Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2012, 07:24 PM

Do thundershirts work?

Honey use to be great in all situations. But since something happened in town, and then living too close to a firework display she hates fireworks, thunderstorms, and people shouting. But I am more worried about it coming up to firework night. We have a adaptil plug in and refill coming. But I was wondering whether anyone has used a Thundershirt, and whether you would recommend them? Because with Honey it gets to the point that she just can't cope with the noise. And really suffers. I have been offered sedatives for her for firework night, but I want to try things to help her through it without relying on the prescriptions if possible, also its not like fireworks are only used on the fifth of November and new years, so anything that would help her is welcome.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2012, 07:36 PM
I believe they DO work for some dogs - but rather than buying one, why not try a small T-shirt first, safety-pinned to make a close fit?

I bought one last year for Merlin, but the horror of having something wrapped around him stressed him out far more than the fireworks. So in a way it did work... but he was far happier without it, just the usual Dorwest Skullcap & Valerian tablets and top-up dose of valerian tincture once the bangs got going.

I think it's a case of finding what works for the individual dog. Others have said Zylkene works well - for my mother's late dog she tried everything including Valium, but only the Dorwest worked.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2012, 08:46 PM
Calmatives seem hit and miss - work great for some dogs, don't work at all for others, and inbetween for some. The manufacturer does a moneyback guarantee for Thundershirts anyway if they don't work Apparently PAH are fully cooperative and will take the Thundershirts back and issue refunds themselves, so no need to post off for a refund.

A snug fitting t-shirt will have a similar effect though if you wanted to trial it.
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-10-2012, 12:42 AM
Our little Habibi is an absolute wreck for fireworks night. Serene-Um seems to help a little, but not all that much. Sometimes, she's okay with being on the sofa under a blanket (this is a fairly normal position for her-- one she occupies for at least half of each night and where she is now). If it's really bad, we'll put up the crate in a corner and drape blankets over it to make her a little space. Door wide open, and it's big enough to have food and water so she doesn't need to come out until the idiots finally quit and she can come out for a pee. Dogs do seek confinement when they feel threatened. I get the sense of putting themselves away from it. But I would not force anything new-- that could be added stress. The crate and the blankets work for Habibi because she knows them. I would prefer to try something like the Thundershirt in a less stressful environment first, to get a dog used to it, before you ever tried it when the dog was already freaked out. That's just me.