Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
But they are all recognisable as collies.

I have yet to see a BC working that looks like a cross. The more showing is done with them the more the breed start to conform in the ring and so the farm collies start to look 'wrong'.

I am not aware of any other breed with as many colour variations as collies, or as many acceptable ear sets? But this is slowly changing and this is all due to the showing set.

Your post shows that collies (as with Springers, Cockers and Labs, to a point,) are becoming more of a spilt breed, working and show type. I find that sad.
I have so many mixed feelings on this subject. Half of me thinks that the border collie should remain a working dog. Full stop. The KC should never have been allowed to become involved and all working bred pups should be sold to working homes wherever possible. However, life is far from ideal most of the time. People want collies for sports activities, active pets, and to show. Not to work sheep. In fact, most of these other category would be happy for their dog to show no interest in sheep whatsoever. I do find that very sad for the future of the breed. Having said that, perhaps it would be a wise thing for the working collie and show collie to become two separate breeds. That would be if working dogs remained working dogs, and the show dogs could be bred to look like a collie but with an easier to live with temperament I really don't know! I am just trying to think of the welfare of the dogs at the end of the day. Let's face facts though, working people will never be interested in using a KC reg dog or buying a pup from show lines. Show line people are unlikely to want to use a working bred dog. So - how do you bring the two closer together?
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 08:48 PM
I sometimes think people who get collies would love to have the chance of working them - like me...But if you are a pet home, where the hell do you start?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Come on Tassle, the construction is pretty much the same on a decent worker as it is in a show collie, its only a bit of coat that makes the difference in most cases. Some working "Collies" Ive seen, and mainly in the Lakes Im talking here, look like they have Greyhound in them! They have showing rib cages, curly tails, poor temperament (running out and attacking other dogs) and so many have such long legs, they really do look like a collie/grey cross.

Im not getting into a debate over the "changes" you appear to be seeing, but I will say that farmers on the whole have very little concern of what a dog looks like as long as it works, and if longer legs help, so be it, if its kept thinner because it can go faster, so be it!
The ones you could be seeing in the Lakes are what is classed as a Lakeland cur. There are many farmers in the Lakes that don't have collies at all. They use these cur type dogs (which are basically noisy mongrel types (probably with a wee bit of collie in them)) who yap and scare the sheep out from the rocky fells but don't herd and work like a collie at all I was pretty surprised the first time or two I saw the local farmers bringing their flocks down off the fell. These curs will have been bred like that for generations on different family farms.
joto
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-01-2011, 08:56 PM
You are forgetting pets, many many people have collies not to work or compete but as pets. The farmer breeds a litter to keep a pup to work and sells the rest to pet homes.

We had one ourselves for 17 years but he did work after a fashion as he went to work with my OH in an outdoor education center before he got too old.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
with regard to BCs, Isnt it actually the working folks that would be at the centre of the 'looks' changing, after all people breeding to produce show puppies will be breeding with the aim to have puppies as closely matched to the standard as possible - Them that are breeding to run on puppies out in the feild, wont care what their puppies look like to a certain extent - and will be more inclinded to mate dogs that are good workers, with them tempermants their after. That I can totally understand as looks means nothing to them in the way the look of the dog doesnt alter its performance.

I am not around the BC showing scence to be fair, so cant say I know or have seen the changes that have occured. But to me breeding for a thicker coat isnt much of a problem is it? I have seen some BC in the ring with flashy thick coats, and others with less of a coat. I must admit I do like the look of the BC with heavier coats. Personal preference though.

Their is a massive variation in CCs...Different amounts of funishings, different colours and markings. The hairless and the puffs, the deer and the cobby..ect. I like variation to some extent...But for me my idea of a perfect CC will stay the same...Regardless of whats winning in the ring.
Farmers and shepherds have been breeding border collies for centuries. Their dogs still look like collies yet have the ability to work sheep ... the whole purpose of the border collie. Shepherds don't breed to any "standard" as such, and that is the difference. The trend in show collies at the moment is for very heavily coated, black/white almost clone types. The working ability or instinct doesn't come into the picture at all That is what is sad.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
The trend in show collies at the moment is for very heavily coated, black/white almost clone types. The working ability or instinct doesn't come into the picture at all.
You only have to see the winners of last year's Breeders Award at Crufts to see it -the five (or was it six?) Tonkory BCs were like peas in a pod. I don't know if there's a video of that on the Cruft's site?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I'm guessing here, but is it possible that the blue eyes are connected to a gene that produces predominant white? I'm just thinking that the only black & white dogs I've seen with blue eye(s) are those with more white than the traditional b&w.
Ahh now I see where the "other" discussion has come from

No, I can categorically state that lots of collies I have seen with a wall eye, are not more predominantly white. Look at Tip here, as an example.

Another interesting point is that all the dogs in the back of this pick-up are related, all look quite distinctive and different, yet all are clearly border collies (this isn't directed at you Hali ... just the discussion in general )

MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Ahh now I see where the "other" discussion has come from

No, I can categorically state that lots of collies I have seen with a wall eye, are not more predominantly white.
Me too - Merlin's working sheepdog mother had one blue eye, and she had less white than most.

I think it is the other way around - the more white you get on the dog, the more you are likely to get blue eyes, but less white doesn't mean you can't at all (if that makes sense).
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
It happens a lot---the working lines need to be injected occasionally (at least the people who work them think they do and that is good enough for me!). Thats how they developed in the first place.

rune
What? The working lines need to be injected with ... what? Other breeds? Not in my experience tbh.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
It may well not have short legs, the coat is deceptive. It may well not be domed in the head either, it does appear to have low set ears, that would give that impression. Id like to get my hands on it, but I totally agree with you about the way it looks.
Unfortunately the US show collies are another different story altogether ...
Page 56 of 103 « First < 6 46 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 66 > Last »