Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2009, 08:36 AM

Oldie Dog

Just wondering if it is normal for oldies to sleep more, I am hoping to get some advice on what to expect with him, he seems to sleep more these days, he use to love car drives and go silly, he now sits there are looks interested but not like he use to, he has decreased vision. When we go for walks he loves to sniff and just wander he will go for little runs but not so much (he has never chased balls or anything), having Louis around seems to give him comfort without him he gets more unsure (I am guessing as he cant hear or see long distances, Louis is kind of the look out?)
Just want to make sure this is normal and any thing else I may expect.
I am pretty sure he isn't in any pain, he just won't tell me (wish they could talk) he sleeps well, he jumps awake sometimes but if I pat his head if I am near him he lays back down and seems relaxed. We make sure he knows when we go out as we have gone out the front without him seeing and he sits in the middle of the lounge room and does this bark which I can now tell is his 'where are you bark' and if I popped my head back in and he sees me he stops.
Is there anything else I should be doing or expect, I know all dogs are different but some direction would be nice or what others have experienced.
Thanks sorry for the long post
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2009, 08:50 AM
Yes, Emma, it's totally normal.

*hugs*

x0x
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2009, 09:00 AM
It all sounds very normal to how my first jack was when she got old. You don't say how old your dog is, but when mine was getting up there in years - about sixteen and a half, she used to stare in the corner for ages, as if she was hypnotised. The vet told me it was the start of being senile. My old girl lived to eighteen, to give you some idea of time span. She had slowed down from about fourteen and did the things you mentioned, slept more, wasn't so fussed to do the things she loved, or to do them quite as long.
She was still happy though, just not as active. I bit like I expect we'll be when we get older
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2009, 09:11 AM
I have had him going on nine years and the vet said he was between 18mths and 4yrs so I guess he is 10 and a half to 13yrs my vets that I go to now are thinking he is more on the 13 side than the 10 side
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2009, 09:16 AM
Roxy went a tad senile, and the drugs to assist did nothing, so we stopped them. She used to stare into space too.
Bless - I do miss her so......

Emma - your oldie could poodle along for a few years yet - it'll just be at a more sedate pace!

x0x
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2009, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Roxy went a tad senile, and the drugs to assist did nothing, so we stopped them. She used to stare into space too.
Bless - I do miss her so......

Emma - your oldie could poodle along for a few years yet - it'll just be at a more sedate pace!

x0x
RIP Roxy
I hope he does with all he went through this year, I felt lucky to have had him around another Christmas. He still seems like my old man but he is just more sleepy and slower and things aren't as exciting to him except food and he does surprise me from time to time doing something he hasn't done for a while, the other day he stood on his hind legs and begged with his front paws (nothing I trained him to do, just something he always did)
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2009, 09:27 AM
*hugs* Emma. That all sounds normal and familiar. If one year of ours does equal seven dog ones and he is thirteen, then he's our equivalent of ninety one. I don't suppose at ninety one, we'll be in the running for any Olympic sports. A nice cuppa and a chelsea bun, yes
Enjoy him still hon, just a quieter him. He sounds perfectly ok
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2009, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by MissE View Post
I agree.....My old man went the same x
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2009, 10:05 AM
most dogs that i've known of that age act as dignified as scratch. it's just my silly old dylan that still acts like a big loon. honestly, he's like one of those old men that wear jeans and baseball caps!!
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2009, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by MissE View Post
*hugs* Emma. That all sounds normal and familiar. If one year of ours does equal seven dog ones and he is thirteen, then he's our equivalent of ninety one. I don't suppose at ninety one, we'll be in the running for any Olympic sports. A nice cuppa and a chelsea bun, yes
that did make me giggle Scratch with a cuppa and a chelsea bun. I guess because he has always been tenacious and thinking he is 10ft tall and bulletproof it is just not sad but a change where you can see him slowing down and not sure if there is anything wrong or if it is just age catching up with him (if I thought for two secs anything was wrong the vet would be getting a visit from us, he had a check up recently his liver enzymes are up but low compared to the time before)
91yrs is pretty good really, it just never seems long enough though for him to be that old
He is a picture of my old man Scratch
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >