Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2012, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by S6754 View Post
My other half had a bit of a rant earlier. She's annoyed that I've been focusing on just staffys. So in addition we're back to labradors but we also like the look of golden retrievers.

I went for a walk today with my stepson and found a fantastic walk through some quiet woodlands/field. Saw a few other dog walkers on the way. Only a stones throw from the house but didn't know it existed! Various paths to take but the one we took was 45mins long which seems like a decent doggy walk.
I think you should just go to a rescue, and see what you fall in love with, being dog folk we know what a rough deal Staffies have had so have probably steered you in that direction a little, there are thousands of dogs out there that really need new homes
S6754
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-03-2012, 07:26 PM
I've had a think and a chat with the other half. The end result is that we're back to a labrador which I'm fine with. It's the only dog she's wanted since we've been together and it does seem unfair to deprive her of what she wanted just because staffys are lovely and there's so many in need of a home.

We've also agreed that we do want a puppy. We have the time to put in and it means we know the history as we'll be the ones creating it. It would be brought up with a cat so we can tackle that issue and not worry that the dog we fall in love with hates them.

I'm not sure when this will take place. We're reading up on labrador puppy care and will start drawing up a list of things to buy. I see puppy prices are quite varied but my inlaws are going to dig out the info on the breeder they bought their labrador from and we'll see if they still breed. I imagine it'll be a good few months before we're ready to start choosing a puppy.

Oh and that's a definite yes I've given my other half so there's no going back now. I think she'd suffocate me in my sleep if I changed my mind!

I'll keep you updated
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2012, 07:53 PM
Aw glad it's all going ahead, I think you will make a fantastic home for whichever dog you chose.

Just a few things;

1) If you haven't already, buy Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson - it will set you up for success knowing how to deal with training a puppy and is beneficial read BEFORE getting the pup

2) Perhaps consider going for an hours walk every day this week come rain or shine to make sure it's something you are going to be happy to keep up with for the next 10 or so years.

3) Look in to all the health checks that are recommended for Labradors such as hip and elbow scores. I'm sure there are more too. From there you can start to visit good breeders. It's worth spending time finding a breeder you are happy with.

Good luck
S6754
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-05-2012, 07:10 AM
Just thought I'd update. We got in touch with the breeder that bred my inlaws labrador and got the timing just right as they were planning to try again, so we put our name down (top of the list). The mating was successful and the scan showed 6 puppies, they're due to be born in about 2 weeks time. 2 weeks after they are born we are allowed to go and choose one and put down a deposit. The mum is a chocolate and the father a black so they're expecting a mix.

My inlaws gave us a cage that they no longer use but that's all we have so far.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2012, 07:13 AM
Oh how exciting! I look forward to the piccies when the time is right.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2012, 07:20 AM
Great I hope everything works out for you.

Not sure what you can decide at two weeks old when the pups will not have opened their eyes or only just and are like guinea pigs?

Hopefully both sire and dam will have been elbow and hip scored and tested clear or carrier only for any eye defects and they have superb temperaments.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2012, 10:17 AM
I'm not sure how you could pick a puppy at 2 weeks of age either? most puppies don't start showing their true personalities until they are around 5 weeks of age. Most breeders should also be able to assist in matching the right puppy to the right owner. Obviously this cannot be done when the puppies are 2 weeks of age.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2012, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I'm not sure how you could pick a puppy at 2 weeks of age either? most puppies don't start showing their true personalities until they are around 5 weeks of age. Most breeders should also be able to assist in matching the right puppy to the right owner. Obviously this cannot be done when the puppies are 2 weeks of age.
I agree - I would say 5- 6 weeks to pick puppy - we went at 6 weeks then 8 weeks to pick up

Hope you enjoy your dog best thing ever !
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
they could pick sex and colour (if mixed,) but agree you cant see temperament till around 5/6 weeks,

Being your first dog to be honest other than sex, I would ask your breeder to maybe pick one that will suit your life for you.

A lot of breeders do this anyway (my friend does) they will see the development of each pup over the weeks to come and know which is the rowdy one, the bully, the quiet one, the outgoing the hyper and so on,

Being they are from working parents you don`t want the one that is the most active ,

So be guided by your breeder , and her recommendation.
chaospony
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-05-2012, 02:52 PM
Wow I was wondering what you had decided, very exciting times for you and your other half! Good luck with your pup and please keep us posted!
Page 9 of 14 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »