register for free

Dog News

Police lock up dog with no exercise for two years

Police kept a dog in a 1m (3ft) by 3m (9ft) cage for two years without ever exercising it, the BBC can reveal.

Stella was seized after her owner was arrested on an unrelated matter in Devon in 2014.

Devon and Cornwall Police refused to give specific reasons why the dog could not be exercised. They said she was considered potentially dangerous.

More here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-35635935

Your comments and views:
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-02-2016, 10:14 AM
Very sad case. Poor dog .
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-02-2016, 11:11 AM
Yet another instance of the Police being unable or unwilling to deal correctly with dogs. I am sure that some individual that treated a dog in this way would be prosecuted.
They are inept at best - to my mind cruel and unneccessary.
This follows on from the North Wales incident where that poor foxhound was run over and killed by police. Surely it is about time something was done about this.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

29-02-2016, 12:21 PM
This is so sad
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-02-2016, 12:29 PM
I agree Gordon - Azz, can Dogsey do anything as a force to be reckoned with!!? There are enough of us - a petition?
Azz
Administrator
Male 

29-02-2016, 12:34 PM
I'm not sure Gnasher - I believe a court has already ordered the dog be put to sleep
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-02-2016, 12:53 PM
The ones that are ultimately to blame in this case are the breeders.

Like it or loathe it, this poor dog was brought into this world illegally. For me, the breeder, who must have known, should be sentenced to a term equalling the time and conditions their irresponsible act has caused
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-02-2016, 01:35 PM
So the dog hasn't attacked anyone, was just picked up when police visited the owner about an unrelated offence. They presented a video of her behaviour after she'd been caged with no interaction with people for two years and ordered to be destroyed as she might be potentially dangerous. Well wouldn't we all be potentially dangerous if treated in this way? The law is a joke and there needs to be time limits placed on how long a dog can be held and the owner should be allowed to interact with the animal while it's held.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-02-2016, 02:19 PM
Poor girl! I support the punish the deed not the breed lobby, but while the law remains as it is in the UK, why is there so great a temptation to own a banned breed in the first place? It must be heartbreaking to become homeless, or to be sent to prison, knowing that there is no way that your dog can legally be rehomed.
I'm sure I am not alone in getting more and more angry at hearing of so many loving, inoffensive dogs, who have to pay with their lives because of the actions of their aimless owners, and those who did not muzzle in public, or 'forget' to neuter, or renew their 3rd party insurance.
Yes, this is more bad press for the police, but they really are in a Catch 22 situation with the law as it is. As Chris says, it is really the backyard breeding these dogs which are at the root of the problem.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top