View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2008, 03:19 PM
With the hypothetical dog (assuming it`s a rescue and I haven`t caused the problem!) I`d do the obvious - health check, see what food it was on and if necessary change to quality food with no additives, see if anything or anyone in the home were making it worse and provided there was nothing in the dogs` immediate enviroment making it so stressed, I`d embark on a firm, calm training programme, making the dog work for its food, attention etc. I`d try to focus the dog on me (defer to me) to take away the need to control its space (does that make sense?) I`d try to build up the dogs confidence by not setting it up to fail, and praising `goods` behaviour while avoiding opportunities for `bad`.
Mind you a lot of what one does is instinctive, isn`t it? Like my Shamus panics sometimes (troubled history) and growls at me sometimes so I just stand there, face turned away till he`s stopped - and then he comes up to me and `apologises` with a fullbody wiggle
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2008, 06:53 PM
I dont think I would get this dog neutered - if its showing agression to other dogs but its really based on fear and bluff then taking its bits away might make it more insecure??
Deff would look at the food (after a full vet check) and if its concentration try adding fish body oil and vit E
Prob go down a kinda NILIF thing so it has to work and focus
would try clicker trainnig or something to make training more fun - and reward for the slightest thing to make the dog more confident

Infact poss thats alot to do with it - are you talking a dog shut down from to much incorrect training?? so now it is not trying to learn, fear agressive cos bad things have happend when dogs come near
oh patch you are naughty - but I like you
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2008, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
Patch print this comment of and frame it - youre right.
I think I will

And thank you nickyboy, I appreciate what you said on a personal level and you talk a lot of sense throughout the post

[ don`t worry I`m sure normal service will resume but hopefully the next time you and I do battle we will both do it with a bit more understanding of each other ]
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2008, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by red collar View Post
Patch, I believe your hypothetical hound has a severe case of The Kevins.
Excellent diagnosis

It may be possible to rehabilitate such a wayward puppy solely by kindness and reward, however personally I would bring in more severe smilies at this stage.
Aye, firm but fair, and consistency of method is vital I think

I also believe that some success has been recorded merely by changing an obnoxious puppy's name. All previous negative associations may be wiped from the slate by this method.
Yes I would agree with that, and when any rehab is successful the original is often not recognisable from the improved version and is so much easier to interact with

An alternative, of course, is rehoming. But who would take this puppy? Is there anywhere where his unruly behaviour would go unnoticed?
Aye, the behaviour really needs fixing, otherwise it would just be passing on bad habits to others to deal with, and we know how easy it is for young pups to be influenced into bad habits by an older norty one

On a positive note, it is obvious that the lad has not really learnt to use his teeth at this stage. It is all bluster and froth. Heck, my cockatiel has given me a stronger bite!

I`m thinking the stooge dog approach though I would`nt want to try it with a cockatiel`s beak, had two of them, being pecked can really smart
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2008, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
Get it neutered
Yup that might help
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2008, 09:00 AM
Having now had the time to read the thread properly I would like to revise my training plan and suggest that running the hypothetical dog with an older female dog may teach him some manners.
Further to that, I am now going off to have a lie down in a darkened room because I am starting to agree with nickyboy
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-06-2008, 09:07 AM
Gosh...
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-06-2008, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Having now had the time to read the thread properly I would like to revise my training plan and suggest that running the hypothetical dog with an older female dog may teach him some manners.
Further to that, I am now going off to have a lie down in a darkened room because I am starting to agree with nickyboy

We should keep an eye on their interactions, however. I would suggest a month or so log of calming signals: frequency, duration and effect.
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-06-2008, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
dear lord why does that huge grin scare me
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2008, 09:24 AM
this thread has been a real eye opener,, more so as I failed the training problem thing,,,,runs....................
Page 17 of 18 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 >