Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2006, 03:23 PM

Back to the vets :( questions about test results

Brandie has seen the vet a couple of times and been on antibiotics and things seemed to have completely improved. The vet thought it was a kidney infection and we thought it had cleared up fiine.
But yesterday she became ill again She is a lot better today (it usually only lasts a day or two) but we're going back to the vets on monday morning
She will probably have to have blood tests this time Are dogs usually ok with having their blood taken or does it hurt much? I hope they can find out what is wrong though.

Does anyone know how long it takes to test a urine sample? I gave one in on Wednesday. Will they have the results by monday?

Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2006, 03:30 PM
Oh dear Brandie, sorry to hear she's been sick again, and I hope you remembered to keep that daily log I suggested???

Blood is easily taken, and last time Cassie had it done, my vet did it without even shaving her leg or knocking her out, but it has been known in the past at other vets of mine that they had to knock her out and shave part of the leg, but if she's nice and quiet by nature, it should be a breeze! Cassie didn't make a murmer or move a muscle, so it couldn't have hurt coz she's the biggest whimp out!

I can't help you on the urine test Brandie as I have never ever had one done, sorry. Hope they manage to diagnose what is happening to poor Brandie with the blood and urine tests anyway, coz this can't go on can it, poor little girl.
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2006, 03:49 PM
Thanks helena. I have been writing down what was happening but she's been fine for a few weeks I've had nothing to write. I thought it was all ok

Brandie is not really calm at the vets but I suppose I'll have to wait and see how she reacts to the vet as I think it's another different one. We've seen 2 other different people so far
At least it's her front end this time. She hates having her back end pulled and poked. Can't say I blame her
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2006, 06:13 PM
aww poor brandie feeling poorly again love her i wish i could be of some help to you but all i can do is send big big hugs to you both i hope the vet can sort this problem out for her its horrible when your treasured pets are poorly and you dont know what to do for them lets hope monday the vet can put his finger on the problem and get brandie back to 100% better again
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2006, 06:17 PM
Awww...bless her, sorry she's feeling poorly again. Hope all goes well at the vets. Wags and licks from Cassie
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2006, 07:10 PM
[QUOTE=BrandieSnap]Thanks helena. I have been writing down what was happening but she's been fine for a few weeks I've had nothing to write. I thought it was all ok

QUOTE]

Noooooo Brandie You're supposed to just write down everyday stuff, like what she had to eat that day including all tit bits, where you walked her, whether she was normal or a bit off colour. Suppose you put 3 columns with 3 headings of these things, and that way, when she's suddenly started being sick, you could actually see that she had something under one of those columns that she hadn't had all the time that she was ok! Do you get what I mean here?? So you carry on doing it whilst she is having her 2 "off" days, and you might actually notice there is something staring you in the face, like I said before, it could be a certain area she was walked in? If you take her on lots of different walks, then maybe it might be the best idea to have a column for each of these walks and just "tick" that column every day? I don't know, but it proved invaluable to me to do this when my dogs were constantly getting sickness and diarrhea. Anyway, let's hope she will be fine up until her vet's visit for those tests on Monday, poor girl, big hugs for her from us too.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-01-2006, 07:17 PM
Sorry to hear that Brandisnap..blood tests are nothing, a tiny pin***ck often in the vein in a leg, if you hold the dogs head and talk to it they don't even notice.

Re the urine tests it depends what the test was for, some tests like blood sugar levels or protein are instant others like specific bacterial diagnosis take longer .
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

28-01-2006, 07:39 PM
Hi B/S sorry to hear shes not feeling well again

As Mini says, blood taking is just like they do with us, just a tiny pinpr**k & over in a minute
Same as M says about results but shouldn`t be too long now for results
Hope she`s stable for the w/end & try not worry too much
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2006, 07:39 PM
Are dogs usually ok with having their blood taken or does it hurt much?
My puppy BC has had two lots of blood samples done one for his Pet Passport & the other for his DNA tests & my Cavaliers all had blood samples taken for the SHM & MVD research(more DNA research)

Rjj(BC)isn't keen on the vets can't blame him as he's been there 8 times & he's perfectly healthy ! However once he is on the table for blood tests I hold his head & cuddle it so he can't see & a vet nurse stands behind me to get the vein up & then the vet takes the blood Only takes seconds & he never makes a murmur

The cavaleirs had their bloods taken by a vet & a nurse as we took all four in together & the only one who made a noise was JD the wimp & then it wasn't to do with the blood samples but because he didn't want to be to be held. They had the blood taken without shaving & were all fine afterwards

It's very much like having a human blood test done & having had lots of them I can say it is relatively painless & I'm a needle phobic
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-01-2006, 07:51 PM
Sorry to hear Brandie is unwell again,good luck at the vets on Monday.
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 > Last »