View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2013, 09:39 PM
Sorry to hear that Nicola I do hope it doesn't need surgery.

Zymi has just been diagnosed with HD and arthritic changes so we are trying to find medication and he is also going on a diet. I was stunned to discover he weighed the same as Cava!!!

Give Molly a hug from me
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-01-2013, 10:13 PM
My dog had cruciate surgery which was successful unfortunately now her patella is luxating I have just ordered her a crutiate brace to help support her knee maybe this maybe a option for your little one if crutiate is diagnosed but surgery not needed good luck for tommorrow
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2013, 09:02 AM
Good luck today and I hope the x-rays show it to be something more simple and easily fixable.
Poor molly its no fun for them I know from when my Shady had her cruciate problems and from Kyiro now going 9 weeks with no exercise and just laying indoors.
I was lucky though as I never had to reduce any food for either of my dogs. I kept an eye on their weight but they never put on an ounce. I think the stress mentally kept their weight down and in fact Shady had more food in various ways to keep her occupied and Kyiro has too.
I would play it by ear with the food and personally wouldn't cut it as drastically as that unless you know she is prone to put on weight at the drop of a hat.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2013, 09:51 AM
Good luck today.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2013, 11:33 AM
To phone the vets at 2 and see how she is and have an appointment at 4.15 to talk to the vet and then to bring her home.

Bev, she puts on weight on very easily if I'm not careful and going from near on 2 hours walks per day to nothing, I had to cut it down otherwise she'll probably end up quite overweight which obviously won't do her joints any good. If I feel she needs more, then I'll give her more but I'm going to have to be extrememly cautious with feeding.

I'm going to get a variety of different chews, Kongs etc to try and keep her amused as well.

Thanks for the best wishes, all.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2013, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by cava14una View Post
Sorry to hear that Nicola I do hope it doesn't need surgery.

Zymi has just been diagnosed with HD and arthritic changes so we are trying to find medication and he is also going on a diet. I was stunned to discover he weighed the same as Cava!!!

Give Molly a hug from me
Oh, I didn't know that about Zymi, Anne. Can't believe he's overweight though.....everytime I've seen him he has been fine!

Hope you manage to find something to keep him comfortable.

God knows what these xrays will show. Her knee - at least I think it's her knee - sounds like it's clicking very easily when you move it.
Mazza
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-01-2013, 12:47 PM
Fingers crossed here for Molly today
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2013, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
To phone the vets at 2 and see how she is and have an appointment at 4.15 to talk to the vet and then to bring her home.

Bev, she puts on weight on very easily if I'm not careful and going from near on 2 hours walks per day to nothing, I had to cut it down otherwise she'll probably end up quite overweight which obviously won't do her joints any good. If I feel she needs more, then I'll give her more but I'm going to have to be extrememly cautious with feeding.

I'm going to get a variety of different chews, Kongs etc to try and keep her amused as well.

Thanks for the best wishes, all.
That makes it much harder on them and you when they put on weight easily. I've been really lucky with all my dogs as I have never had to alter feeding after spaying or nuetering or when they are on rest. If I had have done they would have ender up too skinny and bony.
I hope you didn't mind me saying about it as obviously I know you know your dog best, its just not all dogs pile on weight and sometimes vets will immeadietly say cut down food with any of the above and get them on a light diet and owners will sometimes do it thinking its the right thing, yet thier dog is not prone to putting on weight and loses too much Obviously molly is not one of those and you are going to have to watch her food intake.
I've still got everything crossed the outcome is going to be better than first thought and I will be on here looking to see what the vet has found as soon as I get in from work this evening.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2013, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
That makes it much harder on them and you when they put on weight easily. I've been really lucky with all my dogs as I have never had to alter feeding after spaying or nuetering or when they are on rest. If I had have done they would have ender up too skinny and bony.
I hope you didn't mind me saying about it as obviously I know you know your dog best, its just not all dogs pile on weight and sometimes vets will immeadietly say cut down food with any of the above and get them on a light diet and owners will sometimes do it thinking its the right thing, yet thier dog is not prone to putting on weight and loses too much Obviously molly is not one of those and you are going to have to watch her food intake.
I've still got everything crossed the outcome is going to be better than first thought and I will be on here looking to see what the vet has found as soon as I get in from work this evening.
Don't mind you talking about it at all, Bev. Reading abot diffrent experiences with long term rest etc certainly helps.

The vet hasn't mentioned anything to me about reducing her diet. Indeed, they haven't suggested any form of diet change to me for my dogs for many years now. No need to. I'm sure they have to with some folk though, for the benefit of the animal and would understand if they did mention it though.

Last year when Roxy had her op and was rested for about a month, I didn't reduce her food as much at all as I didn't think I would need to. I changed her diet slightly to more moist feeding, but apart from that, I didn't change a lot else, quantity wise.

She's not like Molly, she doesn't put on weight easily, but will lose weight and condition easily if I reduce food- two different dogs in that respect. Even though they are almost the same weight (Roxy is the slightly lighter one), Roxy gets double the food amount compared to Molly, always has done.

I just know Molly will put on weight and quickly if I'm not careful these next couple of months.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-01-2013, 02:11 PM
my boy has been on 10mins lead exercise for months now and i swopped him for a lighter food from the same brand (from barking heads fusspot to fat dog slim) i had reduced his fusspot to 100gms twice a day but as the fat dog slim has half the fat he can have a bit more and still feel full where as with reducing the fusspot he had started to counter surf while we were out and empty the bin
Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »