View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2008, 01:09 PM
Thanks so much for all the replies people. I am going back to basics with him as he used to be fine and would stay close to me while off lead. It's just recently all the old tricks of running in the opposite direction and waving my hands in the air while making high pitched noises are not working and he will quite happily vanish from site without a care in the world. . So it is back to basics and I want to really reinforce his recall which is why I'm looking for the advice. I started his training in the house from the day I got him with treats and he would gladly take whatever I gave him. When he was six months and we started ring craft I used left over roast beef, steak, sausage and cheese some others too that I can't remember but he was just not interested in anything so long as there were other dogs around. I want to decide on something and stick to that instead of trying lots of different things and confusing the matter.
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Have you done any clicker training?
No I've never tried it. I've heard it's quite hard as you have to get the timing spot on. I'd be afraid I'd get it wrong and do more harm than good
workinggsd
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-05-2008, 01:18 PM
Do you play with him much?you need to be the be all and end all for him, loads of games at home with recall and a special toy, always keep him close even when out walking and play with him, don't throw the toy it has to be 1on1 close games, if he is given the chance to forge ahead,and ignore you for another dog you have set yourself back by several weeks,
As soon as another dog comes onto the horrizon bring the toy out, and get him to focus on you, once you are this favorite game, you will find his recalls will also fall into place, as walking practice your recall on lead and reward with a game
good luck
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2008, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by Berger View Post
No I've never tried it. I've heard it's quite hard as you have to get the timing spot on. I'd be afraid I'd get it wrong and do more harm than good
I've only tried it with the Cosmic one and it's brill. I actually now think there is more room for error without a clicker as a clicker marks the behaviour in a much moe clear way for the dog. Might be worth trying it.

As for treats...yes, stick to the same one and only use it for recall, but sometimes the dog can become bored so it can help to have 2 or 3 different high reward treats in your arsenal and rotate them on a weekly basismor if you see his recall going into decline again.

It sounds like je is going through one of those phases, when everything has clicked and everyone gets lazy (in a nice way) I know it happens with Cosmo...he gtes stuff so we leave off the full on training and reinforcement for a while and we all get a bit lazy. Sometimes it just needs tweaking and tidying up and to be honest if he's had it beofre, he should sail through your retraining programme!!!! Keep it consistent and fun and he'll be sorted in no time!
Good luck!
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2008, 03:03 PM
I totally agree Ailsa we had kind of taken our eye off the ball. We had done all the training and everything was fine and stupidly thought it would stay that way as it did with my last little collie x. I was so spoiled with her. I think I will give clicker training a go. Thanks again for all the great advice xx
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2008, 03:07 PM
No probs, I'm sure you'll have it sorted quickly, once he realises you are back on the ball with it! Cheeky things these dogs are!
Keep us posted!
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2008, 03:15 PM
Will do
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2008, 04:24 PM
I don't do treats...just praise. If they look like they are about to go off, I use a 'nice voice' I don't panic or raise voice, I just clap hands, bend down and sound silly I also click the dog lead , so now when I want them to come back (when they are nearer to me) before we cross the road, I click the lead and they 'stop-an-stand'

PS. I'm a firm believer in being calm........mine respond to calm
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2008, 09:33 PM
Hiya,

I started taking a tug toy out with me. I found it fantastic for teaching and maintaining recall for Takara even though she was interested in treats, I was trying to cut back on them as she had started to put a little weight on.

Takara loves playing tuggy but is terrible at fetch, so to reward with a game of fetch would be very expensive in balls!

It depends on your dog as to whether praise is enough but for a lot of dogs, it just isn't. It isn't for Takara - she gets varied reinforcement, sometimes a biscuit, sometimes a game of tug, sometimes praise and then permission to go and play again or sometimes nothing at all!
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2008, 11:00 PM
cuddles work, they don't all like treats praise is good maukay, in the voice of tom hanks in forest gump lol
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >