Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2008, 05:20 PM

which breed to show?

hi, im interested in getting another dog who i would like to show(try anyway!!) i would look at getting the pup probably in the latter half of next year. i would also like possibly to have a go at agility with him/her but more importantly to show and, eventually when my son is quite a bit older-get him doing young handler classes-but thats a way off-i dont mind whether it is small(baring in mind i have 2 clumsy gsds!) or large but i would want them not to have to much coat. but more importantly they must be friendly and sociable dogs...has anyone got any ideas...i was thinking of a dobermann?? or possibly a rottweiler(i know not ideal for young child to handle) or the smaller breeds- a cocker? suggestion would be great
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2008, 07:30 PM
Hmmm...there are loads that fit the profile. Why not hang on till March and try to get down to Crufts? I'm sure something will catch your eye. That's how we chose our Estrela. A happy accident, went round a corner and there they were. We just thought 'wow, they are fantastic' so had a good chat with some breeders and the discover dogs peeps and did some research at home. Good luck with your search!
Freyja
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-12-2008, 12:14 PM
What about a whippet?

They are short coated easy to care for being a low maintenace dog. They usually have breed classes at open shows although at champ shows do get a very big entry often well over 200 total entry. They are easy for a child to handle my son Ben started handling classes with my whippets and they adore kids.

I also know of people that do agility with their whippets they can take a lot of training but are a joy to own and would get on well with your GSD. Our old GSD adored our whippets they were his babies.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2008, 12:16 PM
a border Collie! or a Aussie?
Angel44
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-12-2008, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by Freyja View Post
What about a whippet?

They are short coated easy to care for being a low maintenace dog. They usually have breed classes at open shows although at champ shows do get a very big entry often well over 200 total entry. They are easy for a child to handle my son Ben started handling classes with my whippets and they adore kids.

I also know of people that do agility with their whippets they can take a lot of training but are a joy to own and would get on well with your GSD. Our old GSD adored our whippets they were his babies.
I would say a whippet too Great family dogs who are easy to care for and although can be stubborn, relatively easy to train
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2008, 01:34 PM
To show a dog well it is important that you are really into that breed and fully understand it, so guess my answer would be get the breed you love best and then think about showing it.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2008, 02:26 PM
How about a nice showline GSD?
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-12-2008, 02:57 PM
Staffy.....
Boxer.....
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2008, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
To show a dog well it is important that you are really into that breed and fully understand it, so guess my answer would be get the breed you love best and then think about showing it.
I totally agree with you.

Also think it's a good idea to visit a large show like Crufts or another Champ show perhaps?
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2008, 06:44 PM
well my fave breed is the gsd-but as many people will know im not too keen on the show lines.
i do love the ckcs-just been at agility comp and my friend has one, called reg hes absolutely gorgeous and my dogs love him!!
i am going to crufts so i think i will have to have a look round
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >