Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2012, 04:47 PM

Wet eczema...

As some of you may know, Basset (BMD) is suffering from severe wet eczema.

He is currently on rilexine tablets for the wet eczema and has a fuciderm cream to apply to the area. We are also hibbiscrubbing the wound but only by spraying it on at a distance. He is also on his normal caprodyl and also has some tramodol for pain too.

Sadly my parents are struggling with applying the cream. He growls and snarls its clearly so painful, I think they are scared to do it for fear of causing him pain, but also for their limbs!
Anyway, we shall be asking the vet, but does anyone know of a spray on topical treatment as opposed to a cream that perhaps we could suggest to the vet or look in to.
Otherwise would you suggest just getting a muzzle and just going for it?

Thanks all
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2012, 05:05 PM
Poor soul. Can't help you re. the treatments, but if needs be and it certainly sounds like it is, I would muzzle him and just get on with it - has to be done.

Give him plenty of praise though when the muzzle is off (if you can even get some food through the muzzle, something tasty), after treatment and try and keep him as calm as possible, same with yourselves, when applying his treatment.

Can't be easy. Good luck.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Yes, there is a spray on application for hot spots, but I think it's more steroid based than ab from what I can remember. My vet wanted me to try it on Georgie about 4 years ago, I did, it didn't work, I much preferred the Fuciderm, and from what I could gather from her, she thought the same when she gave it to me, and I got the impression it was "new" and she wanted a trial on it!

I think maybe a muzzle might be the only wtg with some cheese perhaps!

I'm sooooo lucky with Georgie, no matter how sore and red any of his skin is, I'm allowed to do anything with it, scrub it, pick off scabs and he never complains, so I thought it didn't hurt him I shall be more gentle in future now that I've learned from Basset. Good luck with him, must be a nightmare with a big dog like that being wriggly and not co-operating.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2012, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Poor soul. Can't help you re. the treatments, but if needs be and it certainly sounds like it is, I would muzzle him and just get on with it - has to be done.

Give him plenty of praise though when the muzzle is off (if you can even get some food through the muzzle, something tasty), after treatment and try and keep him as calm as possible, same with yourselves, when applying his treatment.

Can't be easy. Good luck.
Thanks, sounds like we will have to go for a muzzle It must be done but he screams and yelps poor thing.

Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Yes, there is a spray on application for hot spots, but I think it's more steroid based than ab from what I can remember. My vet wanted me to try it on Georgie about 4 years ago, I did, it didn't work, I much preferred the Fuciderm, and from what I could gather from her, she thought the same when she gave it to me, and I got the impression it was "new" and she wanted a trial on it!

I think maybe a muzzle might be the only wtg with some cheese perhaps!

I'm sooooo lucky with Georgie, no matter how sore and red any of his skin is, I'm allowed to do anything with it, scrub it, pick off scabs and he never complains, so I thought it didn't hurt him I shall be more gentle in future now that I've learned from Basset. Good luck with him, must be a nightmare with a big dog like that being wriggly and not co-operating.
Thanks, ah that's a shame the spray isn't as effective.
Yes Basset screams and yelps and snaps. He is the most gentle dog you will ever meet so it must be sore to cause that much of a reaction. Georgie sounds like a great gentle boy, I cant imagine being able to scratch scabs off!

We tried giving pork etc to him as we do it or letting him eat a pigs ear. I can do it, as I'm not really scared of him and just move away quickly but it's not safe so I can see why they are struggling. Equally when I was doing it, he was heavily doped up on painkillers so that made a difference.

Do you think the wet eczema will be stopping him from getting up?
He's not been standing up recently.. he is a bit better than on Thursday but he will still only get up if needs must and he screams as he does it. Do you think this could be as the wet eczema is so painful. I'm worried it could be as a result of his worsening arthritis Its such a shame when you have to start asking how much longer its fair on him
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2012, 07:55 PM
Not sure about dogs and whether its the same hun but I had it badly as a kid. It REALLY hurt when i moved and itched to the point of tears so maybe Basset feels the same. The cream used to sting and burn too, I had steriod cream, but it did help a lot after using it for a bit.

Hugs to Basset
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2012, 07:59 PM
Where is his wet ecezma? In the elbows, the groin, or maybe around the back of his thighs?

I've had a lot of experience with this since having Georgie, and even when he could chew a whole leg raw sometimes if I went out for half an hour, I've never known him unable to stand BECAUSE of it. Maybe if Basset's are where the skin would stretch when he goes to stand, then I suppose it is a possibility?

Could you not start grooming him, and have a big pot of nice, cool E45 or Sudocreme or similar to hand, and just slap it on whilst you're grooming him i wonder? Or rather your parents could try this? I do know that it has a really soothing effect on Georgie's skin when it's nice and cold, and that E45 lotion or cream is very creamy, it would go on easily even by just slapping a dollop on your palm and leaving it without rubbing it in too much? I just can't imagine not being able to treat Georgie's bad skin, and he always seems to relish the fact that I'm going to make him better, he just lies over for me and let's me get on with it.

Please remember to wear those gloves with that Fuciderm though, I can't stress that enough!!! Good luck, I do hope you can get some relief for the poor lad, and I hope it isn't the arthritis setting in
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2012, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by K'Ehleyr View Post
Not sure about dogs and whether its the same hun but I had it badly as a kid. It REALLY hurt when i moved and itched to the point of tears so maybe Basset feels the same. The cream used to sting and burn too, I had steriod cream, but it did help a lot after using it for a bit.

Hugs to Basset
Thanks, yes it seems really sore. He's had it before where it goes red raw but now the skin seems to have become infected and its gone brown like a piece of gone off meat..
Interesting it itched as I do wonder that as he yowls and wimpers sometimes so you can tell its really irritating.

Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Where is his wet ecezma? In the elbows, the groin, or maybe around the back of his thighs?

I've had a lot of experience with this since having Georgie, and even when he could chew a whole leg raw sometimes if I went out for half an hour, I've never known him unable to stand BECAUSE of it. Maybe if Basset's are where the skin would stretch when he goes to stand, then I suppose it is a possibility?

Could you not start grooming him, and have a big pot of nice, cool E45 or Sudocreme or similar to hand, and just slap it on whilst you're grooming him i wonder? Or rather your parents could try this? I do know that it has a really soothing effect on Georgie's skin when it's nice and cold, and that E45 lotion or cream is very creamy, it would go on easily even by just slapping a dollop on your palm and leaving it without rubbing it in too much? I just can't imagine not being able to treat Georgie's bad skin, and he always seems to relish the fact that I'm going to make him better, he just lies over for me and let's me get on with it.

Please remember to wear those gloves with that Fuciderm though, I can't stress that enough!!! Good luck, I do hope you can get some relief for the poor lad, and I hope it isn't the arthritis setting in
Thanks, you do have a lot of experience with skin problems with poor Georgie dont you!
Its on his thigh, big patch maybe around 5 inches square. He has been licking at it so hes now wearing a cone all the time to stop that.
Does the e45 just offer some relief? Do you put this on mid-way in the day when the fuciderm has already been applied?

His arthritis has been getting steadily worse for a while now, but after not having his tablets for 1 day it seems to have really set him back. Things were so bad when I was looking after him that he couldnt even stand to toilet and he wet himself (although the shock and horror did get him up). Hes a bit more mobile now but still only getting up 3 or so times a day. Its making us question his quality of life, but we wouldnt want to make a rash decision incase he does improve.

He is just so tricky to get anywhere near the wet eczema.. even spraying the hibbiscrub at 1 foot away gets him hett up so applying stuff directly is a nightmare. The skin is all brown and white with infection though so its really bad. The edges are red and dry and healthier but the centre is a mess.
I think I will just have to suggest they get a muzzle and do the best they can.. If it were me I would be persistent but they are less patient and confident than I am sadly.
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-01-2012, 10:36 AM
Just found my spray, it's called Cortavance, made by Virbac Animal Health. A cutaneous spray solution for dogs, POM medicine, contains Hydrocortisone aceponate. Indications: for symptomatic treatment of inflammatory pruritic dermatoses in dogs
(I was given it for hot spots).

Can't remember: is the area shaved? Would make application of any treatment a lot easier.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2012, 11:14 AM
Thanks for that, I will look in to it or perhaps ask the Vet about it.
The area isn't shaved sadly as the vet couldn't get near it..he said it would have to be done under g/a but probably wouldn't want to risk that without full set of blood work to check kidney/liver function etc after being on meds for so long.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2012, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by WhichPets View Post
Thanks, yes it seems really sore. He's had it before where it goes red raw but now the skin seems to have become infected and its gone brown like a piece of gone off meat..
Interesting it itched as I do wonder that as he yowls and wimpers sometimes so you can tell its really irritating.

Thanks, you do have a lot of experience with skin problems with poor Georgie dont you!
Its on his thigh, big patch maybe around 5 inches square. He has been licking at it so hes now wearing a cone all the time to stop that.
Does the e45 just offer some relief? Do you put this on mid-way in the day when the fuciderm has already been applied?

His arthritis has been getting steadily worse for a while now, but after not having his tablets for 1 day it seems to have really set him back. Things were so bad when I was looking after him that he couldnt even stand to toilet and he wet himself (although the shock and horror did get him up). Hes a bit more mobile now but still only getting up 3 or so times a day. Its making us question his quality of life, but we wouldnt want to make a rash decision incase he does improve.

He is just so tricky to get anywhere near the wet eczema.. even spraying the hibbiscrub at 1 foot away gets him hett up so applying stuff directly is a nightmare. The skin is all brown and white with infection though so its really bad. The edges are red and dry and healthier but the centre is a mess.
I think I will just have to suggest they get a muzzle and do the best they can.. If it were me I would be persistent but they are less patient and confident than I am sadly.
Sounds like the kind of sores Georgie used to get when I first had him. I wouldn't put ANYTHING on it if you've applied Fuciderm coz it says on the tube not to apply anything else, so leave it 24 hours to do its job. The E45 is just a relief, for that tightness and soreness, whereas the Sudocreme actually has antisceptic properties which could well help. I'd get that Fuciderm in the middle where the infection seems to be, and use the other around the edges and on the red angry sore bits, BUT, it's so difficult for you with him being like he is.

Good luck, I do hope he gets some relief from all this.