Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
doglover42
New Member!
Female 

18-03-2017, 12:55 AM

Please help! My Rottweiler has weird aggressive behavior

My rottweiler, Ryker, is leaving me puzzled.
He is about 4 years old. He was neutered about one year ago. We live with my parents (and have since he was a puppy). Over the years, he has developed some weird behaviors. My brother was not always nice to him. I don't know who started it but they don't always get along.
Anyway, it'd probably be easier to answer questions.
This is his main problem:
He charges at the door when people leave. Mainly my brother, sister, and dad. I've never seen him do it to ky mom. He does it to me every once in a blue moon.
With my brother, sister, dad... It's every. Single. Time.
None of us are really sure why?
Again, my brother and my dog don't really get along.
However, he LOVES my dad and usually spends his time and sleeps next to my sister.
Because of the relationships he has with them, I don't really understand what the deal is. Google has not been helpful as a lot of dogs seem to charge at the door but doesn't seem to mirror my situation.
Thanks for any insight!
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2017, 06:11 AM
Keep a lead/leash in the room and before anyone goes to leave put it on your dog and take him out first. If you can make him sit before you or the person holding the lead goes through/out the door. This must be done everytime and through all doorways. He must be at the person's side/heel or slightly behind if doorway not quite wide enough.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-03-2017, 07:29 AM
I agree with Brenda, none of mine could do this as I have baby gates oh doors preventing any access to the front door and they've been taught to wait at the gate even if it's open.Not sure why you say it's aggressive, is he barking and growling when doing it?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2017, 09:08 AM
Is this happening when they are taking the dog out, or is it when they are leaving and he is left at home?

Are there other people who are not leaving the house inside with him when this happens?

When you say aggressive, is he going to snap at them, or just charging at the door as they leave?
bongo's_handler
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-03-2017, 06:13 PM
Put a light nylon dragline on him to wear around the house AT ALL TIMES. If he chews it, correct him and let him know not to put it in his mouth ever again. Then, prooftrain. If he doesn't already have one, buy a chain training collar from your pet store and look up a video on how to put it on him properly. (Too long to explain lol) Start getting him used to how you correct him with it. Grab the leash as tight as you can and have another family member open the door wide and step back. Try and get him to run out. As soon as he starts running towards the door, tell him 'NO' as firmly as you can, but loud and harsh enough to get him to stop in his tracks. As you tell him no, pull the leash back to make the collar snap close. This is called 'rapid-fire popping'. Let him know by popping his collar and creating stress that he is not to repeat the behavior. Do this as many times as you need to until you open the door and he doesn't even move. Consistency is key. Practice every two days until it is burned into his adorable little skull, and once you've mastered it, show your family how to correct him. He needs to listen to everyone, not just you.
Hope this helps, and good luck!
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2017, 06:46 PM
Please don't. All you will do is create fear.
bongo's_handler
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-03-2017, 03:17 PM
Discipline doesn't create fear. It lets them know what is okay and what isn't, and if they have no boundaries then that dog will make her life a nightmare.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2017, 07:53 PM
It does if it is the wrong type of discipline. Chain collars are so bad.
bongo's_handler
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-03-2017, 03:51 PM
It doesn't hurt the dog in any way, shape, or form if you use them correctly. If you drag a dog across the room as hard as you can with the collar, it will hurt them. But just closing and opening it quickly reprimands the behavior in an appropriate fashion. I suggest you do some research on how to properly use a chain training collar, because they're 20 times better than shock collars, which can actually cause a serious amount of pain if abused.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2017, 05:31 PM
I won't even bother to reply but suffice to say I have been a dog trainer/behaviourist for over 30 years.