View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 02:07 PM
I hope the other Doberman rescues can help you, it would be awful if he had to be pts. Though if they can't help and you can't find anybody else willing and knowledgable to take him on I do agree that it would probably be for the best
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by kitty View Post
The RSPCA didn't home him to me, my friend and her partner took him from the RSPCA and then 6 months later split up and my freind had to move out and find somewhere else to live, it wasn't suitable for a big dog so her mum said she would take him, her mum has has him for the last 6 months and her mum is elderly and has health problems, she can't walk Oscar and her husband had to.
Oscar has had no training to walk to heal and pulls like a train and is very aggressive to other dogs so he was really hard work to walk.
It had started to cause bad arguments beween them, and I knew they were struggling so when I heard they had contacted the RSPCA to take him back, thats when I stepped in, I though we could save him from going back there and that we could provide a good home for him.
Hi sorry i wasn't being clear, i meant the reason he was in the RSPCA to begin with maybe ?
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 02:11 PM
Ok head over the parapet, this dog was a stray yes rehomed to your friend, i guess your friend had no kids especially young ones, as most responsible rescues will not home a dog with no history to someone with young kids, her circumstances changed and you took the dog on, its at this point, the dog should have gone back to the RSPCA, now he stands no chance, unless one of the breed rescues can take him and rehome him again in a home without kids. FWIW my Millie hates kids, doesn't mean she should be put to sleep.

This dog needs to go to someone who will assess him properly, if he does have scars all down his back, stands to reason that someone has hurt him at this point before
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 02:18 PM
Have you tried the other Doberman Rescue groups yet? I am sure someone will be able to help.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

12-05-2010, 02:28 PM
The most worring aspects, I feel, are that the dog gave no warning that you percieved and that he apparently wanted to sustain his attack.

The plus side is that the dog delivered a nip. Dogs have fantastic precision with regard bite inhibition and had the dog wanted to mutilate your son it could have done so but instead it delivered a nip. In view of this I would not make pts my first option.

I agree with those who have said vet check first and, if that throws no light, you must rehome. I would speak with as many breed specific and general rescues as I could find, giving as complete a picture as you can. There are rescues who will take on dog's who have bitten. They are many who wont so you will have to search thoroughly and include small rescues who are sometimes more flexible. Their expertise will be essential in finding a safe enviroment for him.

I would advise strongly against private rehoming. Dobes (and especially those percieved as aggressive) can attract plausible, but wholly innappropriate, interest. If another home can be found for this dog then it needs to be right and permanent. It must meet exacting standards and an experienced rehomer + the wider exposure that a rescue offers over a private ad is the only realistic (and safe) chance, imo.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 02:30 PM
Dobermann Rescue contact for Lancashire is Judith Blashaw judith@dobermann-rescue.co.uk 01617 635423
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 02:42 PM
Ive had a look at your other posts and you mention thinning hair on his side which is assumed to be where he cheews himself (your friend said when he is stressed). Some dobes do suck/chew their flanks (others nu nu on a blanket!) but with Dobes bi lateral (on their sides) hair loss can be a sign of a thyroid condition. So if you go for a vet check please make sure you ask for the 'T' tests sorry cant remember which ones but will have a look think its 3 and 4 and TGaa or something like that. This may be a contributing factor to his temperament? Let us know how you get on x
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 03:06 PM
It is T3 & T4. TGaa is another type of test but expensive and more of an indicator of problems in the future I gather.

Scaly skin was also mentioned as one of the indicators of the condition amongst aggression and others (you posted previously about his flakey skin)

Is he castrated?
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 03:16 PM
I know this won't be popular with a lot of people but I would far rather a vet saw him and checked him over before you decide to definately have him pts. Poor little lad, maybe he has aggression issues and there may be no other way that to send him to the bridge but I can't help feeling he has been passed from pillar to post and must feel very insecure. The scars on his back and thinning of hair are not something you see on a dog that has has a normal time of it.

There are a lot of homes out there where he need never meet another dog or a child..it would be good if you could find him a home like that.

Obviously if the vet checks him over, can find no reason for his actions then you have to make the decision that you can live with...I just feel so sorry for him and I feel so sorry for you, you gave him a home when he needed it and now it has backfired.

(((hugs))) and support from me, whatever you decide.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
I know this won't be popular with a lot of people but I would far rather a vet saw him and checked him over before you decide to definitely have him pts. Poor little lad, maybe he has aggression issues and there may be no other way that to send him to the bridge but I can't help feeling he has been passed from pillar to post and must feel very insecure. The scars on his back and thinning of hair are not something you see on a dog that has has a normal time of it.

There are a lot of homes out there where he need never meet another dog or a child..it would be good if you could find him a home like that.

Obviously if the vet checks him over, can find no reason for his actions then you have to make the decision that you can live with...I just feel so sorry for him and I feel so sorry for you, you gave him a home when he needed it and now it has backfired.

(((hugs))) and support from me, whatever you decide.
Really? I think these 'special' owners are extremely few and far in between. I used to volunteer at my local Dogs Trust and most of the dogs with serious issues (none biting a person though, if I remember correctly) were there for an incredibly long time. Many never left the rescue, some I'm sure were PTS. In fact, I looked at their website recently and some of the dogs that were there several years ago when I volunteered, are still there now.

A male Dobermann with an unknown past that is dog aggressive and has bitten a child in an unprovoked attack is not going to be easy to home. I would say near impossible, especially as you have plenty of dogs which are none of those things.
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 47 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »