Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by DippyLeo View Post
My boy is 8yrs old (old for a Leo these days ) and he only has to lay in the shade and he is so exhausted, we have to have fans on throughout the house and at night (even in the winter) we have a fan on and a window open to help him breath easier
Oh bless him...and Leos coats are so thick too aren't they? I was saying to my OH last night that is how Biff will end up...in a room with fans directed on him to try to keep him cool. Thing is, if he stays still too long he then gets really sore...he is in a no win situation I think. Hugs for you and your boy, it really is pants isn't it?
Originally Posted by Berger View Post
Poor old Biff Ailsa I am so so sorry. You will definitely know when the time is right. Big hugs to all of you. It must be so rough. It is the worst about loving dogs so much xx
It is...the absolute worst.
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Oh Ailsa, I have just caught up with your news. I am so sorry. Such a heartwrenching time Please accept a hug.
Thanks Kirsty, the hug is very gratefully accepted. It is heart wrenching and I can't stand the thought of the old boy not being here...but I am now realising that he may not be here sooner than I had thought, bless him.
I just can't risk him going in a horrid way
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 12:43 PM
I just wanted to give you a hug, Ailsa. It is awful when something like this happens, I know.
xxx
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I just wanted to give you a hug, Ailsa. It is awful when something like this happens, I know.
xxx
Thanks LS. It's daft, given his age and condition, but it's a bit of a shock really. I think you do start to persuade yourself that they will go on forever.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Dawn he hadn't gone out, he was in the hall on his bed the whole time we were out with the other two...when we came in, he didn't even get up. He doesn't go out...ever. The only time he goes out is when we go to the vet. It is on vets advice that he doesn't go out.

Having re read my post, it did read like we may have taken him out..but we hadn't.
Ill not post on this again, sorry.
DippyLeo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 04:08 PM
It sure is pants Ramble, have you tried getting a light towel, soaking it with cold water and laying it over Biff to keep his temp down so he's not panting so much and straining his Larynx? I do this for my boy as he hates being sprayed with the Hose pipe these days and it does help, as for the pressure points for laying too long, have you thought about an orthapaedic bed/cushion for him, try your local chemist/Age Concern shop they may have the ones that go in wheel chairs and chairs, do you know which I mean? .... the blue ones they use for the disabled and elderly like the orthapeadic matresses hospitals use, there are orthapaedic dog beds but the pet shops know how to charge for those (but if your like me so long as my boy's comfy and pain free I'll pay the earth to see he's happy)

Big Hugs to you both and your family
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 05:34 PM
Sorry I have only just caught this thread.

Just wanted to send gentle hugs to you all xx
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 06:29 PM
With regard to the health of mine when they had tie back surgery three were in good health but the fourth was far from the healthiest dog I have every had. She had major surgery on her back to remove a disc at 3 years old and after that was never able to be walked on a lead but could do her own thing round our paddock. She was also hypothyroid and suffered from inflamatory bowel disease. She also had corneal ulcers and lost an eye when the cornea ruptured and then had to have a patch on her remaining eye to stop the ulcers on that one. They had problems bringing her round from the op and three months later she was diagnosed with heart problems and died a year after the op of heart failure but up until the few days before I had to have her put to sleep she was living her life as normal for her.

So from the above you will see she was a walking vet bill

You will have to do what you think is best for Biff.

Sue
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2009, 05:54 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Ill not post on this again, sorry.
Why? Dawn don't go....
Originally Posted by DippyLeo View Post
It sure is pants Ramble, have you tried getting a light towel, soaking it with cold water and laying it over Biff to keep his temp down so he's not panting so much and straining his Larynx? I do this for my boy as he hates being sprayed with the Hose pipe these days and it does help, as for the pressure points for laying too long, have you thought about an orthapaedic bed/cushion for him, try your local chemist/Age Concern shop they may have the ones that go in wheel chairs and chairs, do you know which I mean? .... the blue ones they use for the disabled and elderly like the orthapeadic matresses hospitals use, there are orthapaedic dog beds but the pet shops know how to charge for those (but if your like me so long as my boy's comfy and pain free I'll pay the earth to see he's happy)

Big Hugs to you both and your family
I haven't tried the water thing no...but I will now. Thank you.
He sleeps on a king size duvet that is folded into quarters, he sort of sinks into it! I asked th evt if that was okay (as I was worried about his joints not being supported) and she siad it was the best thing for him. He certainly seems to like it,given you can't get him off it...but the ortho bed sounds good... too. I may have a look.

Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Sorry I have only just caught this thread.

Just wanted to send gentle hugs to you all xx
Thanks Sal.

Originally Posted by Sue L View Post
With regard to the health of mine when they had tie back surgery three were in good health but the fourth was far from the healthiest dog I have every had. She had major surgery on her back to remove a disc at 3 years old and after that was never able to be walked on a lead but could do her own thing round our paddock. She was also hypothyroid and suffered from inflamatory bowel disease. She also had corneal ulcers and lost an eye when the cornea ruptured and then had to have a patch on her remaining eye to stop the ulcers on that one. They had problems bringing her round from the op and three months later she was diagnosed with heart problems and died a year after the op of heart failure but up until the few days before I had to have her put to sleep she was living her life as normal for her.

So from the above you will see she was a walking vet bill

You will have to do what you think is best for Biff.

Sue
Thanks Sue. Your dog sounds like Biff...a walking vet bill, although he has only been that for the last 2 years or so.
I have to say, reading about your dog has helped though, thankyou. My gut reaction was always that surgery would be far too much for Biff to cope with and I still think it would be (as does the vet).He is a few weeks short of 13 and an old dog with a job load of health problems (more than your vet bill dog) so I think it is a non decision.

We shall see how the tablets go.
He was sick last night. He won't have his painkiller today then.... This is what I mean about a balancing act.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2009, 06:28 AM
So sorry A. Big hugs xx
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-06-2009, 06:35 AM
Hope Biff has a better day today xx
Page 7 of 13 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »