Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-08-2009, 09:10 PM

Slipped Disc or IV Disc Disease Anyone?

Hi,

Is there anyone on here have much in the way of experience of a slipped disc and/or intervertebral disc disease?

My young gsd (3 yrs old yesterday) has been diagnosed with this recently, I suppose I'm still trying to get to grips with it - it kind of blew me away for a bit, he's been so fit and very agile.

He's currently on rimadyl and strict rest as a first stop, I'm trying to learn what I can and also, find out what the future may hold for us. His xrays also showed up a lumbosacral spondylosis on one side - couldn't believe it!!!

Thanks
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2009, 10:54 AM
Can't really help but my friends 8 year old bitch has had a slipped disc. It affected her considerably at first but after rest she recovered well & she now swims her to help. She's a dachshund & I believe its something they are prone to..
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2009, 06:55 PM
I had a Pug that had a slipped disc. I will say that his case did not end well, but that is not always the case!! Also, that is something his breed are prone to.

Where his disc was slipped, they were unable to operate or treat effectively. But I have seen dogs with slipped disc recover and thrive! It does take alot of work and (sometimes) expense, but recovery can happen!!

Wishing you all the best and EVERYTHING is crossed for you!!!
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I understand some of the smaller breeds ie. dachs etc. can be prone to this, although it is not unknown in the gsd.

It's quite scary really for a couple of reasons, the level of pain that can be experienced for one.

My lad is a couple of weeks in now, I've dropped the tramadol but he is still getting his rimadyl and will continue to do so for a couple of weeks or so yet. My lad's tail carriage isn't quite normal and doesn't seem to be improving much, suggesting there is a bit of a nerve issue. I was a little disconcerted when I asked the vet about this as she thought it was in relation to his spondylosis.

It's a very worrying time, just can't seem to get enough information on it and really don't know where we're headed at the minute.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2009, 10:54 PM
hi,
have you been to a neurologist? if not ask for a referral,they will have far more answers and experience than your regular vet to help you at this worrying time.x
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-09-2009, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
hi,
have you been to a neurologist? if not ask for a referral,they will have far more answers and experience than your regular vet to help you at this worrying time.x
Thanks, we're back at the vet again tomorrow, I'll enquire about a referral then.