View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tish's mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-01-2009, 05:02 PM

How can i stop my dog barking at herself?

Hello all.

This may be an amusing post to some of you, it was amusing to me at first but now it's really annoying me. I have a high gloss tv bench which is very shiny. Well Tish has suddenly just noticed herself in it. She barks and barks and barks, all day long...stopping for say an hour for a sleep and then starts barking again.
Sometimes i think she forgets and walks past, but then she will spy herself and her fur will go up and she growls and barks at her own reflection!
I suppose it can be funny to a certain degree but it is becoming rather deafening and annoying, especially at night time when the kids are asleep and we are trying to watch tv.
Does she honestly think there is another animal in the tv bench? Will she get over it and stop this nonsense?
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2009, 05:09 PM
I think there are two routes you can go down here:
do something about the bench (like get a different one or put a throw over it) or use distraction.

Whenever she goes to bark at the reflection try distracting her with either a favourite toy or some favourites food. Then when you have her attention do something fun with her, like a little bit of training or play a game. She could be doing it because she's bored.

On the other hand she could be doing it for attention. What do you do when she starts barking?

HTH x
Tish's mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-01-2009, 05:12 PM
Oh i couldn't replace it, i love it and it cost me £200. I like the idea of putting a throw over it though. Well when she starts barking i try to distract her but that doesn't last very long, she does it to the fire too cos she can see herself in it.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2009, 05:14 PM
What do you distract her with? Is it in a positive way?

You could try removing her from the room every time she starts barking. Then when she's stopped let her back in. A bit 'Victoria Stillwell' I know, but worth a try
Tish's mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-01-2009, 05:16 PM
Hehe yeah cheers sarah. Usually with one of her toys.