View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 07:30 AM
A great way to calm a dog is to train it. Scarter, have you tried asking your dog to use his brain? Even very simple commands like distance sit, for example is taught in a structured way that helps the dog control himself and the owner learn to clarify their signals. I don`t mean in a class- that`s a rather stressy situation - but when out on walks I spend a few minutes running over basics with my dogs. Even my Hound enjoys this attention, and it certainly helps them to focus.
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-10-2009, 09:00 AM
Sure, all the time. We do loads of tricks, games etc on walks.

Here's a clip with our youngest. The meadow is full of other dogs, scents, rabbits etc. Without the tricks he'd be a dot on the horizon.

http://www.vimeo.com/5896042

We also do little hwtm routines and stuff - anything to keep the dogs focused on us instead of hunting rabbits. This clip is in the garden but she'll do that equally well in most places:

http://www.vimeo.com/5822669

It was actually when we were training in the park (doing this kind of thing) that she was getting pissed off with other dogs for intruding.

Also I think you can train a dog too much and cause stress that way. It's balancing act.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by cordie View Post
I was at the dogs trust annual dog show in leeds last year, dudley who was sociable, was approached by a whippet on lead, dudley wagged his tail, the whippet lunged forwards and bit him on the foreleg!! dudley screamed in pain, the owner a middle aged lady bent down. pulled out a muzzle from her bag, and said to the dog "right if youre gonna be naughty again, youre gonna wear this" put it on totally ignoring us and walked off!! i was so shocked i was struck dumb for a second , and she was off before i come to my senses , luckily, a vetinary nurse who observed the attack,looked at and cleaned the wound, (a hole from an inscisor tooth ). After a couple more attacks like that instance, dudley is no longer sociable, he observes possible attackers intently, and is poised to lunge at any sign of a dog getting aggressive with him, i think its a great shame he has lost his friendliness, all because of bad owners not being in control or recognising their inability to train their dog.
Oh that is a shame; poor lad.
Easy to become defensive as a dog if you keep getting targetted.

Wys
x
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 09:59 AM
Max is very quick to get on the defensive with other dogs. I think this is partly from the fact that as a Boxer, he is often misread by other dogs (in terms of expression and body language) and the fact that he is very possessive over me and Murphy (but not my OH).

He is very good at giving warning growls, and I've never told him off for it. However, I'm sure that his growl is the 'last' warning signal, and the others I've not been able to see (e.g. too subtle for a human).

If he goes stiff, growls etc, I tend to remove him from the situation. This means turning him round, asking for a sit/paw/trick, or doing a 'watch' command.

Once he is distracted, he will let the other dog pass him without a murmur.

Interestly enough, at training class, as long as another dog doesn't get too close to his 'comfort' zone, he is happy enough. We do off-lead recalls from groups of dogs, all of whom he will ignore, and is happy to take part in training exercises etc around multiple dogs, most of whom he doesn't like.
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Max is very quick to get on the defensive with other dogs. I think this is partly from the fact that as a Boxer, he is often misread by other dogs (in terms of expression and body language) and the fact that he is very possessive over me and Murphy (but not my OH).

He is very good at giving warning growls, and I've never told him off for it. However, I'm sure that his growl is the 'last' warning signal, and the others I've not been able to see (e.g. too subtle for a human).

If he goes stiff, growls etc, I tend to remove him from the situation. This means turning him round, asking for a sit/paw/trick, or doing a 'watch' command.

Once he is distracted, he will let the other dog pass him without a murmur.

Interestly enough, at training class, as long as another dog doesn't get too close to his 'comfort' zone, he is happy enough. We do off-lead recalls from groups of dogs, all of whom he will ignore, and is happy to take part in training exercises etc around multiple dogs, most of whom he doesn't like.
By nature (if you know what I mean) our dog is great with all dogs in all situations. But when we had this little problem with her we found the same things as you - if the dogs were under control she was 100% fine with them. She was happy in all sorts of training classes and would happily go for a walk with any dog. She just got funny about out of control off-lead dogs (on very rare occasions).
GroomerHeidi
New Member!
Female 

16-01-2013, 02:32 PM
I just wanted to post a quick reply about nice, normal, well-behaved dogs attacking the weak or ill.

I have 9 adopted dogs, I've worked with shelters most of my life, foster dogs, and I'm a groomer. Because I have more than just 2 or 3 dogs, they do revert to a pack mentality with several things, and one is definitely the injured or weak dog situation. We have 7 larger dogs and 2 doxies. We've had a few vet bills because they all get excited when we come home, or playing outside, and accidentally step on one of the small babies. This will cause them to yelp, then the pack mode goes into force and they attack the little one. If you speak with vets that live in rural communities or farming communities where it is common to have alot of dogs, they will tell you they often see this type of behavior. My dogs are all trained, well behaved, loved, and very well socialized.

Just wanted to chime in

Heidi
redowl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-01-2013, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by scarter View Post
I made a comment on another thread that nice, stable, well behaved dogs will attack an unstable or weak dog. A couple of people challenged this as that they thought this wouldn't happen..
I haven't ever witnessed nice stable dogs attacking unstable weak dogs but have witnessed unstable dogs attack unstable weak dogs.
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-01-2013, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
A GSD bitch I fostered once headed purposefully towards another when out on a walk who started to limp. It was pretty obvious she was going to put him out of his misery. There was no animosity, and when he`d had a rest and stopped limping she ignored him. She was not a vicious dog. She was trying to help the progress of the pack by eliminating a problem. In the same way a whelping bitch will kill puppies who aren`t `right` or if threatened. It may not be `nice` but it`s natural.
The question is meaningless IMO.
A friend of mine had 3 bitches and a dog, all entire. When the really old bitch came into season she was kept away form the rest, upstairs. When season finished she was reunited with the rest of the dogs who promptly attacked so severely she had to be put to sleep (had the owner not interfered they would have finished what they started). No emotion shown by the attackers, it was a simple elimination - as you put it.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-01-2013, 08:14 PM
Thank you for posting such a detailed topic.

I have a 2 year old boxer/staffie cross, we took him from a rescue centre around 11 months ago. At first he was fine with other dogs, seeking them out to play with; once or twice the dogs he played with got too rough and one he ended up in a punch-up. Since then he has had many "out of the blue" attacks and we now muzzle him whenever he is off-lead and tend to walk in places where there are no dogs. He doesn't growl, snarl or show his teeth prior to attack he just leaps/jumps on his victim. With the help of a behaviorist I was able to identify the way he makes eye contact with other dogs and occasionally I notice some change in his breathing and/or body stiffening.

Of all the things that disturbed me the most was that his victims were often older arthritic dogs, and/or younger very submissive dogs. To my human eyes he seemed like a bully but who can possibly understand his rationale.

Dogs - we have to love them

My observation is that weak and unstable dogs are victims of far more unprovoked attacks than confident, stable dogs.[/QUOTE]
-up
JPowell
New Member!
Female 

30-06-2017, 01:02 AM
I was looking for answers online when I came across this. I have 3 dogs who have gotten along great until this evening. One of the dogs escaped the fence earlier today and came walking up a little while ago looking disheveled. He was taken inside and given his blanket and food and water. Eventually he was walking around wagging his tail so he seemed fine. I put him back in the fence after my husband had fixed his escape route and the other two dogs immediately pounced on him before I could even lock the gate. I scooped him out and they listened, thank goodness when I raised my voice to them, but this has never happened with them and I was trying to figure out why. My initial thoughts were maybe they smelled some other dog on him or something. But after reading it is also possible that it was his demeanor. He seems a bit depressed so he's inside now getting a bath and going to bed for the evening. Hoping this is temporary!
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6