Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gemii
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-11-2011, 11:24 AM

Hello...advice regarding house training our puppy

Hello, as title says we are after some advice, we have a 3.5 month old collie, and she gets very confused bless her. She'll need the toilet, so crouch (by the door) to go. So we'll interrupt her, and put her out, she gets so excited at being outside that she will just play for 10, 15, 20 minutes, however long she is out there for...come back in and go on the floor!

What would be the best way to train her to go outside?
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2011, 11:31 AM
Rather than wait for her to crouch by the door, try putting her on lead and taking her into the garden.
Stay in the garden with her until she does do her business and then praise praise praise when she does!
Don't reciprocate with play if she starts, just use it like a calm lead exercise walk round.
You can also keep saying a word that you'll use when you want her to go, ie some say 'hurry up'.....in our house it's 'tiddle'...so she will associate the word with the task.

You can also start to introduce a certain area of the garden for her to go in if you are able to.......but mine go wherever
Gemii
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-11-2011, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
Rather than wait for her to crouch by the door, try putting her on lead and taking her into the garden.
Stay in the garden with her until she does do her business and then praise praise praise when she does!
Don't reciprocate with play if she starts, just use it like a calm lead exercise walk round.
You can also keep saying a word that you'll use when you want her to go, ie some say 'hurry up'.....in our house it's 'tiddle'...so she will associate the word with the task.

You can also start to introduce a certain area of the garden for her to go in if you are able to.......but mine go wherever
Thanks! We have a pretty massive garden, with nothing really fenced off, so she'll just be allowed to go pretty much anywhere! Thanks again for the reply!
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2011, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by Gemii View Post
Thanks! We have a pretty massive garden, with nothing really fenced off, so she'll just be allowed to go pretty much anywhere! Thanks again for the reply!
Depending on how garden proud you are you could try and start by using a far end of the garden for her to go. She's a very intelligent breed and being a bitch she will make scald patches on the grass where she does go.
There are of course ways of avoiding that from astroturf, to Dog Rocks to tomato juice but when I had bitches I tried the Dog Rocks and didn't find that made much difference.

Welcome to the boards anyway, you should introduce yourself and post a piccie. You'll find no end of good advice here

Becky x
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2011, 11:44 AM
I'm just in the process of housetraining a little 9 week old. I'm afraid there are no shortcuts (unfortunately), it's out as soon as she wakes, out after meal, out after drink and out after 'zoomies' (in other words play). When out there I sit very boringly on a garden bench and wait. Once she goes, it's good girl, short play and back indoors.

Indoor mistakes are ignored and cleaned as soon as they happen with a solution of one part biological washing powder to 10 parts water.

Horrible time of year to housetrain, but it's well worth all the effort.
Gemii
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-11-2011, 06:40 PM
Thanks everyone, I did pop a post in the introductions section...but here's the pic of her from there again

Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2011, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
I'm just in the process of housetraining a little 9 week old. I'm afraid there are no shortcuts (unfortunately), it's out as soon as she wakes, out after meal, out after drink and out after 'zoomies' (in other words play). When out there I sit very boringly on a garden bench and wait. Once she goes, it's good girl, short play and back indoors.

Indoor mistakes are ignored and cleaned as soon as they happen with a solution of one part biological washing powder to 10 parts water.

Horrible time of year to housetrain, but it's well worth all the effort.
That's roughly what I was told many years ago re housetraining a puppy. And, if the puppy is doing none of those things - take it outside every 2 hours anyway (unless it is fast asleep).

I followed that advice and, tho' it is hard going for the first weeks - I've never had any problems whatsoever housetraining any of my dogs. No problems with them 'returning to the same spot they peed in last time' if there aren't any! Very, very few isolated accidents - usually if they get over excited about something (maybe a surprise visitor) and before you can get them outside.

I can honestly say all my dogs seemed that they would die of mortification if they had to pee or poo in the house.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2011, 06:59 PM
I have a neighbour living above me who 'despairs of ever housetraining' her little dog.

Dog wakes up at the usual doggy wake up time she doesn't fall out of bed until around 10am! In addition to that, she doesn't go out after 8pm in the evenings because she 'gets into her pjs early'!

Go figure!