View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kirstyc
Dogsey Junior

07-09-2004, 07:31 AM

Crash Course in crate training please

Hi all, as you may know my new pup will be here in 26 days, and I will be crate taining her and would appreciate any hints or tips you guys can offer. I didn't crate tain my 1st but as I am hoping to show with Phoebe, I want to start as I mean to go on. Thanks guys
Emma-836592
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2004, 11:30 AM
with the pups from my litter i had the crate out from when they were in the kicthen running around and left it open for them just to go in and out as they pleased, all of them are being crate trained at their new homes and so far only one has objected to the door being closed at night and they are all clean all night too. The 3 i still have here all sleep in the crate day (with door open) and night although due to there still being 3 i do leave the door open all night and leave paper down for them if they need it.
If the breeder has used crates with them then you should have no problems and she/he will take to it straight away.

Good Luck Kirtsy
Emma
xxxxx
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

07-09-2004, 01:50 PM
It was easy for us as we work from home.. With Rocky, in the first week we had the crate we put him in there for most of the day however, every half hour he would be allowed out side and whenever he peed or pood he would get loadsa praise.

He never pood in his crate but at night time would pee in there so I put a seperator in the crate to half the size as it was too big. Within about two weeks he was trained! now he never poos or pees in the house

Good luck!
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-09-2004, 02:04 PM
We made the crate as comfy and cosy as we could and it was Murphs 'den' (I've never fed him in there although I know some peeps do ) we left the door open for as much of the time as possible -only closing it if we nipped out - he did cry for a few nights and muggins here would go down and hold his paw till he settled but he did get used to it and it was a Godsend.
He never messed in it at all :smt038
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2004, 08:56 PM
we had crate full of toys and a cosy bed and a bowl of water all ready for max for when he got home and he actually went straight in it. The kids know its a no go area and if max is in there he has to be left. Up until this week max was shut in there at night and when we went out in the day. His water bowl lives in there and i always feed him in there. When i used to go out i would say in your bed lead him to crate and treat then lock the door. He always went in without a fuss in the day and at night. He has never weed or pooed in it and would wait till we let him out. We had 5 wees in the house in total and one poo and they were all by the back door when we had forgot to open door. He doesnt often go in his crate if we are in but has never objected to going in when we say in your bed. We have just started leaving door of crate open in day if we go out and he has been fine but when i came in today he was lying in his crate with door open as i think he feels secure in their. I will always reccommend a crate to anyone from now on as he has never been able to hurt himself while i am not there and nothing of mine has been destroyed. I suppose iof left from day 1 they could form bad habits out of boredom but max has had no access to our stuff while alone so now it doesnt occur to him to chew our stuff and our carpets are all intact. good luck with new pup
kirstyc
Dogsey Junior

22-09-2004, 08:49 AM
Thanks so much for all your advice!! took me a while to reply as I forgot i posted in here, I am always looking in general chat and the piccies!! lol
Emma-836592
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2004, 08:50 AM
@ kirsty