View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-12-2009, 08:29 AM

Late night vet trip, strange symptoms... any ideas?!

I had to take Sika to the vet last night at 10pm. She was shaking, felt quite hot, seemed to be drooling (wet around her mouth), lethargic but restless at the same time, not eating much and very sore somewhere around her ears/jaw. She was whining when I touched the back of her ears or tried to open her mouth. The vet thought it was the 'hinge' of her jaw that was sore but had no idea what was wrong with her! She had an anti-inflammatory and painkiller last night. She actually seems a lot better this morning, she's eaten, the shaking has stopped, I just took a piece of wood she'd nicked out of her mouth and it didn't hurt her (and she's chasing th cat!). Can anyone think what the problem is/was? The vet and I am bamboozled, I'm to phone today for another appointment for her, they think she may need x-rays. The fact she seems better is great but it may be down to the drugs she had last night too. Help!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2009, 10:00 AM
No idea but best wishes for her recovery.
Might she have licked or picked something up?
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2009, 10:09 AM
could she have an abcess in the back of her mouth or on the back molar? that could affect her jaw, ears etc as the nerves run along that area.
Fluffypup
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-12-2009, 10:21 AM
Poisoning of some kind? Has she eaten any chocolate?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2009, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by peedie View Post
I had to take Sika to the vet last night at 10pm. She was shaking, felt quite hot, seemed to be drooling (wet around her mouth), lethargic but restless at the same time, not eating much and very sore somewhere around her ears/jaw. She was whining when I touched the back of her ears or tried to open her mouth. The vet thought it was the 'hinge' of her jaw that was sore but had no idea what was wrong with her! She had an anti-inflammatory and painkiller last night. She actually seems a lot better this morning, she's eaten, the shaking has stopped, I just took a piece of wood she'd nicked out of her mouth and it didn't hurt her (and she's chasing th cat!). Can anyone think what the problem is/was? The vet and I am bamboozled, I'm to phone today for another appointment for her, they think she may need x-rays. The fact she seems better is great but it may be down to the drugs she had last night too. Help!
Just wondered whether this is a frequent thing with her (pinching/chewing wood) and if so whether there is any chance that she has a splinter lodged somewhere right at the back of her throat?

Did the vet check her ears for infection?

Glad to hear that the anti-immflatory has helped and hope she is soon completely back to normal.
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-12-2009, 01:14 PM
Hi, yes the vet checked her throat and her ears. She does nick wood on a regular basis and I told him that but he couldn't see anything. If she gets wood or something she shouldn't have it's usually taken away really quickly. No she hasn't eaten anything that she shouldn't have, as far as I'm aware... the vet checked her teeth too! She's currently tucking into her lunch so fingers crossed it's just been 'one of those things'! Thanks all