Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
fimberly
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-05-2009, 02:49 PM

Advice for disgusting dog teeth

I have been fostering a pomeranian for a cople of weeks now that had severe agression problems (owner caused). He is coming along very nicely now but the next problem to address are his teeth.
They are so brown and disgusting, and he seems to have a buildup of plaque or similar brown stuff at the base of the tooth.
None of the teeth are wobbly yet, but I guess that they will become that way very soon.

He is 4 years old so pretty young still.

Also, he is very on a very high quality dry food (never had wet) and has an underbite.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks guys
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2009, 02:54 PM
Really you need to book him into the vets and get his teeth properly cleaned to remove the hardened tartar and make sure there are no problems underneath it all.
Then you can look after them after that by brushing .
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-05-2009, 02:58 PM
Hi Kimberly At four years old your dog is going to need his teeth for a long time .
If the teeth are really bad I would start from scratch by having them cleaned by the vet, once all the build up of plaque is removed you can then brush them regularly yourself/maybe use Logic gel and give carrots and chews to help keep them clean.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2009, 03:01 PM
I have heard that fragaria is very good,

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.a...720&pf_id=4220

Mo
fimberly
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-05-2009, 03:21 PM
He is not my dog (just fostering him).
The rescue organisation was told that his teeth were professionally cleaned a year ago. Local vet has seen him and implied that getting teeth cleaned too often was not good for dog.

Any opinions on that too?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-05-2009, 04:10 PM
Raw chicken wings and carrots are excellent teeth cleaners. I have never had to have my dogs' teeth cleaned so I don't know about how often.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2009, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Raw chicken wings and carrots are excellent teeth cleaners. I have never had to have my dogs' teeth cleaned so I don't know about how often.
as above - we use raw chicken wings. (one a day)
My old GSP had bad plaque when I got him but a good diet and chicken wings solved the problem.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-05-2009, 04:49 PM
Kali's and Snorri's teeth never got that bad, but we used to get down on the floor (close up and personal!) with them with toothbrush and Logic or Virbac. When I got too decrepit for floor-crawling, they started to get Dentastix. Snorri has, sadly, passed on, but Kali, at 15, still gets complimented on his teeth, by the vet.

Thorgeir is still a baby, but he gets half a Dentastick every night, after his dinner.

This fosterling will need a good basic clean, but Dentastix ought to be able to maintain his/her gnashers!

Snorri
lilyput
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Raw chicken wings will do the job perfectly. Would the dog let you descale the teeth once they start to improve just to take off the remaining bits?
fimberly
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-05-2009, 07:22 PM
not sure about the descaling yet.
Will have to take things very slowly with this one.
Will talk to another vet about a good clean and get some raw chicken bones from somewhere (currently in NYC so not sure where to look for stuff).

Been using carrots and apple slices as something firm for him to crunch on.

What about things like pigs ears? do you guys think they would work?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >