Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2016, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by NickyAnn View Post
States can make their own laws here for certain things, so your belief that only 9 states uphold a federal law makes no sense. There is no ban on tail docking here.

As for GSP's being the best hunter, sure this is opinion, but we have crossbreeds here of GSP's and English pointers and they are the deaf to calls, a GSP never has to be called, as it will follow or stay within sight distance of the handler, which coincidentally is also shooting distance in the bush. Foxhounds and English pointers are useless for hunting in this regard because they are ALWAYS 1 to 5 miles ahead of the hunter, who can not shoot anything that far off.
Over here, my experience is that working GSPs are always called with a whistle (either nature's whistle via appropriate front teeth, or a physical whistle) - when I said "call" I should have said that.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2016, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by Norma808 View Post
Nicky Ann
Never heard someone spout soo much bull sh@t as you do
You obviously hove no concept of the role HPR's work
Of course as you work YOUR pointers in a 5 mile radius (you've quoted this several times ) how the heck would you know what you're dog was up too do you have x Ray vision oh forgot you just shock them
Get your facts correct before opening ones gob on subject you obviously know nothing about
How can you control your dog over such a distance?? In this country, working GSPs are never allowed to go any distance from their handler. I love to watch them working, controlled with a whistle, they really are magnificent dogs but have a huge prey drive. My Lizzie would have killed anything - a cat, a small dog, anything - to allow her to huntaway out of my sight would have been totally unthinkable!

I find it hard that even in America where they had vast open spaces with no human habitation nearby it can be legal to allow your dog to huntaway over such distances, out of sight and any form of control.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2016, 01:00 PM
O my good God! Just found the following:-

"The English Foxhound is an athletic hunting dog. The skull is wide and the muzzle is long. The nose is about 4 inches long (10 cm) with wide-open nostrils. The teeth should meet in a scissors bite. The hanging ears are set low, lying flat to the head. Some choose to "round" the ears, which means about 1 1/2 inches are cut off of the end of the ear. The large eyes are brown. "

I never knew that - it is truly disgusting. Whereas that is a totally different procedure to a full ear crop, nonetheless it is cruel, unnecessary and disgusting. I haven't been able to establish whether this is still allowed in the UK as they website I took the above from is quite old.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2016, 01:16 PM
I am intrigued by the remark about cropping Foxhounds ears. The ears of a scenthound have evolved as large and drooping because when the hound is on track, this shape traps the scent, (like a pair of curtains), and funnels it towards the nose. I have never heard of cropping a hounds ears, and cannot see what purpose it could possibly serve.
Could Nicky Ann please provide a reference for this comment?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2016, 01:17 PM
You'd be very, very hard pressed to find a vet who would crop ears in the UK today except for medical reasons
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2016, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
You'd be very, very hard pressed to find a vet who would crop ears in the UK today except for medical reasons
Thank God!!

Clearly we are far more civilised in our poor little 3rd world country Chris than peeps in the States!!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-07-2016, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
O my good God! Just found the following:-

"The English Foxhound is an athletic hunting dog. The skull is wide and the muzzle is long. The nose is about 4 inches long (10 cm) with wide-open nostrils. The teeth should meet in a scissors bite. The hanging ears are set low, lying flat to the head. Some choose to "round" the ears, which means about 1 1/2 inches are cut off of the end of the ear. The large eyes are brown. "

I never knew that - it is truly disgusting. Whereas that is a totally different procedure to a full ear crop, nonetheless it is cruel, unnecessary and disgusting. I haven't been able to establish whether this is still allowed in the UK as they website I took the above from is quite old.
Where did you find that Nikki, never heard of anyone cropping and part of the ear of a foxhound, surely it would just defeat the object of the hound .
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-07-2016, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by NickyAnn View Post

As for GSP's being the best hunter, sure this is opinion, but we have crossbreeds here of GSP's and English pointers and they are the deaf to calls, a GSP never has to be called, as it will follow or stay within sight distance of the handler, which coincidentally is also shooting distance in the bush. Foxhounds and English pointers are useless for hunting in this regard because they are ALWAYS 1 to 5 miles ahead of the hunter, who can not shoot anything that far off.
You really need to research the origins of the breeds you refer to, the GSP is a member of the HPR group , which means it was bred to be efficient in all 3 jobs, hunt , point and retrieve , so comparing it to the foxhound or English pointer is like chalk to cheese, th foxhound is bred to go on the scent of a fox and kill it, the English pointer ( clue in the name) is bred to point out game, not to flush or retrieve,

You don't do yourself any favours when you spout such bullsh*t, engage your brain before you open your mouth, but that might just be to hard a task for you !!!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2016, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
Where did you find that Nikki, never heard of anyone cropping and part of the ear of a foxhound, u

Isurely it would just defeat the object of the hound .
It's horrible isn't it ... I will look it out
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2016, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
Where did you find that Nikki, never heard of anyone cropping and part of the ear of a foxhound, surely it would just defeat the object of the hound .
Nextranks.com is the name of the website Jackie. I am just wondering though whether this is an American website. I come from a family who have of hunted for centuries and I've never heard of such a thing in the uk.
Page 35 of 57 « First < 25 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 45 > Last »