Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

11-09-2009, 05:38 AM

Is aggression natural for dogs?

I have it in black and white from a certain celeb dog trainer that 'Aggression in a dog isn't natural'.
But I'm understanding more and more that it is a natural behaviour.

Anyone any opinions or pointers to some research please?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2009, 08:28 AM
Of course aggression is natural, it's part of the survival instinct so I suggest that that 'celeb' trainer needs to learn a bit more about real dog behaviour!
Becky
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2009, 08:32 AM
I'd say it is natural, as Mahooli says, but it's not natural for a dog to be uncommonly aggressive without reason. Like when dogs see another dog in the distance and immediately go into aggression mode. That's caused by fear or some other influence, rather than the dog's common sense, if you know what I mean. What I'm saying is that dogs are naturally social animals, so shouldn't be aggressive for no reason.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2009, 08:44 AM
I think i can understand where the 'celeb' trainer is coming from, but it is too simplistic to say that dogs are not naturally aggressive.

Roger Abrantes has written a couple of books - Dog Language (which I've read) and The Evolution of Canine Social Behaviour (which I haven't).

He makes the point that for pack animals aggression is a waste of energy and potentially life threatening so that pack animals (including dogs) learn various behaviours to avoid full on confrontation. So, in that respect, I think your celeb trainer is correct.

However, this doesn't mean that a dog will not be aggressive to another dog (or other animal) outside it's own pack, nor even in its pack if, for example, the 'appeasing ' behaviour/signals do not produce the desired effect and/or there is something really worth risking a fight for.

Dog Language isn't the easiest book to read as in some ways its more like a dictionary, but there are (imo anyway) some interesting explanations that do seem to make sense.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-09-2009, 09:29 AM
I think the celeb trainer actually says Aggression in a dog isn't really an issue at all. It's the outcome of an issue. Aggression in a dog isn't natural - unless there is a clear and specific reason such as threat or starvation.
Aggression develops when a dogs issues aren't dealt with, when frustrated energy has no release. Unfortunately, such aggression always escalates if left unchecked. The sad truth is when called in to deal with an aggressive dog, I usually find a dog that could easily have been saved from having the problem.
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

11-09-2009, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I think the celeb trainer actually says Aggression in a dog isn't really an issue at all. It's the outcome of an issue. Aggression in a dog isn't natural - unless there is a clear and specific reason such as threat or starvation.
Aggression develops when a dogs issues aren't dealt with, when frustrated energy has no release. Unfortunately, such aggression always escalates if left unchecked. The sad truth is when called in to deal with an aggressive dog, I usually find a dog that could easily have been saved from having the problem.

Yes, the thing with aggression is there is a cause. And if you can find the cause you can deal with the issue
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

11-09-2009, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I think i can understand where the 'celeb' trainer is coming from, but it is too simplistic to say that dogs are not naturally aggressive.

Roger Abrantes has written a couple of books - Dog Language (which I've read) and The Evolution of Canine Social Behaviour (which I haven't).

He makes the point that for pack animals aggression is a waste of energy and potentially life threatening so that pack animals (including dogs) learn various behaviours to avoid full on confrontation. So, in that respect, I think your celeb trainer is correct.

However, this doesn't mean that a dog will not be aggressive to another dog (or other animal) outside it's own pack, nor even in its pack if, for example, the 'appeasing ' behaviour/signals do not produce the desired effect and/or there is something really worth risking a fight for.

Dog Language isn't the easiest book to read as in some ways its more like a dictionary, but there are (imo anyway) some interesting explanations that do seem to make sense.
I understand now! This Celeb Trainer is very must into the 'pack' way of thinking. And of course, dogs are not pack animals.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-09-2009, 09:46 AM
aggression is natural in all species incl us
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-09-2009, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by TangoCharlie View Post
I understand now! This Celeb Trainer is very must into the 'pack' way of thinking. And of course, dogs are not pack animals.
they can be amongst themselves
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2009, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by TangoCharlie View Post
Dogs are pack animals, but not in the same way that real wild animals(as opposed to captivity wild animals)& can form good relationships with other dogs & animals of different species(including humans fortunately !)

Dog packs are rarely composed in the same way wild dog or wolf packs are(ie a breeding pair & most their offspring(that are not sexually mature)from more than one litter)

Aggression is a natural behaviour in a dog in certain circumstances, but is not an issue in a well balanced, reared dog
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »