dog (rescue from a trash can when she was new born) that actually would go to the door by 4 weeks old. Obviously she couldnt control her bladder but Id started her right off the bat going out of the same door every time, straight to the same area of grass and she would go there....by 4 weeks she would toddle off to the door and do a circle or two, if we werent quick enough she would pee there but mostly she made it out to the grass. All my other dogs have been adults when I got them, most I never had a problem with, a couple took about a week or less.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2006, 08:48 PM
Isla has always been very clean in the house and was clean all night from day 3 of her coming home.

She started to "ask" to go out fairly early on, but consistently I'd say about 3-4 months.

She's just done it now actually, but I don't know whether you can say she's asking as she will just sit at the back door staring at you until you realise she needs to go out!

Only once has she ever barked to go out and I swear it sounded like "Oi!"
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >