View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 08:27 AM
Can you imagine Crufts or LKA without benching.... it would be utter chaos!
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-08-2007, 08:31 AM
There's no doubt that the benching needs revamping, but it's a good idea. Not only is it easier for people to find someone and gives exhibitors somewhere to put all their stuff, but it keeps all breeds in one place and keeps many dogs safe who's owners don't take crates, allowing them to have a snooze while waiting. Mine are always crated at shows, benched or not. Pedigree has nothing to do with the benching though - just the bench numbers.

Debs
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 08:37 AM
I think the mention of benching was to highlight ways in which show societies could cut down on costs... and I think our outdoor shows could well manage without it, but certainly not those in crowded indoor venues.

But taking up Deccy's point about the crippling costs of benching.... I don't know that any of our UK societies are in such dire straights that the pulling of Pedigree's sponsorship is going to affect them so much that entry fees will have to be raised?
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 08:39 AM
the point I made about benching is that it is a major part of the cost of running a show and since we don't have it in Ireland (where, admitedly, we have much smaller numbers entering) it is easy to see how this is reflected in the entry fees. Incidentally, I think that for UK shows it should not be compulsory so the smaller shows especially breed club shows where numbers are possibly manageable without it, can have the option.
We have major petfood sponsorship, off the top of my head it includes Arden Grange, Red Mills and Royal Canin (apologies to any I have missed) and Irish Canine Press (part of Dog World) sponsors the top dog ongoing competition all year. However, with lower costs, the level of sponsorship required is also less so it makes it affordable more easily, to a greater range of companies.
Incidentally, Pedigree don't do it for the love of it. It comes out of the marketing/promotions budget which although tax deductable must justify itself in sustaining market share or profit, and if it doesn't, the institutional shareholders will demand that it is dropped. Put simply, if you walk around with the Pedigree name on your ring card, free bag or whatever, you become a walking advertisement and their idea is that people looking at this constantly will go and buy their products.......
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-08-2007, 09:07 AM
[QUOTE=Deccy;1083766]the point I made about benching is that it is a major part of the cost of running a show and since we don't have it in Ireland (where, admitedly, we have much smaller numbers entering) it is easy to see how this is reflected in the entry fees. Incidentally, I think that for UK shows it should not be compulsory so the smaller shows especially breed club shows where numbers are possibly manageable without it, can have the option.
We have major petfood sponsorship, off the top of my head it includes Arden Grange, Red Mills and Royal Canin (apologies to any I have missed) and Irish Canine Press (part of Dog World) sponsors the top dog ongoing competition all year. However, with lower costs, the level of sponsorship required is also less so it makes it affordable more easily, to a greater range of companies.
Incidentally, Pedigree don't do it for the love of it. It comes out of the marketing/promotions budget which although tax deductable must justify itself in sustaining market share or profit, and if it doesn't, the institutional shareholders will demand that it is dropped. Put simply, if you walk around with the Pedigree name on your ring card, free bag or whatever, you become a walking advertisement and their idea is that people looking at this constantly will go and buy their products.......[/QUOTE]

Well of course! - but the point I made earlier (although I would imagine this is not the case) is that if Mars pulls it's sponsorship and not just Pedigree then companies like Royal Canin will not be sponsoring anything either.

Whatever happens there's going to have to be some major financial upheavals for general Ch show committees to deal with.

Debs
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 09:10 AM
We'll just have to wait and see I suppose!
Becky
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 11:00 AM
From the wording of the KC's announcement, it seems that only Pedigree's sponsorship will be affected (so far).

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/1333/23/5/3
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Arden Grange sponsors the Sled Dog racing (I think I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) y
I've never been to an event sponsored by them but there are often sponsors I remember freebies from BURGESS sponsoring and FISH 4 DOGS at another I think they all sponsor different evenets maybe Arden Grange sponsor in your area
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 11:13 AM
Oh I'm pretty certain I read it somewhere! Ah well, addled brain
Becky
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 01:29 PM
Arden Grange are one of the sponsors at some of the GSD championship shows.Mind you they don't need to worry about ring & bench numbers as most are exempt from benching & have the bib numbers like the horse jumpers wear or the armbands which are permanent & don't have to be produced new for every show.
Must admit it would be nice to have a super prize card from a championshipshow rather than an advert for pedigree.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >