Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rosiemakes7
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-07-2008, 02:51 PM

Domineering puppy behaviour?

Hi I have only managed 2 posts so here goes my 3rd. I took our pup Rosie to the vets on Sat gone for her 2nd injection. The vet remarked on her sneaky domineering traits... obviously this is a bit worrying and I want to stop it getting any further as I don't want a domineering dog and at worst possibly with aggressive behaviour as I have 4children.

The kind of things the vet pointed out were her lying on the floor with her head on my foot, only slightly, more my toes.. she told me to move my foot (I thought this was Rosie just being close to her mum). She was also following my 2.9 month old son around as he was going about his usual nosy business and got hold of his pants. Obviously I am aware that she is doing this as I am always saying "No" when she does it and removing her jaw from his trousers or underpants. Are there any other things that I should look out for that could be sneaky attempts by her to assert her authority and also tips on how best to stop her picking on the youngest one.

Thank you.
Helen
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2008, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by Rosiemakes7 View Post
Hi I have only managed 2 posts so here goes my 3rd. I took our pup Rosie to the vets on Sat gone for her 2nd injection. The vet remarked on her sneaky domineering traits... obviously this is a bit worrying and I want to stop it getting any further as I don't want a domineering dog and at worst possibly with aggressive behaviour as I have 4children.

The kind of things the vet pointed out were her lying on the floor with her head on my foot, only slightly, more my toes.. she told me to move my foot (I thought this was Rosie just being close to her mum). She was also following my 2.9 month old son around as he was going about his usual nosy business and got hold of his pants. Obviously I am aware that she is doing this as I am always saying "No" when she does it and removing her jaw from his trousers or underpants. Are there any other things that I should look out for that could be sneaky attempts by her to assert her authority and also tips on how best to stop her picking on the youngest one.

Thank you.
Helen
Have you ever had a puppy before ? as this post & your other one sound as if you haven't had much experience if any of puppy owning.

Firstly I don't know how much much experience your vet has, but to say that a puppy is being dominant because she sleeps or lays on or near your feet is a load of twaddle. Your puppy is simply wanting to be near you. At the moment I have a Cavalier & a cat laid on my feet & it is there usual position if I am on the computer. They are not trying to be dominat-sounds like your vet needs to be brought into the 21st century

Puppies do not seek world domination anymore than they seek to dominant their owners. In the canine world puppies have an awful lot of licence allowed to them by older dogs(just the same as most children have from their parents)

As for following your toddler around & pulling on his pants that is play & part of your puppy's learnng curb. I know when I visit people who have puppies(like when I went to see my Wukee & his litter mates all 6 of the puppies were hanging onto my shoes & trousers at one stage)I expect the puppies to pull on trousers & try to chew shoelaces etc etc

Puppies like children have to learn their boundaries & the early they strat to learn the better. Rewarding desired behaviour & ignoring or distractiong from incorrect behaviours is the way to go IMHO

Sheila Bailey's book-The Perfect Puppy is very helpful & a must have for new puppy owners who don't have lots of experience with puppies
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2008, 03:20 PM
The kind of things the vet pointed out were her lying on the floor with her head on my foot, only slightly, more my toes..
Sorry thats rhubarb! ALL my Dogs lie ON my feet, not one of them is domineering in the slightest, heavy, but not domineering!
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2008, 03:21 PM
I'm sure someone with more experience will be along soon but with both ours we make sure we enter and leave rooms before them, same through gates, tight gaps on walks etc make sure you go first, it takes a little while for the pup to twig but they eventually get it. Make sure you eat before pup eats too. This way they know who the boss is, we've found it works well and although our daughter is grown up now we don't have any dominance issues. Mine are 2 and 11 months now and we've had them since young pups and no issues. Keep up the good work Edited to say that my lumps do lay on my feet but I wouldn't say that was domineering behaviour just wanting a cuddle off their mummy
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2008, 03:48 PM
Oh, gosh, I'm probably not the best person to answer this as my dogs always sleep on my feet - usually one on each foot I also allow them to 'ask' for attention (e.g. by nuzzling me) - BUT they know the words 'enough' or 'that's your lot' and when I say it, they will go and lie down.

They also go through doors before me (but would wait if I told them to) and often eat before I do.

Personally I sit on the fence re the dominance theory, but I think the most important thing is clear, consistent rules for the dog (and for your children) and that the dog understands that what you (and your family) say goes.

If the 'no' doesn't work when she is grabbing your youngest, along with the 'no' I would remove the pup from the room for a minute or two - but you have to be prepared to do this each time she does it. (+ if the pup cries when she is in 'time out' - don't bring her back until she has been quiet for say 30 seconds - otherwise she will soon twig that crying will get attention).

Your children will have to learn what is acceptable for the pup to do and what is not - again they need to be consistent (though evidently with the youngest, you'll have to enforce the rules). it only takes once of getting away with something for you to be back to square one.

As Joedee has suggested, I think some bed-time reading would be very helpful
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2008, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Sorry thats rhubarb! ALL my Dogs lie ON my feet, not one of them is domineering in the slightest, heavy, but not domineering!
LOL, couldn't agree more! My lurcher loves to sleep cuddle with me on the sofa with her head on my chest. She only comes on the sofa when ASKED and if asked to get off she will jump down without a crumble.

Look at it from the pups point of view, you have been ripped away from the only family you have ever know been put into this strange house with strange people. The poor mite is just after some comfort and love from her new mummy. To keep pushing the pup off as the vet seems to think you should seems mean IMO and could effect the pup settling in. I think if i was you i would find a new vet because this guy clearly doesn't know what he is on about!
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2008, 04:05 PM

Mine do it too but they are a bloomin` sight heavier than your teenies Silk at this moment has her front paws across my foot and is laying there with a very contented look on her face [ which will change to `aw `mum` when I get up to make a brew in a minute ]

I don`t do the `go through doors first, eat first, don`t let them on the furniture` alpha schmalpha twaddle either, and they still have`nt had any inclination to take over the world
[ though it would be a good idea if they did, I reckon they`d do a much better job of it than the humans who run everything ]
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Teenies!! What do you mean? Big bruisers they are!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2008, 04:21 PM
Vet`s don`t have qualifications in animal behaviour. They have qualifications in animal medicine. This vet has learned to speak out of a rear orifice, IMO.
I`d change my vet, to be honest. Anyone coming out with that sort of rubbish isn`t going to be someone I`d seek advice from. Or you could read up on it and enlighten her?
Another great book (my favourite) is Jean Donaldson`s The Culture Clash.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2008, 04:25 PM
Teenies!! What do you mean? Big bruisers they are!
In their hearts and minds I`m sure they are massive but a teenies thoughts of bigness don`t weigh as much as my Willows bloomin` great head
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >