Our sister sites
Our sister sites
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2004, 06:42 PM

Puppy lead training

I'm just back from Kira's first walk to the park and I'm totaly worn out
She was like a crazy woman on the lead and would not stop pulling and trying to jump and run in every direction
I live in the country so there was so many new sights and sounds and smells ,it was just a nightmare trying to control her
I just wonder if anyone has any advice on how to make this easyier for me and her
also because the public park is over 4 miles away I cant take her there more than 2 times a week at the moment
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2004, 07:14 PM
Luca still does this sometimes. When she starts boinging about, I stop, make her sit and wait until she calms down, then continue our walk. She usually gets the message that if she continue's, we don't go anywhere.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-12-2004, 08:53 PM
As Wolfie says, when your pup pulls you stop. If the puppy is taught at a very young age that pulling gets it nowhere it will quickly learn never to pull against the lead. With pups this is a golden opportunity that too few people take advantage of. Initially you will not get very far, it may take half an hour to walk a few yards, but it WILL work.

I don't know how old your pup is but if very young 4 miles seems an awful long way. The rule of thumb is 5 minutes of walking for each month of the pups age. So a 20 minutue walk on-lead is adequate for a 4 month old. If the pup is much younger then playing in the garden, where it can stop when it is tired, is preferable to a formal walk.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2004, 09:18 PM
You can do this on the shortest of walks, slowly building it up until she gets the idea.
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2004, 10:11 PM
Sorry I should have said the park is a bit over 4 miles away but dont worry I went there in the car
Its just thats the nearest place to take her to meet other dogs and people - thats the nearest Town from where I live and now she is able to get out and get used to everything because she is covered by her injections
Dont worry I know not to over do it till she is fully grown
Today was her first propper walk ,before today she has only been in my garden and my mums garden and both houses are on their own in the countryside so going into Town today was a big WOW for her
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2004, 06:29 PM
aw i want a puppy. the pulling on the lead thingy does work i always stopped with max and he only pulls if he sees another dog now and thats just cos he is an over exuberant lunatic
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2004, 09:22 PM
The first time you walk your pup is amazing. Loki has been stopping to investigate absolutely everything and everyone. I bet you are having loads of fun.
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2004, 09:38 PM
The first walk wasnt much fun trying to get her to just walk on the lead ,but the next time I took her to the park I let my friend look after my other dog Benji so without him running about near us she was really good on the lead ,she is still a bit worried about strange dogs tho ,poor little thing the first few dogs to come over to her to say hello she was terrified and hid behind me then yelped when they tryed to sniff her !
she is getting better tho and not yelping anymore
My vets run puppy partys so that will be good for her but the next one isnt till 13th of Jan.