View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-01-2014, 03:00 PM
I was emailed photos of the mother and the five [I think it was five] puppies but I knew instantly which puppy I wanted - Pereg is, of course, the one on the right in that photo. And I phoned for a taxi, went straight there, all puppies around a food bowl - pointed to Pereg and said "that one".

Because I knew that she was my girl.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-01-2014, 04:41 PM
Malka, like you I use a mobility scooter and never had any problems with dogs and the scooter. When I foster I never have a healthy dog, there is usually something wrong with them and often they can't be exercised at first then very slowly for 5 minutes etc.

Peggy was my last foster girl, she was an oldie and had mammary tumours, she hated the scooter going slow but at first she wasn't fit enough to go out of a walk. Once she became fitter she couldn't wait to go with the scooter, she loved it.

Jethro is a Saluki Lurcher who had sight problems, he was bored stiff being walked but put him with the scooter he came alive and loved it.

Don't rule out an adult dog because you use a scooter, I know a lot that have adapted really well, not just the dogs that I have had, not one hasn't loved it.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-01-2014, 05:07 PM
Mattie, it is not just the scooter but the fact that I am a permanent wheelchair user - and the rare times I am on my feet indoors I am propped on crutches and have had more than enough crashing falls as it is, fracturing cheekbones, eye sockets and my skull.

I had another dog, my Little One, when I adopted Pereg, who was so easy-going and adaptable, and an older dog would not have been suitable for either her or for me. As it is Pereg is the last dog who will ever share my life - assuming I do not pre-decease her - as I am far too old and now far too incapable of ever looking after another dog.

Pereg and I put up with each other. She puts up with my very limited mobility and I somehow cope with her epilepsy. I guess we are ideally suited in that respect!
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-01-2014, 07:53 PM
At the moment I am on crutches so understand what you mean, Cyril has a habit of racing past me which doesn't help. Last time I was like this I had my Greyhound, when I got wobbly and was in danger of falling he would step up to me and supported me until I got my balance back. He saved me from quite a few falls.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2014, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by bint View Post
One visit to Blue Cross in Banbury then a home visit & he was home with us. He was one of the few dogs that was available and suitable for a family with young children when we visited so we didn't really have a choice. Kevin (we didn't name him lol) was around a year old when we got him and he lived until he was 15. Fantastic family dog!
We spent a year looking for our last dog and eventually ended up with the 3yr old litter brother of our other dog. He was up for rehoming & we were contacted by the breeder. Still causing chaos nearly 6yrs on
Aww that's a lovely story! And I love his name - Kevin!
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3