Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2007, 09:40 PM
Hi Dawn,
Can i ask how you come to be in contact with pitbulls,Do you know owners or is it through rescue?
Have you ever seen one in a family enviroment?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2007, 09:44 PM
Hi Sal.
I have boarded loads over the last 14yrs Sal, and still do!

I do know a few people that have had them as pets, no problems with 2 of them, but one did kill their Cat it had lived with for 4yrs and also killed a dog who belonged to a family member, again never showed signs of nastiness towards it before attacking it, the PB was male and the dog it killed was female.

How about you sal?
Dawn.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2007, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post

Can I ask, how many people participating in this thread have had actual hands on, day to day experience of Pit bull terriers?
Dawn.
I did years ago, yes. Most time spent with the particular lovely lad I mentioned but a bit of time with a few others as well less frequently, [ there were`nt many around where I lived at the time ].
If anything I would say their `snapping` threshold is way higher than average dogs because they are so people friendly by nature, it would take an awful lot to push a well brought up Pit over the edge. Their pain threshold / stoicism also tends to mean they can and would take a lot more physical provocation to make them lash out.

By lashing out I mean the same as any other dog might use teeth to defend under provocation. Yes they can inflict major damage because of jaw set and bite strength but having a powerful jaw does not make them bad dogs, its people who cause them to be that way either deliberately or through ignorance.

When they were mostly regular pets and not used for fighting, bite incidents were *incredibly* rare, far less prevalent than other breeds, [ Labs I believe are the frontrunners for bite attacks in the UK...].
There have been more attacks since they were banned than in all the years before that because of course its the unsavoury members of society who own them illegally now and they are exactly the type who should not be allowed near any dog of any breed because of the way they treat them and use them for illegal activities.
Among the law abiding every day owners before the ban a human would have more likelihood of being bitten by a Westie or a Chi or pretty much any other dog than a Pit.

I agree with Bebe, its very frustrating that the dog aggression side which some are still bred and used for is seen as being the same as aggression toward humans. It would be a rare Pit imo which would attack a human even with reason let alone without it and they would need far more reason to turn on a human than most other dogs, its just not in the breeds nature unless practically forced into it one way or another.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-03-2007, 10:03 PM
It was a few years short of me coming into this world that this dog was knocking around, a Pit named 'faye' who belonged to wife [now ex wife] of an uncle of mine, apparently this dog was the mose demure and loving family pet you could imagine...one day in about July, as the story goes, the uncle and aunts children were playing in their paddling pool..their garden was quite large and they were a fair distance from where 'Faye' was...anyway as the children played, the uncle commented to his wife how odd the dog was behaving..she kept glaring at the children as they played and 'stomping' around the place, she then dozed off on a sun lounger..as one of the children walked past..she attacked them. Now as i say, this is story i've been told as i was not in existance of the time. This was a totally unprovoked attack, this dog had suddenly begun to act very out of character, within about an hour it had the small child [six year old young girl, Katie] by the shoulder dragging her around and litterally treating her as a ragdoll. According to the uncle this dog would not let go no matter what they did..when Katie sort of 'fainted' the dog eventually let go of her. She was rushed to hospital with horrific injuries of which she still bears the scars today, and severe blood loss. Now please, anybody questioning the damage these dogs can do-i will be willing to get pictures of the wounds inflicted by a pit some 19 years ago now..that are still just as horrificlly gouged into her shoulder as they were upon that fateful day.
Now this was a loving family pet, been around the children since a puppy..deemed nothing medically wrong by the vet prior to being pts, the uncle n aunt decided to give the animal some grace, and nothing had happened to spark this dog off. Children playing far away from the dog..dog lying down..dog starts to pace around staring in a 'unsettling' [according to the uncle] manner..dog savages child. The uncle still says 'if only i would have done something when she started to act oddly', but i still think it would have happened eventually. An unprovoked attack, totally out of charcter by a dog that was infamous for sleeping in the beds with the children.

The purpose to the above story is that I honestly believe they are slightly unpredicitable and CAN 'explode' at the slightest knock. I can't say they most definatley are dangerous as my experience with them is NILL, and i'm sure many do live perfect family lives..but I can't help wondering, when hearing and seeing stories about such dogs as the above, that they are often very much timebombs
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2007, 10:04 PM
Hi Sal.
I have boarded loads over the last 14yrs Sal, and still do!

I do know a few people that have had them as pets, no problems with 2 of them, but one did kill their Cat it had lived with for 4yrs and also killed a dog who belonged to a family member, again never showed signs of nastiness towards it before attacking it, the PB was male and the dog it killed was female.

How about you sal?
Dawn.
I know people that kept them years ago,but i've never had the pleasure of actually meeting one.
I really do admire the breed and think they are beautiful dogs.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2007, 10:08 PM
I really do admire the breed and think they are beautiful dogs.
So do I Sal, I agree.
Dawn.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2007, 10:11 PM
There have been more attacks since they were banned than in all the years before that because of course its the unsavoury members of society who own them illegally now and they are exactly the type who should not be allowed near any dog of any breed because of the way they treat them and use them for illegal activities.
I agree Patch, thing is if these dogs were not in existance here, these "attacks" would not of occured. There isnt one "responsibly" owned or bred Pit Bull in this Country.
Dawn.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-03-2007, 10:17 PM
I agree Patch, thing is if these dogs were not in existance here, these "attacks" would not of occured. There isnt one "responsibly" owned or bred Pit Bull in this Country.
Dawn.
Amen, something I am confused over is people really kicking a fuss up when Pit Bulls, not type, not other bullbreeds, Pit Bulls are seized under the DDA or the such, when they KNOW they are a banned breed?
Stamford
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-03-2007, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Amen, something I am confused over is people really kicking a fuss up when Pit Bulls, not type, not other bullbreeds, Pit Bulls are seized under the DDA or the such, when they KNOW they are a banned breed?
I understand what you mean Luke,but to answer your question as far as im concerned there should not be any banned breeds in this or any other country.But i can't get into that here as this is not a BSL thread.
bebe
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-03-2007, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
But thats the problem, how many of the dogs seized were
pure bred pitbulls? Not many I imagine. Most were "type", crossbreeds, staffs, or other bull crosses. There is no DNA test to determine if a dog is a pitbull, unless BOTH parents are there to be tested too. Its a farce.
Page 5 of 132 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 55 105 > Last »