Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2010, 09:15 PM

Dog left in car

Very cross today as we travelled back from our holiday in Bath to Norfolk, it was so hot-we were glad we had left our dogs at home with a pet-sitter from "Minders-Keepers" as a 6 hour car journey in such hot weather would not have been much fun for them (wasn't much fun for us either!).

Anyway, we parked at a large service station off the M25 and it was 25 degrees. To my horror I noticed the car behind had a large dog (Golden Retriever) in the estate boot and it was panting and looked distressed. (back window was shut and I think the others were too). As I had seen a PCSO I went to try and find him as I was concerned about the dog. I spoke to a member of staff at the services and she came out with me to have a look as she couldn't find the policeman. When we came out the owner was sitting in the car eating his lunch. I went and said to him that I had reported him to the police for leaving his poor dog in a car on such a hot day-he didn't even reply-just carried on eating.

When I drove off I admit I shouted out "Scumbag owner-you shouldn't have a dog"! as I was upset by the heat and that people still will leave dogs in cars. O.K I don't know how long the dog was left but think it is unacceptable to leave dogs in cars at all on such a hot day. The dog clearly looked hot and distressed and the car was in the sun not the shade.

GRRRRR!!
velvetvampyre
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-07-2010, 10:22 PM
I understand your concern.
Let's hope the aircon was on and there was a bowl of water for him, out of sight maybe.
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-07-2010, 11:19 PM
It seems to be happening more and more frequently - I was shopping in Asda early this week as we all know the weather has been extremely hot, folk still do it.
Poor dog was in there when I went inside Asda 3.30pm and the car was still there when I came out 4.45pm - so off I trotted to customer services, who left a message over the tannoy for the owners to see to their dog Whom come out absolutely red faced, only to be faced with me

Unfortunatly, you can't educate Pork.
Saffy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-07-2010, 08:41 AM
I had a similar experience with a dog being left in the heat.

This guy had left his poor dog leashed up outside a pub whilst he was drinking all afternoon apparently.

I'd walked in and could see the dog was so hot. He was pouring what over the dogs back.

In front of everyone I shouted at him what an earth are u doing!!!

I told him to get the dog out of the sun, and if he wanted to cool the dog down to put water on his chest. Took the bowl from him and did just that.

The Idiot, didn't stop drinking, and after I got my drink the dog was gone, but I hope he felt bad as everyone turned round to look!
Freyja
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-07-2010, 09:59 AM
We travelled back from Great Yarmouth to Staffordshire last monday with 3 dogs in the car. We made several stops to give the dogs water and to get them out of the car to cool down. Fortunatley with them not being heavily coated breeds the heat didn't bother them too much . When we stopped one of us always stayed with the car with all the doors and the tail gate open.

There is no way I would have even considered travelling with a coated breed for that distance it took us 5 hrs to get home. I would have left early in the morning but with staying with friends it would have been rude to just put the pup in the car early before anyone was up and just leave. We left later in the afternoon and the temperature was begginning to cool down and by the time we got home it was quite cool. We also had the air conditionng on in the car all the way home.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2010, 11:34 AM
The amount of people that do its unbelievable. I was walking round the co op this morning & it came over the tannoy twice with the car reg. no. "could the owner please return to the car as the dog was getting distressed"
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2010, 11:00 PM
Poor dog... I wish people would learn...