Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Keaton11050
New Member!
Male 

31-10-2017, 09:23 PM

Dog pooping in pen

Hello,

I have a 6.5 month old Great Dane and when we got him my wife was off work for the summer (teacher) now that she is working again we had him crated during the day but he was still so young we would come home to him covered in poop. After he got larger I felt bad at how little room he had so I got him the XXL crate recommended for Great Danes and an X pen and combined them. I lay towels out in the X pen so if he does go it isn’t on th floor and I have a bed in his crate and give him a kong. He is in there for about 8 hours usually and whenever I come home he always had peed but when it is frustrating is about 50% of the time he poops tries to bury it gets it all over the floor it’s all over the towels and then it smells horrible until cleaned up. Any ideas or solutions? Please help! I thought about removing the towels completely so he has no place to bury it but I’m afraid of pee being everywhere then
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-10-2017, 09:29 PM
How about paying someone to come in during the day to let him out to go to the toilet and work on his house training.
Keaton11050
New Member!
Male 

31-10-2017, 09:37 PM
We have tried that but then the person/people doing it just became unwilling to do it anymore. The thing is he knows not to go in the house he goes right to the door and let’s us know he has to go out. I think he has just become accustomed to going on the towels because about a month ago I was in the garage and he walked in his pen right in front of me and started to pee. He has slowly gotten better. Like last week it was only 2 out of the 5 days he was in there he actually went in there whereas before it was every day or even if we left for an hour or so
Keaton11050
New Member!
Male 

31-10-2017, 10:01 PM
Ssssssssssss
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-10-2017, 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by Keaton11050 View Post
We have tried that but then the person/people doing it just became unwilling to do it anymore.
Do you know why they became unwilling?
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-10-2017, 11:30 PM
Sorry if it offends, but think eight hours is too long to leave any dog, let alone a large breed puppy. He may know that he should ask to go out while you are there, but if he needs to go when left alone, he has no alternative but to use his pen. Unfortunately Danes pass large quantities of poop, and his attempt to cover it is a natural response for many dogs. Have you considered daycare for him?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2017, 11:55 PM
Have you tried giving him the run of a room to see if it makes a difference?

It seems to me that 'going' in his pen has become a habit.

As to why he is doing it - it could be any number of reasons from being unable to hold for that length of time, or simply that it makes him feel better.

I take it that the person you had coming in to look after him only came for a short amount of time to let him relieve himself and possibly take him for a short walk or play in the garden? If so, did he soil in the pen at that time? If not, then the fact that he is doing it now points to him not coping too well with either the amount of time he's left or that he can't hold for that amount of time
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-11-2017, 12:21 AM
Originally Posted by CaroleC View Post
Sorry if it offends, but think eight hours is too long to leave any dog, let alone a large breed puppy. He may know that he should ask to go out while you are there, but if he needs to go when left alone, he has no alternative but to use his pen. Unfortunately Danes pass large quantities of poop, and his attempt to cover it is a natural response for many dogs. Have you considered daycare for him?
Carole

I think you are spot on.
An observation I have made before. Wishful dog owners need to understand the commitment that owning a dog requires before doing so. If you can't make that commitment, don't get one.

A related tail....
We got a crate for Max. The largest we could get. We had intended to fly with him to the US and a crate was mandatory. Our dog contained in a crate for nine hours plus the time for formalities didn't sit well with me.

As it happens, we didn't go for various reasons so the XXL unused crate sat in my office. My dear wife's friend had a need for a crate. We gave it to her. Her Great Dane got it. And outgrew it before he was one year old.

The more I read here, the more I realise just how lucky we got.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-11-2017, 01:39 AM
Besoeker.
I do sometimes wonder how we humans would manage if we were confined to a bedroom, all day, every day. Yes, you are allowed your iPad, a flask of coffee, and maybe a packet of biscuits too, but there is no-one to talk to - and no toilet.
I know I couldn't cope.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2017, 07:00 AM
My exact thoughts as Carole's ... I apologise too if I cause offence but it is unacceptable to crate any dog for 8 hours of any size ... but a GD !! Poor dog ������
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >