View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2012, 08:50 AM
I'd defo contact DD and the breed society.

How horrible, poor dog.
Lulusmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-05-2012, 10:34 AM
Well done for speaking up.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2012, 10:48 AM
It was very busy - we were there on the Saturday with the boys and they drank alot there - but their bowl was always topped up - we took a huge bottle in with us - there really is no excuse for not taking care of the dogs like that.

I didn't think it was particulary hot in there - but we were tucked in a corner away from the 'action' - but it was full on busy day for them.

The boys really did love the attention though!

It was very hard to ask people to leave them alone when they decided to snooze but I was very polite and asked people to come back as they had been very busy and that fuss and attention is pretty exhausting.

It was a very scaled down DD but the show seemed to be a hit I think? Not sure how busy it was on the Sunday?
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Tbh id probably appreciate the fact that youd let me know. Maybe with their coats they have drank a lot before and she underestimated... I do think brierley's idea of welfare wardens is a good one. Maybe that should be emailed to the organisers as a suggestion.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2012, 11:54 AM
People are ignorant and stupid in equal measure, it would seem......

Well done for persisting...

x0x
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2012, 01:56 PM
I think some people on this thread have been a bit harsh TBH. Are there many pet owners who can honestly say that their pets water has at any point never run dry? that their pet hasn't knocked over a dish of water and been without for a while? that their water dish hasn't leaked and they have been without briefly until you have noticed?

Yes it isn't ideal but the reality is that the dog isn't going to drop dead after half an hour without water. People get distracted and don't always think immediately....it is human nature.

For some to suggest "neglect" because the dog was without water for half an hour is extreme to say the least.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Tbh id probably appreciate the fact that youd let me know. Maybe with their coats they have drank a lot before and she underestimated... I do think brierley's idea of welfare wardens is a good one. Maybe that should be emailed to the organisers as a suggestion.
Yep if someone pointed that out to me I'd say thanks for letting me know, and give them some water. It sounds like she had a bit of an attitude, based on the OPs post?

Also though, I do agree with Labradork, I don't think a dog being a bit thirsty for 35 mins is cause for shouting neglect
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I think some people on this thread have been a bit harsh TBH. Are there many pet owners who can honestly say that their pets water has at any point never run dry? that their pet hasn't knocked over a dish of water and been without for a while? that their water dish hasn't leaked and they have been without briefly until you have noticed?

Yes it isn't ideal but the reality is that the dog isn't going to drop dead after half an hour without water. People get distracted and don't always think immediately....it is human nature.

For some to suggest "neglect" because the dog was without water for half an hour is extreme to say the least.

It was for longer than half an hour; the water bowl was already empty when I first went over to see the dogs. I was there for a good ten minutes before wandering away, as was unable to interrupt the dog owner's conversation. It was then half an hour later that I returned.Someone else later mentioned to me it had been empty for a while and they too had been troubled by the dog crying constantly.

There were two dogs in the pen and both were visibly distressed.

And to answer your question:yes, actually, I can tell you hand on heart that my dog's water bowl has NEVER been empty, because I make a point of always checking it, regularly.

Providing water is surely THE most basic thing we do for our dogs? These dogs did not ask to be taken to Earls Court to be stared at and petted for two whole days, in a very hot and crowded hall. The least an owner can do is provide water for them!

Bottom line: I was there, and I know what I saw.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2012, 04:11 PM
Why are you assuming that the dogs were crying and "visibly distressed" because they didn't have water for the brief time you saw them? they could have been acting that way for a number of reasons.

What if more water was put down while you were away, which the dogs had subsequently drank during the time in which you were away?

It is easy to jump to conclusions - the general public are great at it.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2012, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Why are you assuming that the dogs were crying and "visibly distressed" because they didn't have water for the brief time you saw them? they could have been acting that way for a number of reasons.

What if more water was put down while you were away, which the dogs had subsequently drank during the time in which you were away?

It is easy to jump to conclusions - the general public are great at it.

Er, maybe because the second the water was given, the dog stopped crying and lapped it up........

And since when is over 40 minutes a 'brief time' for a dog in a hot, crowded place to be without water???

I also know for a fact that water was NOT put down while I was away - I spoke with someone else who had been there the entire time and who was equally concerned.

I owned a Rough Collie for 13 years so I possibly have a bit of an idea what their distress sounds like.

And no - I was not 'jumping to conclusions', I was concerned for a dog (two dogs actually) that was visibly very distressed and constantly crying.

Once I pointed out the lack of water, all the owner had to do was either accept my offer of going to get some for her dogs OR put some in the bowl herself. Instead, she denied the bowl was empty - when everyone there could see that it was!

Given that we are all dog lovers here, and my post was simply expressing upset to fellow dog lovers, I don't really know why you are taking issue with me over this.
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »