Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
manydogz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-07-2013, 05:48 PM

Advice needed..heat related problem????

This morning one of my Chihuahua's did a strange thing. He had been wrapped in a blanket on the couch as I keep it quite cool inside. When I got up he came out from under his blanket, jumped down onto the floor, walked a few feet and fell over. He wasn't unconscious but he couldn't seem to get his legs under him in order to stand and was shaking a bit and panting a lot. I picked him up and noticed that his belly was very hot. It was all over in less than 20 minutes with no apparent after effects. Joey is 3 years old and is somewhat overweight but other then that he has no health issues. Could he get heat stroke symptoms if he got too warm under the blanket? He was sleeping under the blanket wedged between my back and the back of the couch.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2013, 05:58 PM
Oh,sounds like over-heating alright,would lose the blanket!!I have fans on here constantly,Lacey doesn't even have a blanket at night.Hope your wee dog is o. k
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-07-2013, 06:04 PM
Does sound like overheating. We have fans going night and day to keep the air circulating. One of my Pugs still chooses to sleep under her blanket so I've been wrapping ice packs and tucking them around the bedding. I keep checking their tums and inner thighs but they still seem very lively considering how hot it is.
manydogz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-07-2013, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
Oh,sounds like over-heating alright,would lose the blanket!!I have fans on here constantly,Lacey doesn't even have a blanket at night.Hope your wee dog is o. k
I live in central florida and its very hot here this time of year, so I have the air conditioning set on 75 degrees at night. joey has very short hair. so short his belly and chest appear to be hairless. if its heat related i'll put his blanket away till "winter". poor joey...he so loves that blanket.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2013, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by manydogz View Post
I live in central florida and its very hot here this time of year, so I have the air conditioning set on 75 degrees at night. joey has very short hair. so short his belly and chest appear to be hairless. if its heat related i'll put his blanket away till "winter". poor joey...he so loves that blanket.
Ah poor wee Joey, with his hair being so short is sunburn a worry,do dogs get sunburn
manydogz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-07-2013, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
Ah poor wee Joey, with his hair being so short is sunburn a worry,do dogs get sunburn
yes, dogs do get sunburned particularly Chihuahua's and great danes. I don't have that problem as my dogs seldom go outside. they are all couch potatoes and wouldn't think of leaving the air conditioning for long.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-07-2013, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by manydogz View Post
I have my bedroom air conditioning set at 26°C [78.8°F] at night and Pereg sprawls at the foot of the bed so she gets the full benefit. I am just a bit inland so it is not so humid here and that temperature at night is comfortable.
manydogz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-07-2013, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
I have my bedroom air conditioning set at 26°C [78.8°F] at night and Pereg sprawls at the foot of the bed so she gets the full benefit. I am just a bit inland so it is not so humid here and that temperature at night is comfortable.
Here we have rain every afternoon as it is summer so the humidity is 100% most of the time. 75 degrees keeps it barely comfortable for me. I am inland, 65 miles from either coast, although there are many lakes in the area as I live within a national forest. Joey has been fine all day and has not been under his blanket. Since they all sleep with me the couch can get to be a fairly warm spot and with him also under a light blanket and wedged between my back and the back of the couch I'm thinking it just got him too overheated as people here have suggested.